Welcome to the International Emetophobia Society | The Web's Largest Meeting Place for People With Emetophobia.

Well I've been apartment hunting since last Sunday and I've been having a bit of a dilemma. Since I started hunting I've been sick all week. It's hard for me to eat large meals and my appetitie is low. My dad said he had a bug and there is a bug going around. But, I'm not too sure if it's a bug or if I'm nervous about leaving my 'safe spot' (home). Did anyone here freak out before they moved away from home? I know there's normal nervousness invovled, but my stomach is flip flopping like crazy. But I don't know if it's a bug or not....argh!

AIM - r311dude (don\'t be shy, I love to chat)

I would say that if your intuition says it's nerves, it probably is just that. I think if it were a bug it would probably have hit you hard and fast.

Hang in there. I am sure that it is stressful moving from your safe place, but just remember.. you can make your safe place anywhere. You will be okay. Good luck findinga place.
    \"This too shall pass\"

I was very scared when I first moved out from my parents house. Are you moving far from your parents? When I first moved out I got an apartment all by myself, and even though I was scared, it was the best thing I ever did. You will be nervous until you get used to living on your own, but I promise moving out is an experience you don't want to deny yourself of cause of this phobia. And I am sure you are not feeling well cause of the new change happening in your life. Good luck on being on your own, its great!!

Moving is one of the most stressful things out there. It doesn't matter if you are moving out on your own for the first time, moving down the street or moving to another country, it's stressful. I don't know about you, but from reading the posts here I know that I and a lot of emet get stomach aches when they are stressed out. Sometimes for myself I will feel sick for days or even weeks and once I figure out what is causing the problem it seems to subside.

I moved a couple of months ago and the same thing happened to me!

It sounds like nerves. When I left my home (for another home, 14 hours away!) I was so so sooo nervous, but it was more excitement than anything.

I'm sure you'll be fine!
    .I just want to feel safe in my own skin. I just want to be happy again. I just want to feel deep in my own world. But I’m so lonely I don’t even want to be with myself. <3

I'm thinking it must be nerves... I'm moving out to an apartment in a few months to go to University, and just thinking about it makes me feel sick, for no particular reason. Nerves often lead to low appetite, so I'd try not to worry too much. Good luck with the move!

My stomach felt that way when I moved out. Well, actually before I moved out, my boyfriend and I (now my husband) were thinking about buying a house. We are both finance people and can't justify spending money on rent when we can own something. Anyways, we contracted on a house and for the next couple of days I felt awful. We weren't even moving for another month, but I felt so bad I couldn't eat or sleep. As soon as we decided that this house wasn't right for us and cancelled the contract - poof - all my stomach problems went away. Now I use that for big decisions. I always feel some aprehension, but if I feel that bad, I know I am making a mistake.

Don't get me wrong, I'm not saying you are making a mistake. It is perfectly natural to feel nervous moving away the first time when you realize YOU have to pay all of the heating, water, phone, etc. when you never had to before. I'm just saying listen to what your body tells you and you will know what it right. I'm sure you ar ejust nervous and not sick because it probably would have hit you pretty hard an fast if it was a bug. How did your dad feel? What kind of bug did he have? What kind of symptoms?

He had a d* bug for about 3 days. So I don't know. I appreciate all your feedback. I think I'm going to go thru with it =)
    AIM - r311dude (don\'t be shy, I love to chat)

Im way past when I used to be scared to leave the house for even an hour, much less a day, or for alongggg time....but once you jump in and do it, the nausia will subside, and when it hits, the longer your at that place, every day gets easier, the nausia becomes less and less. If your like me, moving AWAY from home, being on my own pretty much rid me of everyday sickness and anxiety! When you dont have to worry about other people and what theyve been touching or doing, or going to the same bathroom, its a bit of a relief