Welcome to the International Emetophobia Society | The Web's Largest Meeting Place for People With Emetophobia.

Default What can a stomach ache mean besides the dreaded virus?

I know I've been posting alot lately, but I'm having a hard time right now...I wanted to get everyone elses look on this. I have a little stomach ache and I am terrified of them. When I was little I had one and it led to....well you know...and ever since then I am so scared of them. I don't know if it was because I had bacon today and the grease was bad, or what but it doesn't happen much and things are going around at my school. What could it be caused by?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Default Re: What can a stomach ache mean besides the dreaded virus?

Have you had an appetite today? Usually I check for early signs I've heard of with SV - fatigue, headache, loss of appetite - because those are the things I had pre-s* the last time I had a SV (about 2 years ago)...loss of appetite was the main one, usually I am pretty hungry around meal times but when I had the SV I barely ate all day and felt sooo tired. My sister, who I caught it from, had the same early symptoms. Anyway, if you are feeling generally okay today other than a stomach ache, it could be any number of things. Maybe you had some food that didn't agree with you, or maybe it's gas. Even though I hardly ever pass gas, sometimes I'll get a sharp pain in my stomach, which is usually followed by needing to go #2! Also stress can definitely cause a stomachache. Maybe you are stressed from the SV going around at school! You will get through this!

I know what you mean ! Every pain I get in my stomach leads to me freaking out. unfortunately, I have many stomach issues, aside from anxiety, so my stomach always hurts ! Anyway, it could be from plenty of things. Just try to keep your anxiety down, as that can cause more stomach pain.
    The past is only the future with the lights on;
    quit crying your eyes out, & baby come on.

I did have a head ache and fatigue but that was because i stayed up too late.... it's been three days since then and I still have an occasional pain here and there but I have been hungry and have a fine appetite I don't know what it is

I get a stomach ache when I'm anxious, then I get scared I'm sick so I get more anxious, then my stomach gets worse because I'm more anxious, then I get even more anxious and my stomach gets worse... etc etc etc. It's a horrible cycle.

The thing that helps me differentiate from actual illness and anxiety illness is breathing. I breathe in for 4 counts, hold it for 4, and then let it out for 5. While I'm letting it out I focus on the way my stomach relaxes. Sometimes it takes a few breaths, but I will feel my stomach relax. Usually it's just for a fraction of a second, and then the pain comes back, but it really helps me to calm down.

The only time I haven't felt the relaxation was when I actually did have the stomach flu. I got sick less than an hour after trying the breathing exercises.

If you try this and it doesn't work for you, don't worry! It doesn't mean you are sick! This is just something I have found that helps me, and I only realized that it didn't work when I was sick because I got sick. If I had never gotten that stomach virus I may not have realized I could use the breathing as self diagnosis.

You and your body may be totally different though, but it's worth a shot. It should help ease anxiety if nothing else!

Quote Originally Posted by chocolategirl View Post
    I know I've been posting alot lately, but I'm having a hard time right now...I wanted to get everyone elses look on this. I have a little stomach ache and I am terrified of them. When I was little I had one and it led to....well you know...and ever since then I am so scared of them. I don't know if it was because I had bacon today and the grease was bad, or what but it doesn't happen much and things are going around at my school. What could it be caused by?
    Unfortnuately the stomach ache could be a number of different things. Are you constipated? Have you eaten something that may caused you gas? These symptoms always seem to make me get a belly ache...also another one that does it for me is acidic foods.

I hope you feel better now..

Stomach aches can mean so many harmless, natural things that have nothing to do with virus' or needing to be sick. It can mean that your stomach is digesting the food you've eaten, that you're hungry, stressed, anxious, excited, full, need to use the bathroom, etc. Always remember that just because your stomach hurts does not mean you're doomed. When I am really tired, my stomach and head start to hurt. Sometimes I'm nauseous when I'm fatigued, too. It's weird but it just means I need sleep. I always use heating pads on my stomach to make me feel better, sometimes even when I'm anxious without a stomach ache I use them- I find them to be very soothing.

Hope you feel better soon!

Att våga är att tappa fotfästet en stund, att inte våga är att förlora sig själv."
    "To dare is to lose your foothold for a moment, to not dare is to lose yourself."