Welcome to the International Emetophobia Society | The Web's Largest Meeting Place for People With Emetophobia.

Default Stomach Bug Alert!!

There is a stomach bug going around my area at the moment and I am freaking out that I am going to get it. My mom called this morning saying that she has been v-ing all morning, and i was with her yesterday and that day before! what if i caught it? what if my husband caught it too?? i am so petrified right now! i hate v-ing. i feel like i have no control over my body anymore

Default Re: Stomach Bug Alert!!

Normally you catch the norovirus, or stomach bug, from someone as they are showing symptoms. The only other way to catch it is if your mom used the bathroom, got fecal matter on her hands and didn't wash them, and then contaminated a surface that you touched or touched you. Then you would have had to of consume the virus orally (swallow the virus). So if you wash your hands, the chances of you catching it are greatly reduced. The fact that you're not with her now is also good. As long as you steer clear of her for the next 24-48 hours, I think you should be ok. You and your husband.

Just relax and try to occupy your mind with other things.

Well what makes this really hard is that I need to get gallbladder surgery in two days. Thing is that she wanted to take care of me while recovering. She says that she is feeling better but I am still so paranoid and scared

ok, first of all relax. where do you live? and are you sure it wasnt something she ate? and if you were not around her before she v, then you were not exposed. how far away from her do you live? maybe someone else can care for you for just the first few days?

I am currently living in Bellingham. I don't think it was something that she ate, because she said that she was feeling this way for a couple days before she actually v-ed. She is about 45 minutes away from me. My husband can care for me but the surgery is out her way, and he really would hate to keep me in the car that long with the pain I am going to be in.

hum, thats strange tho, because usually noro is very quick onset, with symptoms coming on fast..so that just doesnt seem like it to me. usually you dont feel bad for a few days before. oh my, if i were you id be completely honest with her and ask her. tell her about your fears and ask her to be extra cautious around you.

well my mom and i suffer from an anxiety disorder too, so sometimes she can feel nauseous due to that. she never actually vomits though unless she drinks too much or has a bug. She got her gallbladder removed years ago, and i get mine out in just two days. So many wonderful things i inherited from my mom lol She knows about my fear and she completely understands. She gets sick of hearing about how scared I am though. I told her I will go back home after the surgery so that she can knock out the virus with some lysol and that she can come visit me in the hospital after the surgery. I am in the process of starting the Emetophobia Recovery System...I am really hoping that it works. It is so strange...I am not afraid of spiders or heights like "normal" people, but i am petrified of v-ing