Welcome to the International Emetophobia Society | The Web's Largest Meeting Place for People With Emetophobia.

Default Weird question... could be a little graphic for some.

As some of you have read... my daughter started v* last night around 9:30 and got sick maybe 4 times and was done by 1am. I did give her some dramamine. No d*, no fever. She woke up ready to eat breakfast and has been fine playing as usual.

I have been bleaching and doing laundry today. Very anxious... cause I have 6 people in my house that have most likely been exposed. Not sure where she got this from. My kids are homeschooled. She went to church last Sunday and played with kids down the street. I guess its possible she could have caught something from the kids down the street... as I have no idea if they have been sick or not.

Here is the thing... (read with caution)

My husband did the dirty work at cleaning "basins"... he came in and said there was a large amount of bubble gum. I took my girls shopping yesterday and got them the Hubba Bubba bubble tape gum... she swallowed quite a bit of it. Curious as to whether this could have made her sick? My thoughts say its doubtful... but one can hope, right??

Thoughts?

Default Re: Weird question... could be a little graphic for some.

I know you're reaching for alternative reasons for her getting sick. But to my knowledge, swallowing gum will not cause you to v*. And not 4 times, at least. I've swallowed gum several times in my life and it never caused me to get sick.

I'm not entirely sure about it, though. I guess it could be possible. I just don't think it's very likely. Kids swallow gum all the time

Yea... I know. She swallowed almost the entire roll. But yea... I am thinking it was probably viral. It was short though. 3.5 hrs... ugh. In the wait!! fun fun!

2.5 hours?? Doesn't sound like any sv i ve ever heard of

how old is she? Eating an entire roll of bubble tape is enough to make an adult sick to their stomache!! I honestly wouldnt doubt if that did it. That stuff doesnt digest!

Yeah, I don't think swallowing gum will cause vomiting. I'm sure it didn't help if the intestines were already inflamed. It seems likely that she caught it from the children down the street. However, if the gum was sugar free and contained an ingredient known as sorbitol or xylitol then yes, that could have caused her to vomit.

Actually I just did some research on ingredients and the gum she had DOES contain sorbitol...it's actually the first ingredient. Link: http://www.wrigley.com/global/brands...a.aspx#panel-3
    Here's a very informative article about sorbitol and adverse side effects it can have.
    http://www.buzzle.com/articles/sorbi...e-effects.html

I, myself am very sensitive to sorbitol so I have to watch for that whenever I buy stuff that could contain it. I get really nauseous from it and it screws with my bowels.
    Last edited by DeadxxInside92; 03-17-2012 at 12:11 AM.
    I wanna feel the change consume me,
    Feel the outside turning in.
    I wanna feel the metamorphosis and
    Cleansing I've endured within
    My shadow

Disclaimer: **I try and answer posts to the best of my knowledge but unfortunately, I am not a medical professional so take my advice/recommendations with a grain of salt.

Quote Originally Posted by madisonsmom View Post
    Yea... I know. She swallowed almost the entire roll. But yea... I am thinking it was probably viral. It was short though. 3.5 hrs... ugh. In the wait!! fun fun!
    Oh, the entire roll? I was thinking some small piece or something. I really don't know about that then. I have no experience with that and have never seen that happen. I guess it's possible it was due to the gum.