Welcome to the International Emetophobia Society | The Web's Largest Meeting Place for People With Emetophobia.

My little girl woke up Sunday morning and got sick in my bed. She V* most of Sunday morning. We gave her a Phenargan and at first it didn't help, but then she stop V* and I thought it was over. She started running high fever Monday all day. On Tuesday, she started with the diarrhea and I gave her some Immodium. Well, I thought she was about over it and then on yesterday, my aunt gave her some fried chicken and she V* again one time. So, I was liked freaking out all evening yesterday because she had V* again. I thought she was almost over it. Well, anyway, she didn't V* anymore last night, but wanted to eat all kinds of food. I would fix her something and she would take a few bites and not want it. She ate some french fries last night and slept through the night fine. She woke up this morning and wanted to go to school, so I dressed her and she wanted a coke. So, my aunt gave her one. No sooner than they got in the car, she V* again. I don't know what the hell this stuff is that she has. I feel like she is not going to get over it. She did still want to go to school today so she went. She has been acting okay but just wanting to lie down a lot, like she is weak. And she tells me all night long thatshe is hungry. Does this sound like Rotavirus to anyone of you? I don't know. But , I have heard that there have been some cases of it lately. If anyone has went through this lately with someone who has been sick for more than just a day or two, please reply. I am trying to see if this is just a normal virus or is this rotavirus. My daughter has never been sick with a virus this long before. Anything any of you could tell me would help. I am like going crazy here trying to deal with this.

Maryp

Mary, I do hope your daughter is feeling better, one of my co-workers has her son in the hosipital with the Rotavirus now, so far they have been able to control the v*** but not the D*** , so they are trying to get that under control. I read that the V*** can last up to I think 3 days, but the D** up to 9 days.. I think 3 days of V** sounds like an eternity for me, my prayers go out to u and your daughter. Ihope she starts to feel better soon. Christy

I'm sorry to say this, but when I read your thread all I could think is that I couldn't believe you sent your child to school, possibly with a virus that she could be spreading to other children. I find it odd that someone who is afraid of sickness would subject other families to it. Not cool at all.. Take her to a doctor, don't send her to school.

I'm sorry, but that just offended me. That offends me a thousand times more than reading posts (even the descriptive ones) about people being sick...

\"This too shall pass\"

Actually, rotavirus is some v* mainly severe massive d*. It does not sound like rotavirus to me. Just a little advice, you shouldnt try to stop it with Immodium because d* is just a way of the body trying to rid itself of the virus. D* is the way that it does it. If they v* it is usually the first day or so, but CAN be up to 3 days. My advice is to just watch her, keep her hydrated. If she v*, dont give her any solids, give her clear liquids for a good 12 hours and make sure the v* has stopped...then introduce the BRAT diet...(bananas, rice, applesauce, toast (no butter). NO DAIRY! NOTHING GREASY! The body takes awhile to recover from stuff like this!!

Keep us posted[img]smileys/smilies_02.gif[/img]Edited by: madisonsmom

All I have to say is gross. How are you doing now? How is your daughter? God bless you!

There is a little boy here in my town that was just in the hospital with the rotavirus. He only had the "V" part for a couple days, but he still has the "D" I heard from one of his moms friends (that cuts my hair) say that he had 11 diapers on Thus. I think that it sounds like your daughter may have had a virus and that you may have introduced solid food to soon. I remember when my oldest was about 2, she had a bad virus and ended up in the hospital. She only "V" twice, but had diarrhea so bad she dehydrated. Her doc told us it was just gastroenteritis. When they sent her home, they told us to keep her on a bland diet, well ............. 3 days after she was home, I had to go back to school and my ma in law kept her, she fed her something she wasnt supposed to have and well, guess what I was cleaning up later that night ............... I was sooooooo mad. Sorry for the long story, my point being, she may not have been ready for solid food, my daughter wasnt and that was 3-4 days after she was released from the hospital. Please keep us posted on how she is doing.

I agree with Leigh. They usually do stool cultures if they suspect rotavirus.

Thanks to everyone that gave me support. She is fine now and I took her to the doctor on Thursday evening. He said that the rotavirus was going around and that it was possible that is what she had. He didn't do any tests on her because by then, she was pretty much over it. She was just acting so tired with no energy at all. And to Shiva, I don't normally send my child to school when she is sick like that. That morning, she said that she felt fine. After she left for school was when she V* again. I told my aunt not to send her but she said that she felt fine and that she wanted to go to school. They called her doctor and he said as long as she wasn't running a temp that she was okay to go to school. I was a nervous wreck all day worrying about her. But, she in fact was fine that day. She ate and played and acted as though nothing was wrong at all. I don't know if it was rotavirus because I find that odd that no one in her class has had anything. And these are like four year olds who I am sure don't wash their hands near about enough. I think if it would have been rotavirus, more than just my kid would have had it. But, hopefully if she didn't have it, she won't get it later. When I spoke to the doc's nurse, she said that there was some bad virus going around and that lots of families were calling in with it. So, I guess I wasn't the only one suffering at the time.

It sounded like a virus to me. Although I know it was hard for you to go through. I think when us emets have someone sick, like our kids, we want it to be anything but a stomach virus. Know what I mean. Like that makes the vomiting any better, lol!! I just thought it sounded like a virus because, she didnt have much diarrhea and she was still vomiting when she ate, even after she seemed to be over it. My daughter did that, she only vomited twice on a Sat. but the diarrhea was relentless. By Sun.morning she was so dehydrated, I call her pediatrician and he said to bring her on to the hospital. The tested her for rotavirus, but turns out it was just gastroenteritis. She came home Mon, and was ok, but I kept her on that BRATS diet. She did fine until my ma in law kept her that Wed. She actually fed her okra. Believe you me, that was the grossest thing I have had to clean up yet!!!!

Sorry guys, I am not trying tp be gross, I guess that has been so long ago now, til I can actually look back and talk about it.

Anyway, I am so glad that your daughter is well now!!!!\

What state do you live in? I hope not near mine!! UGH!! We have had rotavirus here...

WHEN IS THIS CRAP GONNA GIVE US A BREAK!

To Madisonsmom,

I live in Louisiana. I have never known anyone with rotavirus. I have only ever heard of it on this site. But when I did bring my daughter into the doctor, he did say they had been seeing some cases of it. He didn't do any tests on her to see if she had it, but he said it was possible. But, I am kind of wondering now. I don't think she had it because of what I have been hearing about it. But, a lady I know told me that a friend of hers' son had it recently. He had it last year and was hospitalized because of it. But this time, it wasn't as bad. But other than him, personally, I don't know anyone else who has had it. So, with my luck, she probably didn't have it and will get it. I just pray that she dosen't get that. But, like I said , the nurse did tell me that 9 out of 10 calls that they were getting were people who had it and was getting it again or whole families with it. I was like OMG, this could be real bad. I don't know what's going around, but my little girl started with it on last Sunday and didn't really get her appetite back until like on Saturday of this weekend. She was really barely eating anything. But she didn't dehydrate so we did something right. I hope wherever you are, that you don't encounter this.

Maryp

I'm sorry, Maryp. I guess I am feeling a little anxious about sending my daughter to school these days and I took it out on you. I'm just not used to hearing about so much sickness so late in the season and it's taking it's toll on me.

I hope your little one is alright. And I hope you will accept my apology.

Beth
    \"This too shall pass\"

UGH! I think it is better in our area.

Hope you all stay healthy and safe[img]smileys/smilies_01.gif[/img]

I am not sure what is going on here. I keep hearing stories of emergency rooms being over full, but I don't know the reason.

I do know that I had quite a challenge today and I don't know if rotovirus is going around here or what.

Last weekend my daughter had her friend stay over (it was her first sleepover, and I was feeling brave). Well, then Wednesday the little girl was not in school, so I had my daughter call her and ask why not. She responded that she had a belly ache, but was feeling much better. That was all she said and she was in school the following day, so I just assumed she felt off or had some d* or something like that. Last weekend I agreed that the girls could get together again this weekend, so we invited her over for the afternoon today. Her parents dropped her off and when I called them later about what time I should bring her home is when her mom told me that she wasn't feeling well, so could I drop her back home. Well, this is when I start to panic. I ask the little girl about her sickness earlier that week and she says "Oh, I threw up twice on Wednesday". Of course I started to panic. I wanted her out of my house so bad. You know.. we hear all the stuff about how long after certain viruses are contagious and such. Well, I got her home and then came back and lysoled everything and threw Jade in the shower. I am feeling much better, but I am still finding myself being worried about whether rotovirus is in our area, or what the girl had. I am sure I am letting myself become stressed out about this for no reason. GEEZ, I even threw out the cup she drank from!

Well, now I am just doing my positive self talk. I was really disapointed in myself for panicking because things have been going okay here, but I am trying not to beat myself up and just move on. I keep trying to tell myself that I am sure someone has been in my home before who had been sick within the past few days of visiting, but because I didn't know, I didn't freak. So, I am just trying to not obsess and not be worried about sending her to school. I've been working so hard on this, so a set back makes me feel awful, you know? I guess the one good thing is that the girl did v* only two times and obviously felt up to going to school the very next day. It's so much scarier when it's like a week long thing. YIKES!

So, it is Rotovirus season?
    \"This too shall pass\"

Yes...it is Rotavirus season. (Early spring) BUT it does not sounds like that little girl had rotavirus. Rotavirus usually affects little kids but can affect older people, adults and whoever.

Rotavirus usually starts with v* and then most of the time the get a low grade temp (not always) the MASSIVE d*. It is mainly a d* illness...with some v*. THe incubation is generally 1-4 days and this can last 3 to 10 days. The d* is very watery and very frequent. Usually it affects adults like a regular sv with lots of d*.

Here is some information on it:
    <H1>Rotavirus</H1>

<UL>
    <UL>
    <LI>Rotavirus infection is a viral infection of the digestive tract. It is the most common cause of severe diarrhea in infants and young children in the United States.
    <LI>Rotavirus is easily spread by hand-to-mouth contact with stool from an infected person.
    <LI>Most children with rotavirus diarrhea recover on their own. Some children become very ill with severe vomiting, diarrhea, and life-threatening loss of fluids that requires hospitalization.
    <LI>In 1998, a rotavirus vaccine was approved for use in children. However, the vaccine is no longer recommended for use in the United States because of data that indicated a strong association between the vaccine and bowel obstruction in some infants during the first 1-2 weeks after vaccination.</LI>[/list][/list]

What is rotavirus?[/B]

Rotavirus infection is an infection of the digestive tract. It is the most common cause of severe diarrhea in infants and young children in the United States.

What is the infectious agent that causes rotavirus infection?

Infection is caused by group A rotaviruses, which are wheel-shaped viruses.

Where is rotavirus found?

Rotavirus occurs worldwide. Rotaviruses infect the intestine and are passed in the stool of infected persons.

How do people get rotavirus infection?

Rotavirus spreads very easily. The virus is transmitted by hand-to-mouth contact with stool from an infected person. The virus can be passed from one person to another by touching a hand contaminated by the virus. The virus can also be transmitted by merely touching a surface or object that has been contaminated by an infected person. The virus then enters the body through contact with the mouth. Children can spread rotavirus both before and after they develop symptoms.

What are the signs and symptoms of rotavirus infection?

Rotavirus infection usually starts with fever and vomiting, followed by diarrhea. The diarrhea can be mild to severe and generally lasts 3-9 days.

How soon after exposure do symptoms appear?

Illness usually begins 3 days after exposure.

What complications can result from rotavirus infection?

Most children with rotavirus diarrhea recover on their own, but some children become very ill with severe vomiting, diarrhea, and loss of fluids (dehydration). Children with severe diarrhea can lose body fluids very quickly and may need to be hospitalized for special therapy to replace fluids and restore chemical balance. The seriousness of infection generally decreases with the number of infections. First infections tend to be the most severe.

How is rotavirus infection diagnosed?

Infection is diagnosed by a laboratory test on a stool sample.

Who is at risk for rotavirus infection?

Every child is likely to be infected with rotavirus at least once in the first 5 years of life. Severe diarrhea and dehydration occur mainly in children aged 3 to 35 months. Children who have been infected once can become infected ag

I asked her what she ate, hopeing that she maybe ate something that didn't agree with her (since it lasted only 1 day and she v*ed only twice) but all she said was "goldfish crackers". So, I don't know. I am going in between the stages of trying to analyze the why's and how's and then telling myself that it doesn't matter and to think positively. Again.. the only consistent thing I can think to tell myself is that whether she had something contagious or something else, it only lasted one day, so I don't have too much to panic about (hopefully). The other thing that bothers me is that she was the same girl who had the tummy bug 2 mos ago who was projectile v*. I wish I could stop thinking about this girls health and how it effects my thinking and comfort level with my daughter being at school.

Does anyone know of any other viruses going on right now?
    \"This too shall pass\"

To Shiva,

I want to tell you that I do accept your apology. If I was one of the mothers of another child and found outthat a kid may have had rotavirus and her mother sent her to school, I would have reacted the same way. But, I don't know for sure if my daughter had rotavirus or not. She didn't have real bad d* and I have heard that that is like the main side effect. But, just to answer your question, I do really believe that there is a sv going around. My little girls doctor said that there had been a lot of people with sv in to see him. So, just be careful and cleanly. But, on another note, me and my husband went out on Saturday night to hear a band that we always go to listen to. Well, they were suppossed to play second because another band was opening for them. Well, they played first because one of the guys in the band had been sick the day before and he still wasn't feeling good. So, they played first in case the guy got sick again. I was like OMG, I know this isn't happening. I was trying to take my eyes off of him and forget about it, but I couldn't. I kind of kept watching him. He looked okay to me when they were on stage, but after the show, he disappeared. I asked one of the other guys wives where he was, and she said that he went home to take some more medicine because he was fighting a bad sv. But, she said that he was coming back. So, I told my husband that I was ready to go and we left before they got back. I asked the sick guys wife if she thought it was a virus or something that he ate. She said they knew someone else who had it too. So, I guess there is for sure a sv going around. I hope that it dissappears guickly though.

I havent heard of anything going around in my area. Virus do "go around" all year round. BUT outbreaks occur more commonly in the winter. So I doubt very seriously its an outbreak...but I could be wrong. At least not in Maryland anyway!

Witht he exception of the rotavirus. I am always on sv alert!

Maryp,

Geez, I am sorry that your night kinda got distracted with that. I am sure that was quite a challenge for you. And the guy as well! How does a person with a sv get on stage and perform!? Yikes!

Thank you for accepting my apology. I have been having good days where I feel I can face anything and then bad ones where I just want to shut myself in my house! I think I have been having harder times dealing these days because of outside stress (stuff to do with things other than the emet) and because I just took myself off of my meds.

My doctor tells me things such as this little girl was a challenge for me to face and without these challenges of people being sick around us and sv's going around, I would have a much harder time conquering this monster. I guess that makes sense.

Anyway.. Thanks for listening!

Beth
    \"This too shall pass\"

DO adults v* with rotavirus?I read Madisonsmom's post but I'm still confused because I always thought only kids got it.

Madison's mom is right about Maryland being hit by the sv in winter
    months, but nothing would surprise me this year. It seems as
    though the sv is making several different mutations and surviving quite
    nicely.

Rotavirus is something different from Norwalk or noroviruses typcially
    associated with the stomach virus as we know it. Rotavirus is
    spread commonly throughout preschools with toddlers being the most
    vulnerable. Adults can and do catch it, although usually a milder
    form of it with diarrhea only.

Srping time is the time for rotavirus. I called it the
    Easter/Passover disease. It seems to appear right in time for the
    those holidays. By the middle of May it is usually gone. I
    say usually with a great deal of hesitation because this year has been
    so atypical.

Stella

Have you heard of anything Stella? I was hearing of the rotavirus here probably 3 weeks ago.

I haven't read all the reponses, so pardon me if I repeat what other's have said.

My daughter had rotavirus last June. It lasted three weeks.It's different than the usual 24 hour sv, in that it lasts much longer and they suffer with severe wattery diahrrea, so much so that dehydration in infants/toddlers is common. She also v* several times during that 3 week period, but not every day. The only way to confirm it is to take in a stool sample (sorry if that's TMI). You can get it more than once, but the first time you get it is usually the most severe. She also hadsevere stomach cramping. There were days I thought she was getting better, and then she'd be sick again.There's no treatment for it and I was told not to give her anything to stop it cause that's the body's way of ridding itself of the virus. They did at one time give a vaccination to infants for it, but pulled it from the market due to possibly intestinal complications.

I suspect my son and I also had it when he was about 18 months, butwhen I called my ped she told menot to bring him in unless heseemed to be getting dehydrated becausethere was so much stuff going aroundand with his immune system already compromised, it wasbest not to expose him to anything else.

Hope your little one is feeling better.

madisonsmom,

I did not hear much about rotavirus, but the sv thing has been nonstop
    since October with a few days here and there that I would not hear
    about it.

Stella

UGH Stella...STILL?

It is not that bad here. I havent really heard of anything. I guess cause I havent asked. I know rotavirus made the news here about 3 weeks ago but its dying out. I am reading on the other board I go on though. Isnt there any other germs surviving out there? GOSH![img]smileys/smilies_06.gif[/img]

My kids have been off for spring break this week. I am nervous
    about going back on Monday afternoon for fear of hearing about some
    disgusting sv going around. That seems to have been the lay of
    the land this entire school year. Where are head colds and
    allergies when you need them?

Stella