Welcome to the International Emetophobia Society | The Web's Largest Meeting Place for People With Emetophobia.

Exclamation HELP- first sunburn, nauseous!!!

This might sound stupid but to sum it up, I'm in Arizona without my immediate family (I'm with my dad's two cousins and my other cousin, I've never met my dads cousins before, and my cousin and I rarely see each other... they're very nice but they don't know about any of my fears or conditions). I was out in the sun today, it was about 77 degrees. I've never had a burn before- as usual, I lathered up in sunscreen and went out in the sun and went swimming (it was waterproof) and lay down.

I'm red as a lobster in certain places and I'm getting waves of nausea. My period finished last week. I'm nervous because I'm away from home and freaking out. Everyone is in bed but I'm not tired. I don't want to talk to them because I feel silly, and I don't want to worry them either. I've been putting Aloe Vera on my burns... I'm just nervous. I'm not educated on burns and I don't know if the nausea is related... is this something that can make me ill? It's in weird waves. When I'm not nauseous, the thought of consuming food is normal, not nauseating. But when I am I panic.

Just need to talk, need assurance, info on sunburns maybe? I'm too nervous to Google things because, well, I'm a hypochondriac (sure y'all know that).

Thanks hope I'm posting this in the right place, there's so many categories now (not complaining, I think it's great, I don't come on here as much anymore though so it's confusing).

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
    Att våga är att tappa fotfästet en stund, att inte våga är att förlora sig själv."
    "To dare is to lose your foothold for a moment, to not dare is to lose yourself."

Default Re: HELP- first sunburn, nauseous!!!

Sounds to me like you have a touch of sun stroke. It will cause the nausea, because you're dehydrated. You need to keep sipping water, or liquids of some sort, and don't worry, it will pass. Just make sure you start drinking now, that's what will help get the nausea to die down!

If you can have something with sugar and salt (like gatorade, or fruit juice with some salty snack) it'll help the dehydration as well. Keeping cool will help as well

Absolutely 100% sunstroke! I AM notorious for getting too much sun, Lol! And i hate myself for it later bc I'm miserable with the n* all night! Heh18 is right about the electrolyte drinks or something with sugar...maybe a popsicles too? You should feel tons better tomorrow. Get some sleep if you can

I also suggest taking motrin it will help with the pain of it and also drink tons of water! I've had this many of times and never got sick, even though I did feel nausea from it. It will be better when you wake up.

Feel better soon!!! Thats happened to me before too but I never threw up from it...also get some aloe to rub on your body where you are burned...I remember being in New Jersey once and this guy who owened the inn we stayed at gave us white vinegar too because that also helps with the burn, and don't worry you don't smell like a salad for that long! lol

Yep, sunstroke. I've had it too! PLENTY of water, aloe all over the burns. Just take it easy and relax. I've had it and didn't get sick, I just felt exhausted and nauseous.
    PM me for contact info such as skype, email, or facebook. Thanks!

Man I'm super nervous... I've never dealt with heat/sunstroke before. I really don't want to be ill.. the waves of nausea passed by quickly and I went to bed and slept fine. Woke up feeling 100%, then lathered up in sunscreen and went outside to the pool again. Stayed hydrated, drank lots of water etc. Then went and did yoga (it was very intense may I add!) and felt fine during that, too. Ate a full dinner, have had a weird headache for awhile... I'm also very nervous but not nauseous... it's only supposed to get hotter here until I return home.

Is it worth it to go to a clinic? I have travel insurance, but if I go to a walk in I'll have to pay upfront and be reimbursed when I return to Canada. My cousin said I'd probably be feeling 10xs worse if I had heatstroke (I was only nauseous/nauseated last night) but I don't know... it's mainly my head that's bothering me which could be from my sunburns? (I'm in denial- I'm just really scared lol)

Thanks everyone! Sorry if I sound stupid or weird but I've never dealt with this before, I'm usually really good in the sun, never had a burn, always tan. Guess I'm not used to the Arizona climate or whatever :/
    Last edited by kaiilyn_23; 03-22-2012 at 11:04 PM.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
    Att våga är att tappa fotfästet en stund, att inte våga är att förlora sig själv."
    "To dare is to lose your foothold for a moment, to not dare is to lose yourself."

If you are eating fine and drinking that water you should be totally fine. What are you scared about?

The sunstroke you had was just mild, no need to worry, it's over It won't continue on, and you just need to make sure you're careful with drinking enough water in the future. A clinic wouldn't find anything at all, because you won't have lasting effects (except the sunburn part). You drank enough, slept it off, and there is nothing wrong The headache can also be caused by squinting, if it's sunny and bright.

Honestly, sunstroke will cause some nausea, but once it's gone it's not going to just randomly come back and get worse. The reason it's there is because you were dehydrated! Other than that, just make sure you take some breaks from the sun, by laying under the shade until your body adjusts to sun and heat, wear sunscreen, keep drinking, and if you get the symptoms again make sure you keep cool, drink water, and wear cool, loose fitting clothing. It's truly nothing at all to be concerned with as you are completely recovered! From here it will just be prevention so it doesn't happen again This is what the health page I went to said:
    • Take steps to prevent heatstroke and sunstroke. Drink plenty of water, stay out of the sun, and avoid strenuous activity during hot weather. In addition, avoid drinking caffeinated beverages to keep yourself from becoming dehydrated.
      If you start to experience the symptoms of heatstroke, move to a cool, shady area and drink something cool—preferably a beverage containing both sugar and salt.

Thank you so much HEH18... like I said I don't know much about heatstroke(s??) so thank you so much... I'm feeling way better right now (nerves and even my head, thanks to water + ibuprofen). Thank you

My pleasure, I'm glad I could help ease your mind a bit! I can totally understand it being scary though if you've never had it before! Ha here in the Pacific Northwest it's definitely a rare occurrence