Welcome to the International Emetophobia Society | The Web's Largest Meeting Place for People With Emetophobia.

Default Panic/agoraphobia bad-should I quit job?

Well, I have been having panic attacks lately that are so bad I feel so nauseated and they won't go away until I'm back home(even with medication). Now I'm afraid to leave the house but only to go a couple minutes away. I've been debating whether to give up my cleaning job for now. I have a friend that said she would fill in. I just don't want to worry all week long whether I will be able to do it for one, have a panic attack on the way there and have to cancel-thus letting them down, or worst of all-having one there so terrible that I'd have to suffer all the way home and be embarrassed for leaving in the middle of it. I just feel like being upfront and telling them what's going on right now and taking a break to figure out what's up with my anxieities and try to get better. I know what's up-ememtophobia-I'm constantly thinnking about if this or that will make me get sick, every little twinge, thought, smell makes me feel nauseated and afraid. The only real safe place is in my home.

I'm trying not to be a big baby but I've been letting those close to me know how bad my anxieities have gotten-can't really hide it when you can't leave your house and people have been surprisingly supportive-they don't necessarily know what to say. I wish someone knew what to say though, cause I want to get better again-don't want to be afraid to leave my house. Want to be free!!!

Default Re: Panic/agoraphobia bad-should I quit job?

I know it can be though going to work when you feel in a panic and terrified. But in my opion I really would hate to see you give into it and quit your job. I have been in your place and if you quit and stay home it will get harder harder to leave and work past it. Are in in therapy? I go and I find it very helpful.

Im having a hard time with work right now due to anxiety/morning sickness. I want nothing more then just to stay home and avoid everything. I did give into it today and stayed home. But I know it wont help anything to keep calling in sick. The longer I stay in my house house the more work it takes to start going out again.

No one can tell you what is best for you but I feel like quiting your job is just letting your phobia win.

Good luck to you.

I agree with kellybeth. Yes it would be easier in the short term to take time off but it would do so much damage long term and who can say how long it might take you just to get back to the level you're at now. Im struggling too at the moment and between feeling like crap myself and knowing there is a sv* raging around the town I live in - well you can just imagine the state Im in. Im hoping that I can get through this tough time and come out the other end unscathed and hopefully v* free! Best of luck and try telling yourself you can do this, you're tougher than your fear.

I am in the same boat as you, I hate my job ! Every time, I get nauseous, sick, etc. I dont know why. I blame it on my anxiety, but I often dont feel anxious at work. this sucks !

Thanks for your posts. Kellybeth, my kitty looks like yours! :-). Well, I've heard this from several people that if I quit I would possibly go backwards and I don't want that. I know when my panic got really bad before I did quit everything and took a year & a half off then got totally better. Maybe that's what I'm thinking will happen again. I was agreeing that I should't quit but then tonight, my sister-in-law came over and she wanted fastfood for dinner, of course not what I wanted. I was feeling too much anxiety to eat all of mine and was a feeling a little nauseated so quit eating. Then I got a beer and we were just sitting around talking, having a good time. Well I have acid reflux too and sometimes beer makes my stomach burn a little, not a real big deal. This time I started feeling like I was going to be sick and started panicking, but didn't say anything. I'm freaked out cause this has never happened before. Needless to say I'm terrified of being sick. But why am I getting so bad??? I can't hardly go 3 miles from my house to my bank without panicking-well I can't right now. I'm convinced I will get sick. Why???

Unfortunately, I think I have made up my mind about at least taking a break. I have someone who will fill in for me until I'm ready to go back. Usually when I get this much anxiety, nausea, and panic there's something stressful going on in my life. But I can't really pinpoint what's going on. Maybe just the turmoil of the decision of quitting or not....??? And I my thoughts just keep going towards getting sick. I just can't take it anymore. It's so hard. I know all of you know how hard it is to deal with.

Thanks for your posts and support.