Welcome to the International Emetophobia Society | The Web's Largest Meeting Place for People With Emetophobia.

Default OT: In need of immediate response

Hey guys, so I've dyed my hair blonde again the other day and it looks pretty good considering I did it myself. My only concern is that there is still some orange tones. Anyone have experience with hair color? Could I use a medium ash blonde to cancel out the orange? It's very subtle but it's still there. Thanks guys! I never go to professionals--too much damn money! I got my hair professionally dyed blonde once and it was over 300 dollars, no thank you! :P
    I wanna feel the change consume me,
    Feel the outside turning in.
    I wanna feel the metamorphosis and
    Cleansing I've endured within
    My shadow

Disclaimer: **I try and answer posts to the best of my knowledge but unfortunately, I am not a medical professional so take my advice/recommendations with a grain of salt.

Default Re: OT: In need of immediate response

I dye my hair a lot, I never go professional either it's waay cheaper to use a bottle. Blonde is a tricky one, i would suggest just dying it again...I had the reverse issue and went from having blonde dyed hair (my natural colour was a dark blonde) to a kind of reddish brown and found that it still looked really light and faded quickly to a kind of gingery colour. I just re dyed it to cover it up and it worked fine. That was when I did do it professional and she told me that cause of the blonde dye I may need to do it twice in quick succession for the colour to hold...but that could have been a money making scam!

If it is just the old dye from when you dyed it dark still peeking through then I don't see any reason not to re-dye to get rid of it completely.

There is something called TONER that you put on your head. It takes the "brassy" out. Do you have a Sally's Beauty supply near you? They sell it. You can also go in to the store and tell them what you need done and they will show you the product you need to fix it. I highlighted mine and ended up with a coppery orange. Used the toner and it fixed it.

I COPIED this from a beauty web page: So, I thought I share this with you today and talk to you about what a toner is. Toners are basically semi-permanent colors that we use on pre-lighten hair to cancel out yellow tones, orange tones, brassiness. They are deposit color only, and they last from 4 to 6 weeks.

Toners are used depending on the results achieved after pre-lighting hair, once the level is achieve we can determine what "toner" we can use to neutralize any unwanted tones like yellow, or orange colors.

i have no idea. im sorry

I don't know if I would use anything with ash-y undertones. I have blonde hair (not natural) and want to dye it brown. My friend is a hairdresser and told me to NOT use any color brown that has ash undertones in it, or my hair will go orange. I'm not sure if it would apply to you as well. Good luck though!
    "I'd rather cross the line and suffer the consequences, than stare at the line for the rest of my life." <3

I dye my hair ash blonde (Feria) and used to always have issues with some red/orange/brassy tones coming through. I first use something called "UnRed" or "Red/Gold Color Corrector".....they're both sold at Sally's and come in a small dropper bottles which you mix with the hair color dye. It works amazingly well to prevent those tones from appearing. And I also always ALWAYS use a violet shampoo.....I mix half of my violet shampoo with my normal shampoo, leave on for a few minutes and then rinse and condition. Some people use a violet shampoo every other day or so but I like to tone every time I wash my hair. I have no problems with any orange or brass now and my hair is a perfect ash blonde. I use Joico's violet shampoo (which you can find at Ulta or any salon) but a Sally's has a generic version of Shimmerlights which also works well. The smell of that one is a little bizarre though.

I would try the violet shampoo first...or like another poster suggested trying a toner before re-dying though.

Good luck!

Thanks for the responses guys!! I just went to the grocery store after class and picked up a cheap medium ash blonde dye. I actually really like how it turned out, definitely pleasantly surprised!
    Opinions?

Photo on 2012-02-29 at 16.44 #2.jpg sorry for my derpy expression lol
    My shadow

Disclaimer: **I try and answer posts to the best of my knowledge but unfortunately, I am not a medical professional so take my advice/recommendations with a grain of salt.

It looks really good! That's a nice shade of blonde I think, looks quite natural and brightens you up. Good work!

Hi im a hairdresser! You did a good job! When you do your roots be careful not to put ash on your ends. The ends if the hair will soak up the base color which is green in an ash blonde. And green is hard to correct!

Quote Originally Posted by LouiseR View Post
    It looks really good! That's a nice shade of blonde I think, looks quite natural and brightens you up. Good work!
    Thank you
    My shadow

Hey Kailey, lookin' goooood. I would always use a medium color to cancel out what the brighter tone didn't finish concealing. I have not dyed my hair in eons which is good but sometimes I miss having fun with it.
    Life is so worth living.

Quote Originally Posted by Jess13 View Post
    Hi im a hairdresser! You did a good job! When you do your roots be careful not to put ash on your ends. The ends if the hair will soak up the base color which is green in an ash blonde. And green is hard to correct!
    Thanks! Yep, I've had that problem with ash before!! Nasty mistake to make. I was going from blonde to brown (hair bleach disaster, I looked like carrot top) and I went straight to brown and it had a very very apparent green tint to it. Yuck! I just had to wait for it to fade out.
    My shadow

Thanks Sav
    My shadow

Yea ive made some huge mistakes with mine when i fist started doing hair. One time it turned grey! I looked like an old woman! But i learned alot about corrective color so it was worth it.

That is some awesome knowledge to have. I've considered learning to do hair because it's a good skill when you're a woman
    My shadow

You can make good money too! Ive been doing it since i was 18 and now im 34. It the only job i have ever had. Now that im a mom i dont work in a salon any more but i do hair at home. That way i make the money and dont have to leave my baby.

That sounds like a good deal It's still something I'm considering if being in the medical field does not work out. I'd just be terrified of making a mistake on a client.
    My shadow

Your hair looks great!!! Seriously....very nice job! If you don't mind me asking...what brand/color is that?

Thank you It's actually Revlon Colorsilk in Medium Ash Blonde. It's my go to brand! Love love love Revlon!! less than 4 dollars...pretty good deal! lol
    My shadow

I have this problem all the time ! Oh the struggles of box-dying hair... What I use when I get streaks, is this blonde shampoo thing. It is some fancy brand that I grabbed from CVS, but just in general if you could find a toning shampoo for blondes.
    The past is only the future with the lights on;
    quit crying your eyes out, & baby come on.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Is it John Freida Go Blonder shampoo? If so, I have that!
    My shadow

No, it's like this number thing. I havent used it in awhile, but AH ! just died my hair tonight (: Love going blonde !

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

me too ! it's so fun but unfortunately really hard to maintain!!! stupid roots!
    My shadow

Yeah I know ! I look trashy like 2 weeks after I dye it, because bright blonde hair and dark roots dont look the nicest.

hahah I know! I feel ya!
    My shadow

It looks good! You're so lucky it turned out! Any time I have tried to dye my hair myself it turns into an epic disaster and a $$$ professional color correction. So for me, in the long run it is cheaper and easier on my hair to spend $300 every couple of months and have it done by a pro.
    Disclaimer: Any nutritional or health related advice I give is well intentioned and intended for general educational purposes only that may or may not apply to your personal health situation. It does NOT in any way, shape or form constitute as medical or dietetic advice. I am not your nutritionist and you are not my patient. Please discuss anything you may learn from any of my health related posts with your doctor and nutritionist prior to making any related changes.

Love me or hate me I am who I am. It isn't going to change. Don't confuse a succinct response or commitment to accuracy as being cavalier or patronizing.

Hahah barbiegirl this is like....the first time I've ever successfully dyed my hair blonde at home!! I wish I had the money to get it done by a pro every so often but I don't unfortunately :/ my birthday is in May so I may ask my dad if I can get a touch up cause I'm sure I'll need it by then and thank you
    My shadow

My birthday is in may too ! (: May 26th, geminis whaddupp.