Welcome to the International Emetophobia Society | The Web's Largest Meeting Place for People With Emetophobia.

Hybrid View

Default Emets and Packed Cinemas

As for the title, yeah I'm seeing Hunger Games in D-Box (motion seating!) at midnight with some friends. So excited! This got me to thinking. I know many of us are nervous about going to films (or have been at one point.) I'm at the point in my emet that I know cinemas can be my worst nightmare, but I do enjoy going and suffer little to no anxiety when I go. When I was really scared, I would still go for a film I was really excited about. A midnight launch especially, and those are packed!

What I was wondering is if anyone else finds a stellar movie an incentive to push aside their fear for a few hours?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

You may find these links helpful!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Default Re: Emets and Packed Cinemas

I know it's a common place of avoidance for emets, but for some reason it has never bothered me. Thank goodness!

Cinemas have never bothered me either, I don't really see how you would be in any more danger catching something there than you would anywhere else. Although I did go and see Woman in Black the other day (so good) and someone got up and left like 20 mins in and my first thought was 'oh god they've gone to be sick' lol so ridiculous.

I think I was concerned about it though i'd get over it for something I really wanted to see. Motion seating sounds fun! No idea what D-box means though? Sometimes I just push my emet to one side and think fuck it i'm just gonna do it, largely when it comes to something like going out for some really good food or going to a theme park and then just worry about it later if I have to. Sometimes I regret that though..like if I can't find anywhere to wash my hands but reallyyyy wanna eat some food I just eat it and then later I get sooo angry with myself for knowingly putting myself through something anxiety triggering.

Cinemas have never bothered me - my OH and I used to go all of the time, but now its a bit too much hassel to get a babysitter for 3

I rarely go to movie theaters, but that has nothing to do with my Emet. It has more to do with the fact that is costs so much, so I would rather just buy the movie when it comes out unless I am really dying to see a movie, but that doesn't happen very often. I see nothing wrong with going to a film that you are going to enjoy. I read all three of the books from that series and I loved em, so I am hoping the movie will be pretty close to the books. Enjoy the film! Let me know how it was and I may consider shelling out the money to see it in the theaters!

I don't worry too too much about germs in public. I just make sure to wash my hands before using them to eat or sticking them in my mouth, if you do that, it is pretty hard to pick up a virus.

I'm with Twinmom....I rarely go to the movies anymore cause of the prices. I'd rather wait 3 months for it to come out on DVD or blu-ray and simply own it forever for the same cost as going once. Plus the smell of movie theater popcorn absolutely kills me....I LOVE the artery clogging, god-knows-what it's made of buttery oil they smother it with, but it just rips my stomach apart if I eat any. So I prefer not to torture myself!

Avengers... I don't care how packed that cinema is - I'm there, lining up, in the crowd, frickin' seeing that sh* first day!

When I'm having a bad time with emet, cinemas and theatres/events are a huge cause of anxiety. Festivals are the worst. But if it's something I want to see, I'll be squished in a crowd of drunk/wasted people at the front of a huge festival crowd! Man thinking about it, I've been to some pretty grotty events actually. Ha ha. I'd say 90% of the time, the anxiety completely goes once I'm there and enjoying myself.

I prefer to sit towards the sides in a cinema as that tends to help with the anxiety (easy escape?) but it's not the best viewing-wise so if it's something I want to enjoy, I try not to.

It used to be a huge problem for me. Even if I wasn't feeling anxious, just going in made me feel so trapped. If I went, I'd have to set on the very edge of the row so I could make a quick escape. Now they're not a problem, but I don't think I'd go for the motion seating. I remember I went on that Star Wars ride at Disney World and it made me so sick! But I'm sensitive to those things, I even feel car sick playing Wii. haha

It used to not bother me until recently, and i think i am becoming claustrophobic. I get all weird at movies, in school amphitheaters, elevators, concerts, school dances, etc. Basically anywhere where there is a lot of people. idk if thats actually claustrophobia or just my emet :/
    The past is only the future with the lights on;
    quit crying your eyes out, & baby come on.

I think I'm one of the emets who isn't really bothered by packed cinemas, but if it is packed I'm usually a little uncomfortable but that's because I just don't like to be around a lot of people at once (kinda like a claustrophobia thing). But generally the movie theaters I go to are rather empty.