Welcome to the International Emetophobia Society | The Web's Largest Meeting Place for People With Emetophobia.

Question Cruise during april.. :/

My dad bought us tickets for this cruise to the Bahamas in April. There is more than one reason why this freaks me out, but here's the list in my head:
    1. I have to fly, which means going to a crowded airport where people come from all over the world.
    2. I have to fly... again, meaning I could be on the plane trapped with someone who might get motion sickness, or I could get it.
    3. I am not gonna be able to have internet access or access to my phone for an entire week. (my boyfriend and 2 best friends) who are my biggest supporters and the people that I always turn to during a panic attack (this website), will be out of reach.
    4. The cruise ship could cause motion sickness, a virus could break out on the ship.
    5. The cooks could give all of the passengers food poisoning.

OKAY NOW BEFORE YOU ALL GO CRAZY READING THE REST OF MY RIDICULOUS LIST...
    that's what my mind is doing right now. It's thinking up all these scenarios. I'm gonna be a nervous wreck the entire time.
    How am I supposed to have fun/relax/enjoy the trip when I am constantly consumed with these thoughts?
    not to mention, I will be way out of my comfort zone, and I will have no one to talk to that I can relate with about this issue.
    I just feel like I'm gonna go crazy that week. I want to enjoy it, but idk what I'm even gonna do. :/

Does anyone have any experience as an emetophobe being on a long trip away from everything? A cruise? A plane ride?
    Any advice. How can I not go COMPLETELY NUTS that week? I want to enjoy this trip. It'll be my first cruise and first time out of the Country.
    HELP :/

Default Re: Cruise during april.. :/

I know how this fear can consume all your thoughts to the point you can't enjoy yourself. My only advice is to try not to let it ruin your fun time. I know that it's easier said than done, I understand. But you have to try...don't let this phobia run your life.

Now as for your reasons to be nervous, they're common for most people with emetophobia. But as long as you keep your hands clean you really don't have anything to worry about. When you're in the airport try not to touch too many surfaces with your hand. Wash your hands when you can. You'll be fine, I promise. You can't get the sv* from someone being sick on the plane. The only way you can get it is if someone got sick and you consumed the v* particles by being right in the pathway of the v*. The v* particles will not travel in the air, so just because someone v*ed doesn't mean you'll breathe it in unless you were right in front of them or something. Like, right in their face as they v*. I doubt you'll be doing that so you will be fine.

Are you prone to motion sickness? Do you have any access to anti-nausea or anti-motion sickness meds or resources? If not, try to get some things that may help:

http://www.drugs.com/condition/motion-sickness.html
    http://www.amazon.com/Anti-Nausea-Gi...xgy_hpc_text_c
    http://www.amazon.com/Adult-Wrist-Ba...bxgy_sg_text_c

Or whatever else you can find. As for a virus breaking out....April is kind of the end of the noro peak season. I think it's very unlikely that a virus will break out then. Besides, it doesn't happen as often as the emet brain would have us believe. lol. I know we always think the worst, but the chances of the boat that you're on is the one to get an outbreak is unlikely.

As for food poisoning, if you're really worried you can stay away from the foods that are more common with food poisoning like meats, oysters, certain veggies if you don't trust they were washed thoroughly.

I totally agree with Phoenyx! It is so easy for us emets to work up these "bad case senerios" and tell ourselves, yup, this will happen. But really? How often as they do? And like she said, as long as you are not right in someone's face when they v*, you can't get it being on the plane with someone who v*s!

HAVE FUN! Try to write down all the FUN things you are going to do and go over that list in your head when you are starting to worry. When I go out, even grocery shopping, and I start to have my "freak outs", I go over my shopping list or the reason why I am going out. You will be fine! Best of luck and enjoy!!!

I am so afraid to go on a cruise in fear of the whole vomiting thing!

I do fly once a year (well twice round trip) and *knocks on wood* I haven't seen anybody get sick.

As far as concerns about germs and stuff, from what I understand, the ship is kept quite clean...they don't even let anybody on the ship until they know everbody is well...for example somebody lied and said they were ok, but somebody was just recently sick with a virus and the quarantined the ship to clean it.

As long as you keep your hands clean and practice the hygeiene you know you will be fine...bring your sanitizer and anti anxiety meds if any and dramamine and you will be fine...don't let the emet get to stop you from having a good time!

Good luck...also my suggestion is to bring an Ipod or MP3 player with you to listen to on the plane...that always helps me feel "careless" cause I can't hear any of my surroundings.

Thank you all so much!! Your advice has been very helpful especially you Phoenyx! I know, I always try and not let my emet mind get the best of me, but it's so hard. This is my life though, and I have God and my family and emetophobia doesn't deserve to run my life like this it makes me upset. But I actually am going to make a list, a good list of all the fun things I'm looking forward too, and I will definitely be taking my iPod. It's just gonna be hard being away from my boyfriend and some of my friends because they get me through this stuff a lot. As for the outbreak on the ship of a virus, I know it's like a very slim chance that it will happen, and besides my dad told me that if I ever need to use the bathroom to just use the ones in our room instead of the public ones that are just on the ship. That way I can know it is clean. & I wash my hands a lot anyways. Thanks for putting my mind at ease. I really hope this trip goes well and is a step in helping my conquer some of my fears that I deal with having this phobia. You guys are awesome, thank you so much!

and I told my mom we're gonna have to stock up on anti-emetics and motion sickness medicine just incase. I don't go on the water very much, so I don't know if I'll even feel motion sickness, but I'm definitely taking some dramamine with me and some anti-emetics just incase I do. Hopefully not though, fingers crossed. :/ thanks for the websites too, very helpful!

I'm so jealous you're going to the Bahamas!!! You're going to have a blast!!!! I agree with what the others have already said; these are definitely common worries for anyone with emet. I have been on many flights and honestly, I've never even once felt a trifle nauseous! Plane rides are great fun in my opinion. I love the tickle feeling I get in my belly as the plane takes off and then watching everything shrink in size as the plane goes straight for the sky is incredible then you are literally above the clouds. It's such a neat experience!! Enjoy yourself If you are a bit anxious about motion sickness, take Dramamine before the flight but I really don't think it'll be necessary. I've never been on a cruise before and I can tell you I do share the fear of vomiting on board, but you will never know unless you try. Norovirus outbreaks are easily contained on ships or so I read. I think you will have a lot of fun on this trip!! Let us know how it goes!!
    I wanna feel the change consume me,
    Feel the outside turning in.
    I wanna feel the metamorphosis and
    Cleansing I've endured within
    My shadow

Disclaimer: **I try and answer posts to the best of my knowledge but unfortunately, I am not a medical professional so take my advice/recommendations with a grain of salt.

Quote Originally Posted by DeadxxInside92 View Post
    I'm so jealous you're going to the Bahamas!!! You're going to have a blast!!!! I agree with what the others have already said; these are definitely common worries for anyone with emet. I have been on many flights and honestly, I've never even once felt a trifle nauseous! Plane rides are great fun in my opinion. I love the tickle feeling I get in my belly as the plane takes off and then watching everything shrink in size as the plane goes straight for the sky is incredible then you are literally above the clouds. It's such a neat experience!! Enjoy yourself If you are a bit anxious about motion sickness, take Dramamine before the flight but I really don't think it'll be necessary. I've never been on a cruise before and I can tell you I do share the fear of vomiting on board, but you will never know unless you try. Norovirus outbreaks are easily contained on ships or so I read. I think you will have a lot of fun on this trip!! Let us know how it goes!!
    I'm getting used to flying...it's not my favorite thing to do...I always get nervous on take off...but then I'm so damn excited to get to my location (which means I'm landing in Florida )

Hi there!
    I am going on a cruise too in April!!! (Disney Cruise) As excited as I am I have ALL the sames fears as you. As the cruise gets closer though I am getting way more excited! I think that as long as you take the precautions you normally do, everything will be fine. If you are really worried maybe you could try one of those Sea Bands? I have heard pretty good things about them and I am going to try one when I leave. You are going to have an amazing time and I think that this is a big step in beating emetophobia too! I hope that you have an amazing time and everything goes well! <3