Welcome to the International Emetophobia Society | The Web's Largest Meeting Place for People With Emetophobia.

Default I've been having this gagging feeling...

Every day this week, my throat had been bothering me. Like there is a lump in it. Well anyway, every night since Friday, before i go to bed, i got this constant feeling in my throat like a thump. (fyi i have Anxiety)

But in the morning it would go away but on and off it felt like a lump. But today, i kept getting this feeling of gagging, the back of my tongue it sometime's twitch like before you gag. But i wouldn't. Around my cheekbone the muscels feel a bit tight and it's almost like swallowing down roughly. Really uncomfortable.

I went on Yahoo.Answers and asked the same question i will tell you right now. I asked, How do i get rid of this gagging feeling or something like that.
    A person replied saying 'oh i got that one time and at the end of the day i threw up.' I know that's just that person, but deep down inside i'm frightened that i will throw up because i had it for awhile now.

My stomach hasn't been hurting to much. I'm just hoping i'm not coming down with the stomach bug.

Am i actually sick? How do i get rid of the feeling? And what do you think is causing it?

(again, i have anxiety. So i don't know if this is connected)

Default Re: I've been having this gagging feeling...

I get that a lot. I still worry but o try to remember that it happens a lot and nothing happens. I like to take a benadryl and a nap and normally feel better
    If you try and tell me a phobia is unreal. I dare you to live a day, and feel what I have to feel.

- michelle

Check out my daily blog
    To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
    for stories, poems, and all sorts of stuff related to my emetophobia.

Chalk that up to anxiety. A lot of us anxiety sufferers get that. Sometimes for me it feels like there is a pill or piece of food stuck in my throat.

I did a quick google search and found that A LOT of people have this gagging feeling when they are anxious or panicked. Many people that described it didn't even have emetophobia, they had some other phobia or a completely unrelated stress. I wouldn't worry about it, now that I think about it, I have had that feeling when I'm anxious. your probably focusing on it too, so if I start thinking about my through getting a lump (which I am now) I feel a lump in my throat. Or if I start thinking about my toes being cold, I will bring the attention to my toes and I will start to think they are cold. Not sure if I'm making sense but bottom lines is, if you focus on something so much then you will make it worse and probably scare yourself. Don't worry, your not alone. I hope your okay and doing well. x

Trust me even if you did gag which you won't nothing will come up. When first started getting this it would send me into a panic for hours, to the point where I would gag cause I made it that much worse cause of the anxiety and nothing came up, I even tried to make myself gag so the feeling would go away but still never came up. Cause the thing with this is, your body really doesn't need to v* and it has nothing to do with your stomach. Just remember that when this happens.

I googled the symptoms of anxiety a little while ago, and lump in the throat was one of the main symptoms !
    The past is only the future with the lights on;
    quit crying your eyes out, & baby come on.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

I have this from GERD, it's not nice at all If you know it's not from anxiety, don't let other people make you think it is.

I have GERD too, but i 100% know that anxiety makes it worse.
    The past is only the future with the lights on;
    quit crying your eyes out, & baby come on.