Welcome to the International Emetophobia Society | The Web's Largest Meeting Place for People With Emetophobia.

Unhappy scared of going into hospital for my surgery .... advice needed !!

Hi everyone. I have finally been given a date for my op (total thyroidectomy)after 3 years of waiting, I'm being admitted to hospital this sunday for pre operative preparation then having the surgery on the 9th. i have been estimated a 2 week stay in hospital. For anyone that suffers emet this is a scary prospect, all the superbugs flying around and germs in those places, without the added worries i have. When i was 7 i had an operation and suffered horrifically with PONV (post op nausea and vomiting) I have not been under general anaesthetic since and I'm petrified this might happen to me after the op, the nurse said she will give me an antiemetic, but after researching on the internet, they are not scientifically proven to work. The other thing is, the reason i am being taken in early is to have some other treatment, controlled medication that causes N&V followed by iodine treatment which also causes N&V. So either way it looks like the chances of me not feeling N or V are very slim. I have to have this operation as my health is at serious risk now that i have suffered thyrotoxicosis for so long. But jut because of the prospect I do not want to go in! Does anyone please have any help and advice for me? Anything that may help or anyone who has had this operation?
    Thanks, Hannah xx

Default Re: scared of going into hospital for my surgery .... advice needed !!

There is SO much that can be done to help prevent PONV! Combination IV antiemetics blocking all known v* pathways, using less emetogenic anaesthetic (ie total intravenous anaesthesia using propofol only), avoiding paralytics that require reversal, using a benzo before surgery to minimize or eliminate anxiety pre-op so you are totally calm when you go under, minimal narcotic use when possible, aggressive IV rehydration and oxygenation peri and post op, avoiding too much movement in the early post op hours, especially of the head and eyes, and avoiding oral intake too early- start with small ice chips and slowly work your way up as tolerated. I totally get where you are though, I've had high risk PONV 6 surgeries myself and always feel the same way before. My best advice is to talk to your surgeon and anaesthetist about your fears and about using all the strategies possible to avoid PONV. Also ask for a private hospital room if you can too; they gave me one for free after my last surgery to help reduce anxiety and it was a life saver. Good luck- I'm sure everything will work out to be just fine!
    Disclaimer: Any nutritional or health related advice I give is well intentioned and intended for general educational purposes only that may or may not apply to your personal health situation. It does NOT in any way, shape or form constitute as medical or dietetic advice. I am not your nutritionist and you are not my patient. Please discuss anything you may learn from any of my health related posts with your doctor and nutritionist prior to making any related changes.

Love me or hate me I am who I am. It isn't going to change. Don't confuse a succinct response or commitment to accuracy as being cavalier or patronizing.

I had 90% of my thryoid removed over 20 years ago. I never v* nor can I really remember feeling n* and Im sure Id remember if I had. I was in hospital for 5 or 6 days and the only real problem I remember was my voice - it was really croaky for a few weeks and we all used to laugh cos whenever I spoke we never knew what sound Id make hah!! Im sure everything will be fine.

i also had a partial thyroidectomy ......had no problems at all with n or v.....this was many years before i knew about anti emetics...so didn't know to ask for them.....i also had to take the iodine for a week before.....but i was not in the hospital....carried my little bottle of iodine to work with me......the only problem i had with that was the horrible taste....i always had some cookies or something to stuff in my mouth after i took it....lol.....no n or v from it....i'd just go back to work. also done the radiation pill thing with no problems. i've had two other surgeries since then with no n or v.

try not to worry too much about it....they will keep you comfortable ......

will you be taking thyroid replacement afterwards? i was hyperthyroid before surgery .....now many years later im hypothyroid and on meds for it......it's really hard to regulate that medicine.....but i've truly had no issues with that either......

let us know how it goes
    how i feel about emet
    To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Hi Hannah,

I'm sorry your feeling so scared and worried, but as emet sufferers, this is only a natural reaction to going to hospital. Maybe try not compare your previous experience as a 7 year. You were only quite a small child and your body wasn't able to take on the general anaesthetic as well as an adult would. I know people that have anaesthetic and have usually felt very tired, not hungry and just not themselves. If a doctor or whoever tells you N* and V* may come with the anaesthetic, they are just telling you this so that you know and so they won't be liable for any discomfort of a patient. If n* or v* does happen, just remember your in the best place. You could explain your phobia to them and they may help you with anti nausea meds or something.
    I can't know this for sure, but I would think that even though we all hate hospitals, they have gotta be one of the cleanest places. It's a place for people to get better, not worse. You might even have a window that you could open for fresh air. Just keep your hands clean and try to relax. The added stesses and worries from emetophobia will only make your operation more stressful. I really hope your operation is successful. Stay strong and positive and you will be okay. All the best.

I had a parathyroidectomy and a partial thyroidectomy when I was 13, was in theatre for 6 hours. As soon as I woke up I asked for an antiemetic (even though I felt ok) they gave me I'V cyclizine, it's brilliant, ask your surgeon/anaethestist to give you some as you come round. Good luck.