Welcome to the International Emetophobia Society | The Web's Largest Meeting Place for People With Emetophobia.

Default Help with panic relief

Hi there, I am new to this forum but I really was interested in what I saw. I have suffered from Emetophobia for 10 years and spend a lot of my time obsessing over it (as I'm sure you all do). I'm not sure of the forum rules so please forgive me if I mention anything I shouldn't. I am flying to New York in a few months (from London) and am really quite nervous about the flight/whole holiday really. I get so anxious on planes and have had several horrible panic attacks on flights and I would really love to find some medication to make sure I remain calm. As I'm sure you all are, I am very funny about taking medication due to any horrible side affects (and let's face it - practically all medications state that n***** & v******** are a common side effect). Does anybody have any medication they can recommend me that will calm my nerves and not make me feel (you know what)? I do plan on going to see my doctor and as much as I tell them I have Emetophobia and therefore do not want any medications that could make me s***/feel s*** - I just do not trust them as they have no idea how serious I feel about it! Any help/info would be hugely appreciated. Also, I'm sorry if I have posted in the wrong forum! Thanks.

Default Re: Help with panic relief

unless you plan on going to a dr to get some sort of sedative for the trip i would stick to dramamine and get the regular formula not the non-drowsy formula. it should relax you enough to enjoy the trip. take lots of distractions....puzzle books, video games, etc.
    how i feel about emet
    To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Ativan is an antianxiety and has antiemetic properties but it has addictive potential also. So you need to make sure you use it as directed.

Hi guys, thanks for getting back to me.

olschesky: I'm very new to any sort of medication/relief from anxiety. What is dramamine? Is it available in England? Trust me, I will be planning lots of things to try to distract myself on that flight!

bebzorg: Thanks for recommending Ativan - have you ever tried it yourself? As I said, absolutely terrified of any nasty side affects.

Thanks again.

I take Klonopin. But you need to get it from a Dr.I have no side effects from it and works wonders for panic and anxiety. I live in New York. Are you coming to New York City?

Hi Kellybeth, thanks for you recommendation. I have just googled it, definitely looks interesting. I will suggest it upon my next visit. Yes I am coming to NYC! Very excited but at the same time very nervous!

Yes I have been using it for years and it has probably saved my life a couple times. It works really fast and it doesn't really make me too drowsy just calm and it eases my nausea. It's like a security blanket for me just having it with me makes me feel safer. It is also only through prescription though.

I might be in the minority here but I have never condoned the use of benzos. They are highly addictive and as I understand it, the withdrawal syndrome is a bitch. Benzos will help you to feel better in the short term but not in the long term. I take a SSRI which helps to manage my anxiety/depression. I started in October and I feel SO much better than I did when I first started. I also have many methods of coping that I put to use on a daily basis. My main objective is to keep my mind occupied, therefore bringing my levels of anxiety down. I play video games which helps to significantly distract me as well as computer games, writing, listening to music, working out (which is awesome for the body and mind), playing with my animals, etc. Sorry if I seem to be preaching here, but I think there are much more effective methods of coping. Welcome to IES by the way!
    I wanna feel the change consume me,
    Feel the outside turning in.
    I wanna feel the metamorphosis and
    Cleansing I've endured within
    My shadow

Disclaimer: **I try and answer posts to the best of my knowledge but unfortunately, I am not a medical professional so take my advice/recommendations with a grain of salt.