Welcome to the International Emetophobia Society | The Web's Largest Meeting Place for People With Emetophobia.

I just heard someone in our house v*. Now I am afraid to get that norwalk virus too.

How do I avoid it? I always wash my hands after being on the toilet,
    but it seems like it won't work, because I was sick in December 2004,
    and I always wash my hands throughly after been on the toilet.

What can I do more to avoid getting the damn virus?

How do you know its Norwalk?

Wash your hands and don't touch your face and use a different bathroom if you're able to. Don't eat anything the person prepared and wipe down all the surfaces that person has been in contact with with a bleach solution. Do you know it's a virus that caused the person to be sick?
    In memory of the sweetest german shepherd I ever had the pleasure of knowing. I love you, Duncan. 3/12/02 - 12/19/11

Relax and don't let yourself get stressed out. All you can do is wash your hands, eat well, drink lots of water, take your vitamins and THINK POSITIVELY! You will be okay.

Are you sure it's a virus? How many people do you live with? Were any of them sick when you had it back in December?
    \"This too shall pass\"

try to keep calm you cnt be sure its norwalk stay positive and take good care of your health hang in there kido

How do you know it will be Norwalk? they could have any reason for V*. Anyway my mum had Norwalk once (Dr confirmed it) and I didn't catch it even though I share a house with her so keep positive!!!!!!!!!!!! You can get through this!!!!!!!
    Be courageous, believe in yourself, and be the best woman you can be. I'm with you all the way.

How are you doing now????

Have you managed to calm down a bit?

I agree with the others, you can't know for sure its Norwalk, and just keep yourself away from the person ok? And keep yourself clean and healthy (easier said than done, I know!!)

Keep calm and let us know if things are ok....

Sonia

How are you doing??

what you really need to do is try and turn this negative problem into an oppurtunity to fight your fear a bit.

sure your scared you might catch this virus, or whatever the person has.Ask yourself, how would I handle it if i did catch it.. how would i make myself feel better.. would it really be the end of the world... ( sorry guys, my keybaord is messed and it doesnt let me use quotation marks or question marks)

maybe you could bring the person whos feeling sick a cup of tea, or pop in ad say hi for a minute, even if all your urges are telling you to run away. even if you could ask them if they need anything from outside their door..

do something that doesnt make your anxiety run.. like saying, okay, this person has the flu. then try to work your way up to harder things, that may scare you a bit. You will feel better, I promice. I know this is tough, and we are here for you.
    ~*Jill*~ Teacher, Advanced BSc in Psychology

"You can unlock any door as long as you have the right key". Mrs. Brisby, Secret of Nimh

I live in a place with 4 other (5 including me), its a living-training-place.

I know it is Norwalk because I and none of the others got sick after
    eating the dinner, and if it was caused by food poisoning then she
    would have been sick a lot earlier, just few hours after lunch.

So it can be nothing else than Norwalk.

The others in the house didn't get sick when I v* back in December, but
    that was because I didn't v* at the toilet... so the concentration of
    virus particles in the air were very low.

Just try to relax. Take care of your body.
    \"This too shall pass\"

If you think I am here to overcome my fear, then I can tell you I don't.

I am here to get advice of how to be even MORE sure not to catch the virus.

In November 28, 2002 I v*. Then I said to myself: Never eat before you
    have washed your hands with soap. Never eat anything other people has
    touched. Never use a knife or a fork if other people has touched the
    area which should come in contact with the food. Stay away from people
    who say they feel sick. Hold your breath when walking past an ill
    person.

I got sick in December. I think it was because I loosened a bit up for
    those strict rules I made for myself. I actually thought I was about to
    be cured from emetophobia because "wow, can you see? You don't get sick
    even though you don't follow those strict rules. Just wash your hands
    after visiting toilet or before/after preparing food".

Then a few weeks later I v*.

Since that time I have not only decided to follow very strict rules
    always. I begun to seek even more strict and useful rules to follow.

Maybe I can be cured from emetophobia, but when I get sick, it will come again.

And the traumas following after I've v* stays in my mind for months, even years.

I can't live with that.

Then it is better to follow strict rules than undergo several months of severe mental problems as traumas.

Edited by: dktekno

Quote Originally Posted by dktekno
    I live in a place with 4 other (5 including me), its a living-training-place.

I know it is Norwalk because I and none of the others got sick after eating the dinner, and if it was caused by food poisoning then she would have been sick a lot earlier, just few hours after lunch.

So it can be nothing else than Norwalk.

I disagree. I think it can be anything other than Norwalk. There are other stomach bugs out there. ones which do not have the same ways of transmission as Norwalk. There is the possibility that it was her lunch. I had food posoining from my lunch once and didn't get sick til the night time, it could be caused by a migrane. Does the housemate drink? Maybe it's that or maybe the dinner just didn't settle well in her stomach (my mum gets that sometimes) So you can't say 100% it can only be Norwalk and that you WILL get it.
    Be courageous, believe in yourself, and be the best woman you can be. I'm with you all the way.

how do you even know its a virus...? (one reason why this phobia is so damn hard..!)

they could have eaten something bad, have taken medication, had bad news...? were drunk - the list goes on...

ems x

No, everything indicates that it is the norwalk.

Because she was the only one who got it... for now...

No, everything indicates that it is the norwalk.
    Because she was the only one who got it... for now...

So? Sorry but that still doesn't say Norwalk to me, I'd be straight with you if it did. I think you are jumping to conclusions.

"I'd be straight with you if it did"

You can't. I'm a male.

"I think you are jumping to conclusions."

How can somebody who say she feel a bit nauseated, at noon, and then v*
    at afternoon and then recover completely the next day without any other
    symptoms, not carry the Norwalk virus? That sounds very much like the
    norwalk virus.

You can't. I'm a male.

"I think you are jumping to conclusions."

How can somebody who say she feel a bit nauseated, at noon, and then v* at afternoon and then recover completely the next day without any other symptoms, not carry the Norwalk virus? That sounds very much like the norwalk virus.

It sounds a bit like any other 24 hour bug too it sounds like someone who ate something that didn't agree with her it sounds like many other things but I'll tell you something now it doesn't sound like Norwalk. Not only is Norwalk a violent illness but you do not recover by the next day either. When my mum had it she felt ill for days, she had no energy and the Dr said it was Norwalk. If your friend went to the Dr they would say it may be any other 24 hours bug. A bug which might not be as easily transferrred as norwalk. It also might be that her food was not sitting right, that can happen too. Maybe it was even hormonal.

But none of the symptoms point to Norwalk. That is a much more violent illness that knoacks you off your feet for a lil while.

How is Norwalk "violent"?

Don't you think it has something to do with how many virus particles you got and how strong your immune system is?

Norwalk virus is highly contagious. 10-100 particles will infect you.

Perhaps she only got 11 particles.

In November 2002 I v* 3 times at a night. Maybe 500 particles infected me.

sorry are you for real? it certainly does not sound like norwalk to me.with norwalk you have violent episodes of v* and d* and its highly contagious.have you asked them why they think they v*?

How is Norwalk "violent"?
    Don't you think it has something to do with how many virus particles you got and how strong your immune system is?

Norwalk virus is highly contagious. 10-100 particles will infect you.

Perhaps she only got 11 particles.

In November 2002 I v* 3 times at a night. Maybe 500 particles infected me.

No I do not think it's to do with how many particles you get, mainly because the spores or whatever multiply which causes the illness in the first place. It is violent in that when you have it you are VERY sick and you will feel bad for a lot longer than one night, it drians you. it is a harsh stomach bug. It is also the only one that becomes airbourne.

So i think your friend may have had a mild stomach bug (yes there are other bugs than norwalk) that will probably not be as easily transmitted unlessyou swapped spit with her in the last 24 hours

This is a bit off topic, but I did not follow this line at all. Is that a joke? And if so, what does it mean?

You can't. I'm a male.

In addition, since you say that you don't want to be cured of the fear, my suggestion to ensure that you don't catch the bug would be to pack a bag and go stay in a motel for a few days. Of course, that would assume that the motel is clean enough to be free of possible germs.

Truthfully, I don't know how you think that you can avoid catching something. There is always uncertainty.

Quote Originally Posted by japa

This is a bit off topic, but I did not follow this line at all. Is that a joke? And if so, what does it mean?

You can't. I'm a male.

I'm sorry, maybe my english isn't as good as I thought...

In addition, since you say that you don't want to be
    cured of the fear, my suggestion to ensure that you don't catch the bug
    would be to pack a bag and go stay in a motel for a few days. Of
    course, that would assume that the motel is clean enough to be free of
    possible germs.

Truthfully, I don't know how you think that you can avoid catching something. There is always uncertainty.

Why a motel? Are they supposed to be clean an Norwalk-free?

you seem to be obsessed with norwalk!!!!!! every time someone v* doesnt mean they got norwalk

GRAPHIC:

My family and some others I know had Norwalk this year--my mom v'ed twice and had explosive diarrhea until nothing but water was coming out of her, 2 of my sisters, my friend & her daughter, and another friend's son had EXPLOSIVE, PROJECTILE, uncontrollable v'ing--where it was hitting the toilet and splashing back out, or hitting the WALLS, for hours on end!! I think you would know if it was Norwalk, believe me!!!

Well, I'd say that if you're playing the odds, the odds are that a motel or hotel room would not necessarily have had a person vomiting in it the night before, whereas you've definitely got someone vomiting where you're at right now.

In addition, since you say that you don't want to be cured of the fear, my suggestion to ensure that you don't catch the bug would be to pack a bag and go stay in a motel for a few days. Of course, that would assume that the motel is clean enough to be free of possible germs.

Why a motel? Are they supposed to be clean an Norwalk-free?

I'm sorry, but they only way you are going to know if it's Norwalk is if they go to the doctor and get tested for it, but believe me, it does not sound like it to me. My husband had it a couple of times in the winter of 2002. He was knocked off his feet for over a week. Severe vomiting and diarrhea at the same time too. ***GRAPHIC*** He had to hold a bucket in front of him in case he had to you know what while he was having the runs. He almost called 911. I wasn't there b/c he didn't want me to be. It could have been food poisoning too, but I think it was the Norwalk.