Welcome to the International Emetophobia Society | The Web's Largest Meeting Place for People With Emetophobia.

Default Going out for 18th (don't want alcohol) What do I do?

Hello,

I just turned 18 and tonight is the first night I will be going out with my friends. I'm from Australia
    so 18 is the legal drinking age and I've never really been into drinking, not even because of
    emetophobia. I've just chosen to not drink at all the parties when everyone else is. But as
    tradition makes it, I do have to have a drink tonight. My friends like to buy the birthday girl or
    boy plenty which scares me because I don't want it! I know I can just deny it and say I don't want
    it but I almost seem like a party pooper! Not to mention I'm anxious anyway just in general and
    kind of just want to stay in and watch a movie and go to bed! I hate that this fear has made me
    become like this. Any other 18 year old would want to just go out and party and and I just can't
    do that.
    Please, any advice.

Thank you and I hope your having a good day or night!

Default Re: Going out for 18th (don't want alcohol) What do I do?

Well, even though it's tradition, you don't have to do it esp. if you are uncomfortable with it. I realize I'm a bit late replying to your post but you should never do something you are uncomfortable with. I don't drink either and I doubt I'll even go to a bar for my 21st. You can definitely have fun sober! Happy belated birthday!
    I wanna feel the change consume me,
    Feel the outside turning in.
    I wanna feel the metamorphosis and
    Cleansing I've endured within
    My shadow

Disclaimer: **I try and answer posts to the best of my knowledge but unfortunately, I am not a medical professional so take my advice/recommendations with a grain of salt.

You don't have to go out and drink. For my 21st (i'm in the USA) my boyfriend took me out to a romantic dinner at the local pub. We had steak and ordered wine, but it was gross so I didn't have any :P

Lay it out straight with your friends. Tell them you don't want to drink, and perhaps skip going to a bar or club. It's YOUR birthday after all! If you decide to go to the bar, make sure they know that you aren't drinking, and not to waste their money on alcohol, because even if they buy it for you you won't drink it and they'll be wasting their money.

Have fun! Happy Birthday! Remember, the day is about YOU not them!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

You may find these links helpful!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Happy Belated Birthday...I hope you are doing well and didn't get pressured into drinking too much....

You just have to know your limits (Mine is maybe three...maybe lol) but I don't drink much at all...I'll have one every once in a while.

You can definitely have a lot of fun when alcohol isn't involved.

yes HAPPY BDAY!!! yes, you really dont have to do anything. i dont drink, dont like it. and my emet adds to that, so does my ibs. its your day, if you dont feel like going out, then dont, you dont have to please anyone but yourself. just stay in with a movie or whatevs if thats what makes you happy. and if you want to go out, just have a sip of champagne or something like that. i applaud you for not falling into the whole drinking crap...its highly overrated.

Its your birthday, you do what you want !

Thanks everyone! I did end up going to club and having a really good time. All your advice was really fantastic. Thanks so much!

Glad you had fun!!
    I wanna feel the change consume me,
    Feel the outside turning in.
    I wanna feel the metamorphosis and
    Cleansing I've endured within
    My shadow

Disclaimer: **I try and answer posts to the best of my knowledge but unfortunately, I am not a medical professional so take my advice/recommendations with a grain of salt.