Welcome to the International Emetophobia Society | The Web's Largest Meeting Place for People With Emetophobia.

Exclamation question about Sarafem (brand Prozac) and antidepressants in general and nausea??

I'm very sensitive to meds and I started Sarafem (which is brand name Prozac) last night at 2.5mg. I'm deathly afraid of vomiting so my question is, even though it's making me feel nauseous in my throat ad my stomach, will it make me throw up? I didn't throw up from the first dose, but if I continue to take it, will it make me throw up a couple days from now because there's more of the drug in my system? Or wil I adjust? On a general note, if you were to throw up from antidepressants, would it always happen within the first hour of the first dose? If you took brand name Prozac or Sarafem, did IOU throw up from it other nauseous, when and how long did it last? thanks

Default Re: question about Sarafem (brand Prozac) and antidepressants in general and nausea??

I'm on prozac and never threw up. I felt a bit off at first but that's because my body was getting used to it. I'm super happy with it, my anxiety levels are way lower and I don't have obsessive thoughts anymore. You will be fine

Default Re: question about Sarafem (brand Prozac) and antidepressants in general and nausea??

I started taking Prozac about a month ago and I was super nauseous for the first week or so. All I ate was crackers, toast, peppermints, and Sprite. I found that I was less nauseous when I had food in my stomach. So even though I did NOT want to eat, I forced myself to eat just a few crackers and sip some Sprite and it made me feel a little better. I never threw up from it. It'll be okay.

I'm SUPER sensitive to medication and especially SSRIs but I've never thrown up from them. I was only on prozac for about a month and stopped because I had such a horrible reaction to it - nonetheless, I never threw up. Lexapro for me has been the worst only because if not taken with food and lots of water it causes burning similar to heartburn. Essentially, my SSRI history has not been a positive experience. What I found most helpful during transitional times is a prescribed benzo. Not only do they help with anxiety that can arise during this time but they double as anti-emetics. At the same time, they're highly addictive and hard to get off of.

But seriously, I can't imagine anyone being more sensitive to medication than I am and although it caused side effects, prozac never made me throw up. It made me lose a lot of weight and kind of made me go crazy at one point (this was a combination of withdrawal from zoloft and ativan and side effects from prozac - so not just one thing. My psychiatrist wasn't very good. But I wound up in the middle of a town in Mass at 3am not remembering how or why I was there.) But don't worry about v*ing. Everything will even out very shortly.