Welcome to the International Emetophobia Society | The Web's Largest Meeting Place for People With Emetophobia.

Default Came Home to Sick Husband - Freaking Out

I came home from a business trip this morning and my husband said he'd had watery d* all morning and horrible stomach pains. The pains and d* kept up for a few more hours, and then all of a sudden he v* about 4 or 5 times. He had not been n* and said he didn't know he was going to v*. The stomach pains mostly went away a bit, but there's still a little pain. He's still not n*. No fever, no headache, no anything else.

I'm so afraid he's going to v* again or that I'm going to get sick. Does this sound like a stomach flu? I think it does, but my husband says he doesn't feel like he's actually s*. What can I do to keep from getting s*? I'm so afraid of v*. I'm freaking out right now!!!

Default Re: Came Home to Sick Husband - Freaking Out

As long as you don't come in contact with any bodily fluids, you should be fine. Use a different bathroom if you can, or at least disinfect it really well with bleach. If he wasn't n*, and had stomach pain, maybe it was fp. Especially if he isn't running a fever and no head ache, you will be okay, it doesn't really sound like sv.

He's feeling mostly better too, just a mild stomach ache still, but I'm still freaking out. I don't want to v*!

V* with little or no n* is unfortunately characteristic of sv. Sv may or may not cause fever, although generally there is at least some sort of malaise.

As has been said, your best defense is to a) keep up good hand hygiene - don't touch your face without washing hands first for 15-20 seconds with soap, and wash before eating and after using the restroom in any capacity; and b) BLEACH BLEACH BLEACH the bathroom with a strong bleach solution. Even better if you can get your husband to do it for you. Use a different bathroom if possible. Also, make sure your husband is aware that the illness is spread through fecal-oral route generally - i.e. it is VERY important that he wash his hands well after using the restroom as well. He oughtn't prepare food for anyone but himself for a few days.

If you keep your hands clean and out of your face, and wash before you eat and after you use the bathroom, you run little risk of contracting whatever he's got if it is contagious.

I'm using a different bathroom than he is, and I'll be sleeping in the guest room tonight. I'm trying to limit contact as much as possible, though I will need to go into our bedroom later to get pj's and clothes for tomorrow.

He's been drinking some 7 Up and eating saltines and says he wants to eat some mac and cheese, but I'm still concerned that he does have a sv that's contagious and that I'm going to catch it. I'm so afraid to go to sleep tonight because I'm worried I'm going to wake up and start v*ing. Especially since I'll be in a different bed; if I wake up, I won't be familiar with the surroundings and may not make it to the bathroom. I'm so worried!

Don't worry about getting clothes from your room. You might sanitize the door handles or just wash your hands afterwards but I highly doubt he's been v* into your clothes drawers! That would be awfully strange behavior.

It's a good sign that he's sipping 7 Up and saltines. Those are good bland foods to start with. Obviously he's a grown man and in charge of what he eats, but I'd hold off on the mac and cheese since dairy is hard to digest particularly after a bout with stomach difficulties.

If what he has is contagious, it is especially important that you eat well and stay rested to keep your immune system healthy. I know that's much easier said than done; maybe other people won't agree with this, but you almost might consider taking a sedating anti-histamine (like Benadryl) to help you sleep through the night if you're likely to keep yourself up worrying about it. You could keep a bottle of Pepto Bismol by your bed if you're afraid you will wake up n*. Some comforting info about Pepto: in one study, the participants were given Ipecac syrup (a STRONG emetic) and half of them were given Pepto while the other half were given nothing. The ones who got nothing almost all v* (96%) but the ones who were given Pepto mostly did not (26%!) It's good stuff My mom got the sv* in 2000, when my brother and I had it, and she says she basically just guzzled Pepto Bismol and never v* once! (I didn't even know she was sick because she didn't tell me, knowing it would make me scared, bless her.)

Try to relax as best you can! Best wishes and warm thoughts

I'm a big Pepto fan, but always have the chewables. My husband took quite a few earlier before he v*ed, but apparently it didn't help.

I think some of it is because this has been an insane week for me. Late on Monday night I had a miscarriage at just under 6 weeks pregnant (which was stressful and also means I may still have a weakened immune system from the pregnancy), then I was on a work trip very early Thursday morning until about noon today (with 12+ hours days Thursday and Friday plus a 4.5 hr drive on Thursday and today), and now this. I had been handling my phobias better, but I think the stress leading up to this has put me over the top!

Quote Originally Posted by summerdazies View Post
    Don't worry about getting clothes from your room. You might sanitize the door handles or just wash your hands afterwards but I highly doubt he's been v* into your clothes drawers! That would be awfully strange behavior.
    Haha, no, nothing like that... it's just that the closet is off of the bathroom where he had d* and v*, so it kind of freaks me out a bit.

Now he's just sleepy, still with a bit of a stomach ache. I have a stomach ache now as well, but I think that's just nerves!

youhave been gone so you werent exposed until today. that means u r safe tonight and since you know before you had a chance to be careless, you can prevent yourself from catching it by washing your hands, avoiding using the same bathroom and just steering clear of him and his germs for a few days. Consider yourself lucky to have been out of the house!

I've heard that the liquid Pepto may work better than the chews or pills, but I've got no evidence to back it up, so who knows. Also, your husband probably isn't emetophobic, so I doubt he fought the n* like most of us would. (For better or for worse, many of us do this successfully.)

Sounds like a very stressful week, and I'm so sorry to hear about your miscarriage no doubt all of that is compounding and not helping your anxiety (which I would definitely blame for your stomach ache!)

it sounds like you have been having an awful go of it...are you sure he didnt eat something off? if he isnt feeling ill, that could not always be the sv.

I'm still so worried I'll get it! I slept on the couch last night, but this morning I'll have to go disinfect our bedroom bathroom so that I can take a shower. I'm afraid I'll get sick tonight once my husband goes to work (he works nights) and then I'll be alone. Right now my stomach is feeling a little off/painful, but it might be nerves. I feel like I'm going to have d*, but I haven't yet. I have a bad headache, but it might be from sleeping on the couch. I'm just so afraid I'll v*!!! My husband's sickness was relatively mild compared to what you usually hear about with sv, but I usually get much sicker than he does when we get the same thing. I'm scared to eat anything in case my stomach symptoms get worse. I also can't stop reading about norvirus online, which probably is not helping.

I was thinking that maybe it wasn't a sv since his d* ended after his v* episode and the stomach pain got a lot better after that as well. I'm scared to even let myself be reassured by that thought, but I'd so like it to be true. I'm just so scared of v*ing, and I so needed this weekend to be relaxing after all the stress I've had this week and the week coming up (which is going to be very stressful from a work perspective). I just can't relax, I'm so worried!

I cleaned out practically our entire bathroom (everything except walls and the wood cabinets) with a bleach mixture, letting it sit on all surfaces for a few minutes before wiping to try to make sure it killed everything. I'm also washing all of the towels and the shower curtain (since the bathtub is right next to the toilet) in hot water and drying on the antibacterial setting. I wore gloves and was careful to wash my hands very well several times afterward to try and do my best to avoid exposure. I think I'll continue to use the other bathrooms tonight and then I'll clean out our bathroom again tomorrow after work just to make sure. I'll also change our bed and wash those sheets in hot water and dry on antibacterial so that I'll feel safe to sleep in our bed tonight.

My husband feels completely fine today. We'll have to wait to see about me...

Now I'm feeling very acidy and a bit n*. I really hope it's nerves or the burger I had for dinner and not the start of a sv!

It sounds like indigestion to me. Don't sweat it! Happens to the best of us and burgers will do that to you!
    I wanna feel the change consume me,
    Feel the outside turning in.
    I wanna feel the metamorphosis and
    Cleansing I've endured within
    My shadow

Disclaimer: **I try and answer posts to the best of my knowledge but unfortunately, I am not a medical professional so take my advice/recommendations with a grain of salt.

Quote Originally Posted by kategirl84 View Post
    I'm a big Pepto fan, but always have the chewables. My husband took quite a few earlier before he v*ed, but apparently it didn't help.

I think some of it is because this has been an insane week for me. Late on Monday night I had a miscarriage at just under 6 weeks pregnant (which was stressful and also means I may still have a weakened immune system from the pregnancy), then I was on a work trip very early Thursday morning until about noon today (with 12+ hours days Thursday and Friday plus a 4.5 hr drive on Thursday and today), and now this. I had been handling my phobias better, but I think the stress leading up to this has put me over the top!
    Hun, I am so sorry about your miscarriage.

And I know what you mean about doing a good job handling a phobia, and then something like this happens. I do want to let you know, us emets very rarely catch the sv* from other people. Normally because we practice good hand hygiene and we understand how the sv* transmission works better than others and we dodge it more easily. I'm seriously willing to bet that you will not get it. The fact that you are using a seperate bathroom is also a great thing. I unfortunately don't have that opportunity when someone gets sick in the house since we only have one bathroom. :/ But as long as you keep your hands clean and remain cautious for the next 24-48 hours you will be fine. I promise.

Now I'm feeling very acidy and a bit n*. I really hope it's nerves or the burger I had for dinner and not the start of a sv!
    More than likely it's the burger. If you were hungry at all then that's a sign that you don't have the sv*

I'm using a different bathroom than he is, and I'll be sleeping in the guest room tonight. I'm trying to limit contact as much as possible, though I will need to go into our bedroom later to get pj's and clothes for tomorrow.

He's been drinking some 7 Up and eating saltines and says he wants to eat some mac and cheese, but I'm still concerned that he does have a sv that's contagious and that I'm going to catch it. I'm so afraid to go to sleep tonight because I'm worried I'm going to wake up and start v*ing. Especially since I'll be in a different bed; if I wake up, I won't be familiar with the surroundings and may not make it to the bathroom. I'm so worried!
    Well having an appetite back is a good sign of recovery...thank goodness you weren't there when he was sick. I agree with summerdazies, stereliziation is the way to go...hope you are well and you start feeling better about this...you are using the separate bathroom for now, so thats good.

PS I'm so sorry to hear about your miscarriage
    Last edited by Erica1649; 03-05-2012 at 02:27 PM.