Welcome to the International Emetophobia Society | The Web's Largest Meeting Place for People With Emetophobia.

Ok I am trying to be as calm as can be, but on the side I am freaking out!! One of my co-workers little boy is in the Hospital, he was dignosed with Rotavirus.. She is leaving now, to be with him, but my son was with him last weekend, and I am just scared, stressed out, I just want to Cry.. I hate this, I really do. I would give anything to just not care, and function normal, a short 10 months ago, I was normal. What could have done this to me, I am 30 yrs old and out of the blue, BAM I am hit with this, fear.. I am a reck, over this. I read about it on line, and see the incubation period is 2 to 4 days. We were togather a week ago today, so I am PRAYING my son and my family are in the clear.. Any advice please.. thanks

It sounds as if you and your son are safe since it has been a week. I imagine he would be exhibiting symptoms by now. I would be just as worried and freaking out if it was me, though. Just try to calm down and not get stressed out. Yeah, that's alot easier said than done, right?!? Keep us updated!

Jess

Yeah I agree w/ Jess, he would have probably shown signs by now. A girl I go to school w/ little brother was just in the hospital w/ Rotavirus too. I looked it up on the CDC website and I think it said symptoms appear sooner than a week. In fact the girl was say in adults and people w/ healthy immune systems they might just feel off and she said she felt queasy (but not sick, no d* or v*) and then a couple days he had it so she was feeling bad that she may have given it to him. Anyhow I think your son is safe! Hope her son is better soon!
    \"As soon as you trust yourself,you will know how to live.\"
    Johann Wolfgang von Goethe
    \"Do not anticipate trouble, or worry about what may never happen. Keep in the sunlight.\"
    Benjamin Franklin

Here's the CDC fact sheet on Rotavirus. Your son is clear. Its and approx. 2 day incubation period.

Clinical features: Rotavirus is the most common cause of severe diarrhea among children, resulting in the hospitalization of approximately 55,000 children each year in the United States and the death of over 600,000 children annually worldwide. The incubation period for rotavirus disease is approximately 2 days. The disease is characterized by vomiting and watery diarrhea for 3 - 8 days, and fever and abdominal pain occur frequently. Immunity after infection is incomplete, but repeat infections tend to be less severe than the original infection.

The virus: A rotavirus has a characteristic wheel-like appearance when viewed by electron microscopy (the name rotavirus is derived from the Latin rota, meaning "wheel"). Rotaviruses are nonenveloped, double-shelled viruses. The genome is composed of 11 segments of double-stranded RNA, which code for six structural and five nonstructural proteins. The virus is stable in the environment.

Epidemiologic features: The primary mode of transmission is fecal-oral, although some have reported low titers of virus in respiratory tract secretions and other body fluids. Because the virus is stable in the environment, transmission can occur through ingestion of contaminated water or food and contact with contaminated surfaces. In the United States and other countries with a temperate climate, the disease has a winter seasonal pattern, with annual epidemics occurring from November to April. The highest rates of illness occur among infants and young children, and most children in the United States are infected by 2 years of age. Adults can also be infected, though disease tends to be mild.

Diagnosis: Diagnosis may be made by rapid antigen detection of rotavirus in stool specimens. Strains may be further characterized by enzyme immunoassay or reverse transcriptase polymerase chain reaction, but such testing is not commonly done.

Treatment: For persons with healthy immune systems, rotavirus gastroenteritis is a self-limited illness, lasting for only a few days. Treatment is nonspecific and consists of oral rehydration therapy to prevent dehydration. About one in 40 children with rotavirus gastroenteritis will require hospitalization for intravenous fluids.

Prevention: In 1998, the U.S. Food and Drug Administration approved a live virus vaccine (Rotashield) for use in children. However, the Advisory Committee on Immunization Practices (ACIP) recommended that Rotashield no longer be recommended for infants in the United States because of data that indicated a strong association between Rotashield and intussusception (bowel obstruction) among some infants during the first 1-2 weeks following vaccination. More information about rotavirus vaccine is available from the National Immunization Program.
    \"As soon as you trust yourself,you will know how to live.\"
    Johann Wolfgang von Goethe
    \"Do not anticipate trouble, or worry about what may never happen. Keep in the sunlight.\"
    Benjamin Franklin

thank you sooo much guys, I am glad u posted that, it ease my mind so much. I still am a worry wart by nature, and can not help but wonder what if he still gets it, I do this to myself, I know. Thanks again guys i appreciate the help.. I have to try and get some wk done all this worrying has had my mind on other things and so I am not doing my wk..Christy

I think too much time has passed for your son to show signs of it now, so I'm sure you're all in the clear now!

Keep us posted on the other little boy, I hope he is ok.