Hi everyone. I have finally been given a date for my op (total thyroidectomy)after 3 years of waiting, I'm being admitted to hospital this sunday for pre operative preparation then having the surgery on the 9th. i have been estimated a 2 week stay in hospital. For anyone that suffers emet this is a scary prospect, all the superbugs flying around and germs in those places, without the added worries i have. When i was 7 i had an operation and suffered horrifically with PONV (post op nausea and vomiting) I have not been under general anaesthetic since and I'm petrified this might happen to me after the op, the nurse said she will give me an antiemetic, but after researching on the internet, they are not scientifically proven to work. The other thing is, the reason i am being taken in early is to have some other treatment, controlled medication that causes N&V followed by iodine treatment which also causes N&V. So either way it looks like the chances of me not feeling N or V are very slim. I have to have this operation as my health is at serious risk now that i have suffered thyrotoxicosis for so long. But jut because of the prospect I do not want to go in! Does anyone please have any help and advice for me? Anything that may help or anyone who has had this operation?
Thanks, Hannah xx