Welcome to the International Emetophobia Society | The Web's Largest Meeting Place for People With Emetophobia.

Inherited somehow. I was talking to my mother about our family and she thinks that her father was manic-depressive. She told me about him and I think she is right. Than there is my aunt (her sister) who went a little nutty, and by looking at her you know something is just right, and her son who I swear when they made that movie with Russell Crowe in it
    A Beautiful Mind, about my cousin because he is the same way, (he is schizophrenia) he is in College in Dallas, he has so many letters behind his name, he is a Professor and is still going to classes taking on more degrees, as long as he is on his med’s he is fine. Than there is my cousin (my mothers other sister kid) who at the age of 20 was diagnosed with schizophrenia, after seeing people who weren’t there, trying to kill himself he was finally diagnosed and is fine as long as he takes his med’s. And than there is me with this phobia. Is this a mental illness? I really think it is in the genes sometimes. I don’t have what they have but this phobia has ruined and has run my life. I don’t know what to think maybe I should just give up with the why’s but in my heart I think I was born with this and bang when I was nine the lines in my brain short circuit and bang I have the phobia. I don’t know.

I forgot to say that I am not saying everyone has this phobia because of family members with mental illness, I am just thinking since this is in my family my chances are pretty high.

mental illness can be inherited and getting diagnosed and treated is more sane than the people who say you're crazy. there is nothing to be ashamed of. do people disrespect and look down on people who have diabetes, or some other illness? no....and it should be that way with mental illness. what has made me happiest in my life was coming to terms with my mental illness. i am no longer ashamed of it. why should i be? why should anyone be? if one can admit it and do something about it, then they should only be proud of their acheivement. let me know how you're feeling

My mothers uncle was phobic..as in social phobia...my mother has panic disorder...so it goes without saying that i absolutely believe it is in the genes....my uncle has chronic fatigue....fibromygalia...and i just believe it's something inherited...just my opinion though...Kat

i dont know what i believe. my mother has a genrealized anxiety and panic disorder, my father wasmanic-depressive (meaning, according to stats i have one of 3 options: ana, mia or SI....yay!*sarcasm*). im emet, plus a panic disrder, my younger sister is arachnaphobic (severely), but my older sister is fine...

i think one of the factors though is that in ahousehold used to dealing with mental differences, people are more likely to talk about their fears.

Thanks everyone. I know that I am no longer ashamed of myself with this phobia, its like coming out of the closet. When I found out 4 years ago or 5 that I have been suffering from a phobia (for 26 years then)I was so relieved. Now I am very vocal about it because there are people out there who have this and don't know that it is a phobia! I truly believe that all the doctors out there have to realize that this is a phobia and to help their patients!!31 years is a long time to have a phobia like this one, and I expect it will continue.&nb sp; Thanks I appreciate your honesty.

it is true. we need to speak up, scream out and let the world know this exists. it is the only way to make progress, for ourselves and for so many others

Thanks it is true isn't it? My doctor who I had and retired a year or so ago has been a doctor longer than my age (39), he has been a doctor for 40 something years and when I told him about this he was floored! He had never heard of this phobia before! To me that says it all!

I think this phobia comes for a fear of lack of control. I know for me, i control every aspect of my life. I drive to work, I shop for food, I choose when and what i eat. THe thing that scares me about v* is that you are not in control of it. If it has to happen, no matter how much you psych yourself out of it, it will happen. It also scares me that it can happen at "any" moment. It's not like a cold where you get a sore throat for a day or so, then the stuffy nose etc. V* comes w/out warning.

I have found that this site has helped me out of several situations where i was panicking and i needed support. Together, we can beat this!!
    <a href=\"
    To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
    src=\"http://tickers.TickerFactory.com/ezt/d/4;10731;130/st/2 0070423/e/My+Caribbean+Cruise/k/3909/event.png\"></a&gt ; ; ;

It is true about the control. I am nota controllingperson at all and the lack of control is true with the vomiting. When I had e-coli from bad water I was so sick but I couldnt fight it and to tell you it hit me hard. I still believe I got this from my mothers side of the family. I am going to do research on this.

I think that phobias, OCDs, and other psychological problems are definately hereditary. It just has to do with phobics being chemically sensitive (to the chemicals in our brain, and adrenaline, which causes panic attacks). I'm worried about having kids one day because I don't want to "pass the phobia on", but I think there are ways of controlling it.

An interesting fact is that with identical twins, if one has OCD, the other has a 67-83% chance of having it too, and normally the chances of having OCD are 2-4%.

I have 2 sons ages 21 and 12 and none of them have this phobia thank god. When they are ill I have never shown them my fear. I thought that maybe my neice would show something like any signs but none thank god. When I was in my nursing school a classmate of mine was telling me that a friend of hers, her daughter is showing signs of this phobia. They had no idea that it was a phobia, the little girl didn't want to go to school for the fear of her being sick or someone else in the school, and she is petrified of being sick to her stomach I told me classmate to tell her friend to get help now for her little girl. At least she has a better chance of getting over this well still young.

but, unless there is a traumatizing experience to trigger the trauma, will it occur? i think that most emetophobics are predisposed to some form of mental illness, usually ocd, and then something somewhere along the life line occurs that causes this type of phobia, or any other type of phobia for that matter. i have a history of severe depression and other mental disorders in my family, but no emetophobia. in infancy, before i can remember, i swallowed a carpet staple. that is what i think triggered the phobia. my reaction to the phobia - always freaking out- may have caused my sister to develope it, later in age, but to this day she is an emet. it's like, which came first- the chicken or the egg? in this case, i think a disposition towards being super-sensitive and affected by events causes phobias, the phobia is not the original problem, only the result. i hope this makes sense and doesn't offend anyone.

That's true, the phobia must not be the trigger, but the result. Sensitive people are probably just more prone to becoming phobic, because their body will react to a fearful situation in a different way that implants it into their brain as "dangerous". So it's not that phobias are hereditary, but anxious dispositions are.

No, you didn't offend anyone. When you mentioned about the staple at such a young age, that blows me away. I believe everyone is different and we all have this phobia that began the same way or in a different way.One day I will figure it out as to why me???

I definatley think this and all phobias are stemed from us all having some type of anxiety related disorder. How much stress we have in our lives sometimes makes our phobias better or worse. I also see differant types of anxiety disorders and even phobias in differant family members and I see where there could be a genetic thing going on. I also unfortunatly see it in my youngest child. She is only five. I don't know what to do about it. If it IS genetic, than there probably is'nt much I CAN do, but I don't want her to ever have to be where I am at emotionaly. Any suggestions?Edited by: swiftette

Talk to your doctor explain to him what is going and how it has affected you and how you don't want this happening to your daughter, he should refer you to a doctor who deals with people with phobia's. I know that in Toronto at the kids hosptial they have doctors there who specializes in phobia and anxietys disorders. There is one hec of chance that she can get over this, I would ask your doctor. If my child had this phobia I would be seeing the doctor and than taking my child to get help, with the right treatment he can get over this, and have a much better life than mine was!

I'm kind of afraid too. I feel alot of shame. Not at my daughter but at myself. If she DOES have an anxiety disorder, it's because of me. I'm ashamed at myself for being like this. I can't help it. I wish I could. The last tim I took her foe her well visit, she needed her Kindergarten shots. She was screaming-she is scared of doctors. And her Dr. actually asked ME if I knew what was wrong with her! I was like, she's just a little girl, she can't help it if she's scared, but this pediatrician was really anoyed with her! And I've told her about other things she does but she pretty much dismisses everything. Mabey another mom without ocd, phobia and generalized anxiety would'nt think anything of it. Just think their child is more sensitive or cranky or even odd but I love my daughter and I do'nt think she is any of these things. I think she has my genes. And I'm scared. And Once again..I'm guilty.

you are not guilty. yes, she may be learning her fear from your reactions to what makes you afraid. and she may have inherited the mental disorders. but you have identified this. get herthe right kind of help. at such a young age, this is when help would be most effective. don't feel ashamed. if you had diabetes and your daughter inherited that from you, would you feel guilty or ashamed? probably not...you would just take the steps necessary to ensure her well-being. this is the same thing. people act like it's a choice whether or not to have mental problems. maybe the way we handle them is a choice, but having them is not.

when i wasin 2nd grade, my teacher recognized my obvious problems, and met with my mother to discuss them. my mother knew about the staple, but in naivety did not put that together. instead, when the teacher was exploring different possibilities as to why i may have problems, and mentioned the word 'abuse' my mother got offended and left, never caring to go any further with trying to help me other than making me feel ashamed for how i acted when i was terrified of someone being sick, etc. i did not know this until 3 years ago and i can't help but wonder how different my life may have been if she would have just acceptedmy issues and gotten me the right help. i know this was a long explanation, and i hope it helps. let me know what you think.

I did talk to her teachers and they think she is just "immature for her age" but normal. This is the same teacher who when my other daughter was in kindergarten told my freind that her son, who was in the same class, had ocd-so I think they know what to look for. So sometimes I feel like I'm just being paranoid, I have a problem with perfection and wanting to be THE perfect Martha Stewart meets nanny 911 mom who always can solve everything and know everything. I know this is a long one but here's how it began, or sort of: When she first potty trained at age 4, she had this "thing" with being "not dry and clean enough". She would wipe herself red and THEN the next thing was she started demanding a bath after she went poopies or she would throw an absolute nutty! Now that sounds like ocd right? Well her DR. did'nt think so.She told me to powder her so she'd stay dry-Hello-that is'nt even safe for her little private partfor long term usage!She stopped during last summer andhas not done this since she started kindergarten when she breifly started it again-possibly a stress thing. But since she had sv* a few weeks ago, everytime she eats she says she has a tummy ache and that she"does'nt want the mucus to come out" I'm hoping this to will pass like the clean bum thing but I'm worried. Sorry about going on and on.

I think there is a genetic link...but not the only way to aquire something like this. Inever had any problems with the fear of v*...never crossed my mind. BUT I had a traumatice experience inmy life a few years ago and I am an anxious person so there you go! I have bipolar illness in both sides of my family. My dad had generalized anxiety disorder, panic disorder (that is under control) and OCD fear of contamination. He is under control though. My aunt is a chronic worrier and anxious...all my aunts are.

I have progressively gotten worse with the anxiety. I have had OCD for a long time. The emet thing is sort of new. It came from when my middle son was real sick and I had a very hard time with it. He was sick twice and for a long time the second time.

There really is no right or wrong answer with this. Everyone chemical makeup is different. DEFINITELY everyday stress makes things worse. Some of us deal better than others. Edited by: madisonsmom

I completely agree that this is herditary. I have Bipolar Disorder which was diagnosed when I was 21 but it was present as far back as I can remember..along with the Emet. (I can think of no circumstance that caused me to become so phobic it was always just there.) I also have a history of mental illness in family...my mom is Bipolar...takes her meds she is fine. My sister has panick atacks...and now my neice is beginning to show signs of emet. I asked myself so many times if I was the cause of it. But I know for a fact that i never would panick around her. and we have been extremely close her whole like...(she is 15 and i am 26.) However my sister is a puker.Always has been and my neice has seen this her whole life.When my sister gets a sv...and she alwaysdoes...she ends up having togo to the ERfor an IV to stop. So I think that Sam...my neice hasseen this and becameaware of what v* can do. Most peopledo not need such treatment but if thats all she knows it can be very scary. I feel for her...she does some of things we all do to be "safe".

Sorry for rmabling butI have done lots of research onMental Illness andmost of the time you will find a genetic link somewhere. The Dilemma I am presentedwith is...I would love to have a baby someday. But what would I be subjecting that child too ya know? I mean I take my meds..and my bipolar isunder control...but my emet is UNCONTROLLABLE!I don't know it just scares me.

Hope this makes sense......Kris

I had the phobia first at age 9, than I learned through commercials that you can buy Pepto Bismal to calm your stomach, so at the age of 11 I guess I was out buying Pepto Bismal and my friends were buying candy! Later on when I met this guy and than became pregnant with Tyler I began drinking alcohol. I drank beer to numb the pain of this phobia, I stayed in an abusive relationship for a bit because his father would clean up with Tyler had vomited. I finally got the courage to leave but I still drank. Than I married my best friend of 10 years, he didn't know about the phobia and I drank every other day or so. I became pissed off at my ex because I wanted him out and he went to Tylers dad and fabricated a story telling him that with his help he can make it a court order that I have to remain married and still keep Tyler! I found all of this out from Tylers dad!! Than my mother comes over because she is believing everything that is coming out of my ex-husbands mouth that made me feel so hurt and here she is going on saying it is her fault that I drink, because when i was 5 I took someones tricycle and went uptown, she brought me back home and gave me the belt! She felt guilty. What a mess!! Everything was fine after Tylers dad and I talked! It has been 6 years with a good life and no drinking. Handling this phobia with no alcohol. I love my mother dearly but she had it al mixed up, I drank because of this phobia, everyone handles it differently. Now my phobia has gone one step further, when I have a pain in my right side I think appendics's and I become like a frightened rabbit, when I have heartburn I think heart problems, when I have a cut I think infection, if I am dizzy I think of stroke. On Saturday night I took 2 of my lorazapam, woke up Sunday morning at 9:30, I had to do some shopping but had that feeling in my throat I asked my friend do it because I was afriad to go. I slept from 2pm until 5 when he woke me up for supper and than back to sleep until 10pm went to bed and woke up at 7:30. That isnt like me but yet again I let my nerves get the best of me and slept and slept on Sunday. I hate this I really do

After all that rambling my point was I had the phobia first and than later on I learned how to prevent from becoming sick such as washing hands, putting a towel at the bottom of my bedroom door when the flu was going aorund, drinking Pepto Bismal, eating peppermint toothpaste,I learned all of this by 11 yrs.old. So the OCD came later.

I'm sorry about all you've gone threw Ontariogirl. What it sounds like to me is, even with all you've gone threw, you always overcome it and are stonger because of it. I wish I could be strong. I look up to a lot of you on this site like you also Maddisonsmom. I admire your courage!!!

That is very sweet of you swiftette. Sometimes I feel not as strong as I could be and that frustrates the hec out of me. Sometimes we feel that we are not strong but we have to look at what we all have accomplished despite of this phobia. All of us are strong we just have a hard time realizing that because we tend to look at the negative. I do agree with you about madisonsmom she is a strong person, she is going through a lot right now, her strength will see her through this![img]smileys/smilies_01.gif[/img]

There is probably a hereditary component to emetophobia, but not the
    emet part, the phobia part. Supposedly, families with depression
    or bi-polar illness have a higher incidence of phobias which are
    neurosis. However, schizophrenia and other serious mental
    illnesses are another story and have no connection whatsoever.

As for the connection between depression, neurosis and phobia - while
    it is possiblethere is one, the facts are NOT etched in stone.
    Whether phobias are due to genetics or learned behaviors is not quite
    known. I would take responsibility for my own phobia and not
    blame it on any one else. I have two sisters who could care less
    if they v*** or are around anyone who does. All three of us grew
    up in the same household with the same parents. Could one of our
    parents have done something that spooked me into becoming emet and not
    them? Possibly, but I don't remember it. Remember that emet
    is a phobia. We fear v*** to an irrational extent. In every
    other part of our lives we are intelligent, well functioning
    adults. This phobia does not make us mentally ill.

By the way, plenty of people have phobias. In fact, I know of
    very few people who don't. Some fear flying, others
    heights. I know people who can't drive on highways or over
    bridges. Some people would rather die than speak in front
    of a group. The list goes on. It does not make any of them
    mentally ill. While some may have depression or other issues, it is not
    the rule.

Stella

I hear what you are saying Stella, sometimes I think who cares how I got and than a time comes where I want to know the why? Who knows if I can figure it out and if not I will work on myself of talking myself out of an anxiety attack due to this phobia.

I confess I haven't read every post on this thread, but the topic interests me greatly. I was just at a 2-day conference for psychologists called "Nature AND Nurture" (written just like that) We heard presentations from the scientific community as well as the family therapy psychiatric community. It was amazing.

The skinny on it is that although these problems do indeed run in families, there has been absolutely no genetic connection found. No gene for "phobia" or even schizophrenia. There are differences in a schizophrenic's brain, but no one has yet done the research to find out if a) they were there before they became schizophrenic or b) the schizophrenic caused the changes, rather than the other way around.

There is clear evidence in monkey research (very recent, and unpublished) that there are some genes that lead to anxious conditions, alcoholism [they actually expose the poor little things to booze], and aggression. HOWEVER, when the monkeys with these genes were put with "good" mothers (and that's a lot easier to define in a monkey than a human family!) and a stable social family, the gene was NEVER expressed...meaning the little monkey did NOT grow up with one of those problems.

Trauma was not a factor in this study because it's against the law to traumatize baby monkeys on purpose.

So pretty much it's what we've always suspected: a number of factors contribute to phobia and other mental illness - some of it is in the genes, some is in the brain development, some has to do with family process, trauma is a factor as well. Back frickin' luck for all of us is what I say!

Oh ya - I always gotta end my posts with "good news". The good news is that all of these factors can be influenced, treated, or changed. It's a lot of work, but it can be done. There is no permanent damage.
    For more info about emetophobia and treatment:

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
    DISCLAIMER ~ Any advice I give on this forum is well-intentioned and given as to a peer or friend or for educational purposes. It does not in any way constitute psychotherapeutic or medical advice. Please discuss anything you may learn from my posts with your doctor and psychotherapist prior to making any decisions or changes or taking any actions.

Thanks Sage