Welcome to the International Emetophobia Society | The Web's Largest Meeting Place for People With Emetophobia.

Post A website is not healthy for me anymore.

DO NOT GET ME WRONG HERE:
    This website can be helpful to many many people, but I need to say what is on my mind.

When I first joined this forum, I was in the most helpless state of my life. Every night, morning, afternoon, and evening, I would sit in fear of being sick. These thoughts disgusted me. I know how insane they are, I know vomiting won't kill me, but I needed a piece of mind without going to therapy. So, I joined this forum. Every time I felt helpless, i would log on. Just the simple thought of knowing that I'm not alone made my anxiety a little less severe. This website has helped me through many, many severe panic attacks.

But that has changed for me.

I can't, cannnnnnot log onto this website anymore without being flooded with negative feelings and thoughts. Everyone who is an emet knows, even though you don't want to read the negative things, something forces you to do so anyway. About 2 months ago, I began seeing a counselor. I am not cured what so ever, but I do know that not logging into the forum anymore has helped me tremendously. I no longer get the images of other peoples thoughts and stories in my head, I no longer look for pity or attention, I no longer read negative stories which cause my negative thoughts to build and build. My anxiety has reduced, my thoughts don't flood my mind every waking moment, and I feel a little bit more at ease not wondering what others do in situations when they feel like they're going to be sick.

I firmly believe that people with emetophobia need to focus on themselves and only themselves. Sure, this forum is a GREAT stepping stone for an emet who is just learning about the phobia. But if you truly want to recover, try your best to rely on yourself to get better.

Im not saying this will work for everyone, and I am by no means an expert on the phobia, but I thought I should share my thoughts so that some of you can look forwar to a healthy and positive lifestyle.Thank you to everyone who has ever shared kind and compassionate words with me in times of need, your help and your thoughts will always be carried with me.

Default Re: A website is not healthy for me anymore.

To each their own I guess (and I don't mean that in a wise ass way by any means)

To me, I too come on here when I'm panicked and get some good feedback, even if its just a little "feel better" or just little tips of advice to get me through...sometimes its just the medicine I need for a "distraction" knowing that I'm not the only one who has the same thoughts and is freaked by vomit.

I actually like seeing other people's points of views on their emetophobic situations and when it comes down to it, we are all very similar, but all different at the same time you know?

I wish you the very best success in your recovery and remember we are ALWAYS here if you need us. Take care

I find this forum to be very helpful also, but am glad you feel you are getting better. Good Luck!

I consider myself to be more on the recovered side than the crisis side and I like this website, I know a lot of people find it stresses them out more than helps them, but I don't find it particularly triggering. In fact, I find it a good resource. Like Erica says, each to their own! It's great that you've realised this website is a bit of a trigger for you so you know you can avoid it, but you also know that if you ever need it further down the line, you can come back. Good luck!

this site is really all of what you make it. sorry it wasnt for you. best of luck!!

You are right in that the choice to recover is ours to make and we have to focus on it; but some folks might require a little hand holding or guidance. It is just part of the beauty and diversity that makes us so different. I hope you find what you need out there. I am fairly well recovered but still find coming here helpful in one sense or another. If something is too negative for me I avoid it simply or try to see it for what it is i.e negative threads. Oh well! ahaha
    Life is so worth living.

I think there are a number of different reasons people are on this site. Personally, I felt so alone before I found IES and the day I found this site I literally spent the night bawling my eyes out just at the realisation that I'm not alone or crazy and it was what finally made me able to stand up to my fear and recognise it for what it is.

I so find some things triggering. I don't like reading panic posts and probably 90% of the time avoid going in the help & support forum - it sort of makes me feel like v* is "everywhere" when I just see all the panic posts together. I mostly come on here more when I'm feeling depressed and alone because it's such a comfort just to know other people struggle too - it gives me the strength to keep fighting.

Like Latika said^ it is really comforting. I always thought I was alone, and crazy lol. But once I came here, I realized that I am not alone and there are tons of people who do the same things I do ! And that alone helps me (:
    The past is only the future with the lights on;
    quit crying your eyes out, & baby come on.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.