Welcome to the International Emetophobia Society | The Web's Largest Meeting Place for People With Emetophobia.

Default Ruining my life-quickly

Anyone else feel like emetophobia is ruining their life?

I'm sitting here all depressed, no one to talk to, can't go anywhere because of panic attacks, can't even go to a friend's house. I'm suffering from depression, anxiety, panic disorder, and agoraphobia ALL because of this stupid emetophobia. I know it all stems from that. I don't know why I just realized it, it's quite obvious. I just thought each anxiety disorder stood by itself. I tell people I get panic attacks and they understand better than if I tell them I'm afraid of being sick. I guess I don't want to talk about it because it just seems like a gross conversation to have.

I hate this phobia and it's quickly getting worse and out of control.

Default Re: Ruining my life-quickly

All the time, but I realized that I am letting the phobia get the best of me. You should try your hardest to get out there, find distractions, have fun, etc. There are so many things that I have not been able to do, that I regret so much. I do not go to parties, drink with friends, etc because I am so scared-but I plan on doing all those things this summer. Its a lot easier to say it than to do it, but we really have to try (:

I've been doing "ok" with things but have noticed a gradual worsening of panic attacks and sensitivity to smells and nausea when I eat. But just a couple weeks ago I had a really bad panic attack doing a short errand. I felt extremely nauseated and had to pull over a couple times. My medication I take for panic attacks didn't even help it, nothing did until I got home. So now I'm afraid to go places because I feel there's no way out of a panic attack if I'm away from home. I can go for walks around my neighborhood and run to town(I live in a small town) but I can't go more than a mile away without experiencing some anxiety and panic. I've been trying to still get out-'exposure' but I feel like I've landed flat on my butt and have to start all over again. I feel like I'm letting people down when I can't do certain things.

I have also been experiencing the sensitivity to smells thing, which constantly freaks me out because I then think im sick. I can relate to what youre saying, like a month a ago I had a HUGE panic attack at my job, and ever since then I get freaked out whenever I go to work, even if i dont feel sick. Im pretty sure its just anxiety, we are setting ourselves up in our heads :/