Welcome to the International Emetophobia Society | The Web's Largest Meeting Place for People With Emetophobia.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Please be careful!

As you browse these websites, please be mindful of the difference between trying to temporarily "fix" your anxiety versus overcoming your fear. They seem very similar, but are each drastically different. The more we post "what ifs" and "do you thinks..." the more we are feeding into our belief that vomiting is something to be feared. We should be here to encourage ourselves to challenge the fear and work towards seeking genuine guidance in dealing with this phobia. Asking one another about the details of how to prevent contracting a virus is furthering our emetophobia. Instead, let's encourage us to restructure our thoughts against the fear itself.

As emets, it's easy to get lost in sites like these - trying to decode another preventative measure. The truth is that simply by being human, we are at risk of illness. However, I'd rather work on not fearing it versus obsessively avoiding it.

Easier said that done, of course...but not impossible.

Check out my blog by SEARCHING: PleaseRestructure Blogspot

Default Re: Please be careful!

Well said, although this is not the first time this subject has been brought up by diff members here, myself included. I wholeheartedly agree with you but some ppl get super duper defensive and make all sorts of excuses when this sorta stuff is brought up.
    I wanna feel the change consume me,
    Feel the outside turning in.
    I wanna feel the metamorphosis and
    Cleansing I've endured within
    My shadow

Disclaimer: **I try and answer posts to the best of my knowledge but unfortunately, I am not a medical professional so take my advice/recommendations with a grain of salt.

Quote Originally Posted by PleaseRestructure View Post
    As you browse these websites, please be mindful of the difference between trying to temporarily "fix" your anxiety versus overcoming your fear. They seem very similar, but are each drastically different. The more we post "what ifs" and "do you thinks..." the more we are feeding into our belief that vomiting is something to be feared. We should be here to encourage ourselves to challenge the fear and work towards seeking genuine guidance in dealing with this phobia. Asking one another about the details of how to prevent contracting a virus is furthering our emetophobia. Instead, let's encourage us to restructure our thoughts against the fear itself.

As emets, it's easy to get lost in sites like these - trying to decode another preventative measure. The truth is that simply by being human, we are at risk of illness. However, I'd rather work on not fearing it versus obsessively avoiding it.

Easier said that done, of course...but not impossible.

Check out my blog by SEARCHING: PleaseRestructure Blogspot

Im so glad somebody said this. I do believe that some people's reliance on forums and persistant analysis of feelings, sensations and worries actually reinforces the fear. That being said, only when a person is ready can they tackle this phobia.
    "Hold your breath, count to 10. Fall apart and start again."

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Quote Originally Posted by DeadxxInside92 View Post
    Well said, although this is not the first time this subject has been brought up by diff members here, myself included. I wholeheartedly agree with you but some ppl get super duper defensive and make all sorts of excuses when this sorta stuff is brought up.
    I was going to post this exact reply

People do indeed need to be ready to overcome the phobia, I do know where you're coming from though, OP. It's frustrating watching some of the conversations that go on, even though I do understand completely why they happen
    Come visit my history blog:
    To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Quote Originally Posted by yummymummy View Post
    That being said, only when a person is ready can they tackle this phobia.
    The site is for anyone suffering from this phobia and everyone will be at different stages. Maybe some should stop reading certain posts if it annoys them so much.
    A major function of sadness is to help people become more aware of what they value and hence conserve it

Every time this comes up it makes me wary of posting. I don't want people judging me or telling me I'm not dealing with my phobia. (I am but sometimes I still need reassurance and that's why I use this site)

Quote Originally Posted by kam00096 View Post
    Every time this comes up it makes me wary of posting. I don't want people judging me or telling me I'm not dealing with my phobia. (I am but sometimes I still need reassurance and that's why I use this site)
    I don't judge anyone on here at all and I told the OP this kinda stuff happens every time this particular subject is thrown around. I agree with Erin and that's perfectly fine that some are not ready to overcome this phobia.
    My shadow

Disclaimer: **I try and answer posts to the best of my knowledge but unfortunately, I am not a medical professional so take my advice/recommendations with a grain of salt.

Quote Originally Posted by jptk View Post
    The site is for anyone suffering from this phobia and everyone will be at different stages. Maybe some should stop reading certain posts if it annoys them so much.
    Frustration and annoyance are different things I'm always out to do my best to help make people feel better about things if they need it, it's just frustrating (read: different to annoying) when I'm doing better with the fear as I am at the moment, kind of feels like I'm on the outside looking in, and seeing parts of what I used to be like in other people that I've since overcome. I just want to help people which I think is the point of these kinds of posts about how this site can be counterproductive, they have the best of intentions, to try and help people to recover rather than feed the phobia, but the problem is that a lot of people new to the site don't realise that people have to be ready to recover before they can work towards that goal.

I'm not judgemental either, like I said, I just want to help, and I'm through trying to encourage people to try towards recovering, because I admit, I used to be really very pushy when it came to that. Maybe I still am, but it's not my intention to be pushy, I just want to try and help. It's not a matter of judgements.

I agree with what you are saying, and it would be good if we could all come to this site and discover new ways of thinking and help ourselves overcome the phobia. But I don't think it's that easy to do on an internet forum, I just kinda don't get what to say to people to encourage them to change the way they think.

I agree that swapping tips for avoiding the virus or encouraging people to be extra cautious is not good for them, it just re-confirms that the virus is something that 100% must be avoided no matter what. But at the same time i'm struggling to think of ways in which we can actually help people get better. Sometimes what-if posts are what people need because they're freaking out and it reassures them to think they can come here for support.

Personally I use this forum to meet like minded people who understand how I feel and how time consuming it is to feel this way, and to share stories, whether they be successes or worries. That's enough for me, I don't come here in the hope that it will help me over-come my fear, but then again i'm a skeptic and don't think anything ever will fully rid it.

Honestly I think this site should make another site for recovering emets, or maybe someone on this site can do it. Its the best way to solve this problem. We have to face it some people aren't ready to recover even if we want them too and we have to respect that even if we get frustrated. We can't force people to change there ways until they want to do it themselves. There are times when I've been very frustrated myself but I learned to live with it or aleast I've tried.

Quote Originally Posted by jptk View Post

I never once stated that reading such posts annoyed me. I was simply saying that persistent analysis over ones physical/emotional feelings surrounding Emetophobia and discussing ways in which to avoid it is going to reinforce the fear.

I would never dream of belittling, patronising, making anyone on this site feel stupid for posts they make. I have hit the pits with Emetophobia and it truely wasn't nice place to be and know full well how frightened, irrational, lonely it can make you feel.
    "Hold your breath, count to 10. Fall apart and start again."

Quote Originally Posted by pinogirl3321 View Post
    Honestly I think this site should make another site for recovering emets, or maybe someone on this site can do it. Its the best way to solve this problem. We have to face it some people aren't ready to recover even if we want them too and we have to respect that even if we get frustrated. We can't force people to change there ways until they want to do it themselves. There are times when I've been very frustrated myself but I learned to live with it or aleast I've tried.
    Not sure it's that black and white though. I am recovering, am doing everything I can to and want to change my ways, but I still have flake outs and look to this place for support. So which category would I fall into?

@yummymummy, maybe you havn't, but many have at least implied it annoys/frustrates them. Simple solution is to not read or respond to posts that annoy/frustrates them and not dictating what people should or shouldn't say, do, or use this forum for.
    A major function of sadness is to help people become more aware of what they value and hence conserve it

I said it frustrates me, but only because i want to help and wish i could help more. I've said this at least twice now. You're taking what I'm saying out of context.

Quote Originally Posted by KaydeeJayde View Post
    I said it frustrates me, but only because i want to help and wish i could help more. I've said this at least twice now. You're taking what I'm saying out of context.
    No im not as I was not specificly referring to you alone. However, did you not say somewhere before that this is an anti-emetophobia site and not an anti-stomach virus site? Therefore dictating what people can and can't post about.

That's not exactly what I said, I think you're misinterpreting. I may have said something along those lines, but that doesn't mean this site annoys me. I'm not dictating anything, people can post what they want on here, it's an opinion, which really, in the grand scheme of things, means nothing at all. I'm just clarifying this, because I don't want anyone thinking I'm judging them at all, or annoyed by them, because that's just not the case.

You can fall into both, if you need support come here, if you want to talk recovery go there.. its not able singling people out its about giving people more options to help themselves get through whatever they need at that time. Either it could be for support, encouragement, or tips..

Pinogirl, that's a good idea. I guess that's kind of what the success and treatment boards are for I think, but yours is a good idea.

I don't know I just feel like it would be a easier way, so we can avoid these kind of diagreements, cause it seems obviously this site doesn't work for certain people at times in there life. It just seems the conjoined site isn't working all that well like I said dor some people. It might just be a good way to make everyone happy and people less offended on how we deal with this phobia in our everyday lives.

I think creating a whole new website just so some people don't feel frustrated is a little over the top. The site isn't the problem...

I don't think anyone has said they're offended. It'd certainly be nice to see more posts in the triumphs and treatments sections, they get a bit dead. I don't think there's a problem with the website, or the people on it, but I've explained myself enough times.

Meh I don't think creating a success forum is a bad idea but I still love this forum and even though I may want to stick my hands through the computer and wring someone's neck or facepalm when I read certain posts, that's not going to stop me from being supportive and as helpful as I possibly can. I don't think my case of emetophobia is as severe as others' on here so that may be why I get frustrated, but all frustrations aside, I still love to help out when I can and if it's needed.
    My shadow

seems to me the OP posted this to cause conflict and to promote his/her blog. look ive been saying for months that im skeptical of anyone truly being 100% cured of this phobia including sage. i also see alot of misinformation being given to people during panic attacks as well. the bottom line is this place will not cure anyone, we come here for advice and to calm each other down.
    Last edited by fixxxer2012; 03-08-2012 at 01:00 PM.

You think sage is a quack!? lol I kind of thought I was the only one who was a skeptic. Anyways, I am not sure how I feel about that but I generally don't take any 'experts' online seriously. I could just as easily say I'm an 'expert' and spew out advice. I don't know...the people who seem to be so anal about their expertise seem to be the ones who I find sketch. That being said, I think I'm in the minority on this one.
    My shadow

Creating a new website to me is not out of frustration to me is about the fact is all of people on this site are all at different stages of this phobia, and sometimes when in the middle of recovery some stuff triggers them on this site and they end up taking 2 steps back in progress, which is ok cause it happens.. I'm all for people using the recovery forum on this site but clearly its out weighed by other forums on this site, I just thought id suggest it, cause it can't hurt. And let's face it this subject has caused a lot of debate and somewhat conflict on this site, so why not try to finally solve it. No matter what making a new website for recovering emetophobia isn't going to change this site or how it works.

You think sage is a quack!? lol I kind of thought I was the only one who was a skeptic. Anyways, I am not sure how I feel about that but I generally don't take any 'experts' online seriously. I could just as easily say I'm an 'expert' and spew out advice. I don't know...the people who seem to be so anal about their expertise seem to be the ones who I find sketch. That being said, I think I'm in the minority on this one.
    no i don't think she is a quack but im not sold she or anyone can totally, forever get over this phobia. but yes she is a therapist and promotes her therapy on here.

Quote Originally Posted by fixxxer2012 View Post
    seems to me the OP posted this to cause conflict and to promote his/her blog. look ive been saying for months that im skeptical of anyone truly being 100% cured of this phobia including sage. i also see alot of misinformation being given to people during panic attacks as well. the bottom line is this place will not cure anyone, we come here for advice and to calm each other down.
    I posted it after reading/suffering through numerous posts that only made my fear worse. I don't blame the posters, the forum, the readers, or the writers. It's far less complicated. I simply strongly believe in finding a means to improve my life and combat this phobia. If I can promote and encourage one person to do the same - I see no harm in that. I am not cured, but would like to be on the road to recovery.

However, please feel free to disagree.

Let's not fall out everybody -at the end of the day no one has to stay around here if they don't like it or feel it is setting them back, and to the OP if you feel this site isn't for you and you don't like the tone, then why decide to join it and then create a bit of an inflammatory and preachy thread?

Everyone on here has got emetophobia of a varying level of severity and I think once someone has recovered to a level where they find people still suffering badly with it annoying/frustrating or don't feel able to empathise with and help them, then it's maybe time to bow out and be happy that they are better.

It's not up to you to determine the direction of this forum, whether or not you believe it should be recovery versus support based.
    Taking a sabbatical from IES, moving on, and making concrete changes to live my life without fear.
    Friends know where to reach me.
    So long, and thanks for all the fish.

Yes, I certainly don't feel the need to reach through the screen and wring anyone's neck when they're panicking :S

I agree with Pauline...

I think most of us know that avoidance feeds a phobia, but there are times when panic strikes and one seeks understanding. I certainly can't find it in the outside world, so I'd like to be able to find it here. Hope that's not too super-dooper defensive.

I really don't think the forum's purpose is to cure the phobia, and I don't think an internet forum would be able to fulfil that role. It's simply to provide a community and information. If visiting the site becomes an obsession then it should be nipped in the bud, obviously.