Welcome to the International Emetophobia Society | The Web's Largest Meeting Place for People With Emetophobia.

Unhappy Abdominal ct scan, freaking out....

I am new to this site and have got to have a abdominal ct scan. I am so scared of drinking the milky drink that I can't have it done. Has anyone else had it done without drinking the milky stuff and perhaps drinking water instead? I think I could handle that better. The scan is to see what is happen in my small intestine. Does the contrast that they put into your arm make you feel like V or not? How do you feel after the scan? I really need to get it done but the fear of v is so great that I can't do it. Any advice please.

Default Re: Abdominal ct scan, freaking out....

My sister has had her abdominal area scanned before, and she's had to drink some of that nasty stuff too. But as far as I know it never caused her to v*....and trust me, she has a very weak stomach. So if that were to cause anyone to v*, it would be her.

I hope someone else can give you more advice on it. I've never had it done personally so I can't help you through it. I wish I could tell you what you want to know, and answer all your questions. :/

Quote Originally Posted by PhoenyxAngel View Post
    My sister has had her abdominal area scanned before, and she's had to drink some of that nasty stuff too. But as far as I know it never caused her to v*....and trust me, she has a very weak stomach. So if that were to cause anyone to v*, it would be her.

I hope someone else can give you more advice on it. I've never had it done personally so I can't help you through it. I wish I could tell you what you want to know, and answer all your questions. :/

Thank you for your reply. I am looking into maybe having it done with just water as I could cope with that. I understand the nasty milky stuff has a laxative effect to and really don't want to go through that either. Would appreciate any other views. Thanks.

I had a ct scan on my stomach about 2 years ago though I didnt have to drink anything. I did have to have some contrast injected into my vein. The nurse warned me that it would make me feel like I was going to wet myself but not to worry cos I wouldnt it was just some weird side effect. She was right and I totally wouldve freaked out if she hadnt warned me haha! Please dont risk your health by not having it done. Explain your fears to the dr and hopefully they can put your mind at ease.

I have had it done and the stuff they make you drink, barium, I'm not going to lie it is AWFUL. It didn't make me sick though it was just hard to get down cuz it tasted so bad. But you should be fine.
    ~*Sharon*~

I did have a couple of barium meal x rays done many years ago, and yes it was very thick and a bit hard to get down it wasnt too bad and I certainly didnt v*. They gave me a large beaker full of the stuff but I only had to drink about half of it and they did give me water to help me to swallow it.

Quote Originally Posted by claire43 View Post
    I did have a couple of barium meal x rays done many years ago, and yes it was very thick and a bit hard to get down it wasnt too bad and I certainly didnt v*. They gave me a large beaker full of the stuff but I only had to drink about half of it and they did give me water to help me to swallow it.
    Thanks for your info everyone. The thing is I have an intolerance to milk & it makes me V* so I don't drink it ever. I will call my doctor in the morning and explain my fears a see what he can do to help me have the test. It is so important I have it done.

Last time I had the test done I drink something kinda like gaterade vs the milky stuff. Had no problems with that what so ever. I would ask about that.

I have had a few of these tests. Some I had the chalky thick stuff, which I will confirm is difficult to swallow. It just made me feel full and they also told me not to be surprised if my next couple... trips to the bathroom looked a bit chalky. I also had the ones with the orange Tang-like powder, though not tasty, was easier to swallow.

Hope your tests are OK

One other question did the stuff you had to drink give you d* and was you rushing to the loo? Will be calling the doctor this morning and will ask about doing the test without the milky stuff. Also was the ct scanner claustrophobic at all? How long where you in the scanner? Lots of questions I know but need to know so I can feel confident that I will be able to cope with it. Thanks.

I had a ct scan done a couple years ago and the drink wasn't so bad at first. But there was NO side effects I had no D* or V* or N*. It was just gross and I dumped most of down the sink. But they did make me drink a cup of it right before the ct scan while watching me, so im assuming all you really need is that cup before hand because they found what they expected to find in me. It wasnt claustrophobic because they only put you in the tunnel up to your stomach so your head is completely out. I don't remember the exact time but I don't think it wasn't that long. I wouldn't worry.....good luck

I had an abdominal ct 2 years ago. I didn't have a milky drink, it was a watery drink that tasted of aniseed. By the way, the milky drink doesn't actually contain milk I don't think, it just looks like it.

I also had the contrast injected, which gives you a funny hot feeling, the feeling that you wet yourself and a metallic taste.

The scanner was not claustrophobic at all, I went in feet first so my head was still sticking out. They watch you and talk to you throughout.

I did have d* afterwards, just the one bout.