Welcome to the International Emetophobia Society | The Web's Largest Meeting Place for People With Emetophobia.

Thread: Need help!!

Default Need help!!

Hi, I am new to this site and I am soo very glad that I stumbled upon it. I have an intense fear of getting stomach viruses/vomiting, and right now I have a huge problem. A few nights ago my dad was up all night puking, and my boyfriend who was staying with us threw up a few times as well. Two days later (today) my mom started throwing up and now my sister has it too. This is my worst nightmare and I am feeling extremely anxious. I feel like it's inevitable that I'll get it as well, even though I've been washing my hands constantly and not touching my face. I didn't come into physical contact with any of them while they've been sick, but I did sit in my boyfriend's room with him for a little while the day after he had thrown up. I also went into his room for a few seconds while the vomit was still in his garbage can. I'm freaking out, I feel like crying because I feel like I'm going to get it tomorrow or the day after, and I have a job interview on Saturday. I don't know what to do, I really need help. I can't even go upstairs because my mom and sister are throwing up and if I hear that sound, I'm going to have a panic attack.

Sorry that was so long, I just don't have anyone to tell this to Help and advice would be really great at this point. Thanks.

-Angela

Default Re: Need help!!

wow.....does sound like you are right in the middle of all this.....but i think your good hygiene will help keep the sv away. i know it's hard not to stress about it so try and find some good distractions for the next day or so to get you through.

focus on your job interview......and good luck with that
    how i feel about emet
    To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Hey all sympathys with you was there myself in December but if it helps I did not get it hand cleaning and not touching your face or mouth is a must try not to worry although i know it is easier said than done good luck with the job interview hang in there we are all with you !!!!!

Thank you so much!! I'm doing my best to stay away from my mom and sister right now, and keeping up with hand washing and hand sanitizer. I'm just really worrying about today/tomorrow, because that'd be the worst time to get it. I'm really hoping my interview goes well, but it's so hard to have hope when everyone in my house has gotten this sv! But thanks for the support, I really need it.

I know how you feel! I have not been on the boards for quite some time. I came back last night because my 8 yr old daughter started v*. She was sick 4 or 5 times between 9:30pm and 1:00am. I have other children... and I am scared that they will get it too.... and I will get it. I just want to run away. I feel just horrible.

Just keep washing your hands! Also know you are not alone in this. I am going through it too... It has just started in my house.

How are you doing?

Well today I've been going through periods of anxiety and then periods where I feel okay. I'm just soooooooo worried about tomorrow, I really need to go to this job interview and I can't handle getting the sv tonight! I'm just waiting for it to happen Wow, I'm sorry to hear that, I hope everything gets better in your house. Hopefully you don't get it!! Ugh, this morning I found out that my boyfriend is sick AGAIN, he v* multiple times this morning. I hope this ends soon, for me and you too! ^

Honestly as long as you are careful about washing your hands and definitely NOT touching your face at all, I don't see how you COULD get it unless you were beside them while they threw up. The only way for the sv to infect you is for you to touch your face or hands in mouth after touching something that has the virus on it. I would DEFINITELY say wash hands over hand sanitizer, because some sanitizers don't kill the virus. Bleach is the one thing that will kill it when cleaning, I remember working at a cafeteria in an office building where it was being passed around and I would literally dip my hands in the table cleaning water (bleach and water mix) after taking the money from the office workers... Terrible, insane, and my hands were chapped, but I never got sick!

The other thing I'd recommend if you're really worrying, is to go buy apple cider vinegar, you can research it online, but it's been known to help kill the stomach virus if you drink 2 tbsp in a bit of juice, three times a day. That's what I'm currently doing! Activated charcoal is also helpful, if you end up coming down with it or want to help your boyfriend out. It is supposed to absorb the virus somehow.. Not sure how, but it's worth a shot! Again you can research it

That makes a lot of sense, whenever my face is itchy I freak out!! If I make it through tonight and tomorrow, I won't be quite as worried, but I'm still very very anxious. Thanks for your advice though I will do my best to take that into account. I've been in my basement all day, and I've wiped down most of my house with Lysol wipes, along with continuing to wash my hands. I'm just worried that I touched my face yesterday or something, before I knew they were sick. I'm just gonna be waiting and hoping all day. Last time something like this happened in my house, where my dad, grandma, sister, aunt, and cousin got sick when they came to visit, I didn't end up getting because I spent so much time away from them. But we'll just have to see this time...

Quote Originally Posted by angelam199 View Post
    Thank you so much!! I'm doing my best to stay away from my mom and sister right now, and keeping up with hand washing and hand sanitizer. I'm just really worrying about today/tomorrow, because that'd be the worst time to get it. I'm really hoping my interview goes well, but it's so hard to have hope when everyone in my house has gotten this sv! But thanks for the support, I really need it.
    Best of luck on your interview....try and go in with a clear head...I know how traumatizing this situation must be for you...keep with your hand washing and good hygeine and you should hopefully feel fine...

Hang in there...do you have an MP3 or Ipod you can listen to??

Thanks so much, I'm hoping with all my heart that I can attend this interview. Even if I don't get the job, I neeed to know that I've done my best. I am definitely doing my best, like I said before I sanitized everything they've touched with Lysol wipes and I haven't gone an hour without washing my hands multiple times. I'm still just waiting around for tomorrow to come, I feel like today is going by so slowly!! I have been distracting myself with my iPod, movies, TV, and schoolwork all day, and my dad and I went out to the store and for some light lunch, so that was good for today I'm hoping that this all works out. I haven't been this anxious in a long time! My emet hasn't been bad for a while, but now it's come back intensely. *sigh* Thanks for the support again. This is comforting.

Hello, thank you again for your support in the thread I made a few days ago. I had my job interview today, which went alright. My mother and sister haven't v* since Thursday night, so I'm hoping everything's okay. I'm still worrying though! Anyway, thanks again, it means a lot.