Welcome to the International Emetophobia Society | The Web's Largest Meeting Place for People With Emetophobia.

Question Any emets on here work as maids in hospitals??

Hey guys, I'm looking for a second job, and I've found a lot of good hours and wages with being a maid who cleans rooms in hospitals.
    I'm just worried that
    1) I might catch bugs from patients
    2) I'll have to clean up v* all the time!!
    Anyone on here work in a hospital and do okay??

Default Re: Any emets on here work as maids in hospitals??

I'm not a maid in a hospital but I work in a hospital and we've got cleaners on-hand 24 hours a day and they never seem to go off sick through catching anything from cleaning. I think with working in a hospital, you should probably expect to be cleaning up vomit from time to time. The way they do it in my unit is, they put a strong chloride powder all over it which hardens it, then sweep it up. By the time it's got the powder on it, you can't even tell what it is anymore and cleaning it up isn't a messy job. Go for it! Don't let your phobia hold you back!

I know this might be a little different, but I work in a nursing home and during our last noro outbreak not one housekeeper caught it while almost everyone else did. I think because they're the ones working with the bleach & cleaning products, they're almost the safest! I don't know how hospitals work, but typically we have to clean up any physical stuff on the floors or anywhere, and then they come and sanitize it. Like Elski said, definitely don't let your phobia hold you back, you can do it

I've worked as a Housekeeper at an Assisted Living for nearly 4 years now and have never gotten anything other than a cold from my job. Generally in housekeeping you are pretty safe because you are only coming in contact with things after the fact, you don't have to worry about anyone getting sick on you, in front of you, etc.. If you are careful you will never have anything to worry about. You are actually better off than people who can't walk around with gloves all day. I wear gloves basically all day so in reality I never touch anything contaminated, if you do the same you won't either.