Welcome to the International Emetophobia Society | The Web's Largest Meeting Place for People With Emetophobia.

Default Planes and Emetophobia?

I am going to be going on a plane in like... a month! I am scared that I will have Motion Sickness on the plane -.- or have "Jet Lag" and be sick. I am going to be with my daughters father, but he kind of thinks I am crazy with my anxiety already since he always flies. He doesn't seem to understand that I am super freaked out. Also this is my first plane ride. And I have tried Dramamine... NEVER AGAIN. Made me so paranoid I hated it. Oh I should add that the first plane is an hour long and the second is 4 hours. Ugh. AND I HAVE CLAUSTERPOBIA.

Any tips? How was your experience with flying?
    Tumblr :
    To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Facebook :
    To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Youtube :

~No matter where life takes me, find me with a smile.
    ~

Default Re: Planes and Emetophobia?

I'm flying in 2 weeks, 1 hour flight then a 4.5 hour flight I did it in 2010 and was fine, just nervous.

I went to my doctor prior to the flight and got motion sickness prescription pills, meclizine. But I think it's like Dramamine so I don't know if I'd recommend that to you.

Do you take anything for anxiety? I take Xanax on and off when I need too and the doctor prescribes me Klonopin for flying/trips. I usually take 1 .50 mg per day while I'm on vacation just to keep me calm, and I don't eat anything new. I always stick to common foods, nothing raw.

Just bring some tums or ginger pills - if you have nothing for anxiety and can't get to a doctor you can pick up some Valerian from a herbal store, it's a natural calming herb that also helps with aches and pains.

And bring LOTS of stuff to distract you, I always do that. I have like 3 or 4 things I can "do" to distract myself.

Good luck and have fun!

I do take Xanax! Which I will be definietley taking with me. Not sure if I should fly on an empty stomach or what to reduce chances on vomiting. I am terrified to fly but I don't have a choice and I think the end result will be nice. I am moving back into my old place in Wyoming. It's just nerve-wracking. I am so scared I will be sick from the flight. I know it's uncomon but I have read horror stories. Plus being closed in on a plane scares me.
    Tumblr :

Facebook :

Youtube :

~

Def do not fly on an empty stomach! I am flying very early in the morning so I usually eat a small bowl of cereal (cheerios!) just to get something in my stomach. Then, while at the airport, if I feel hungry I will eat something small like a muffin or something. I never go overboard with food and/or drinks. If you starve yourself you will feel sick(er) ... but if you gorge in food you will feel yucky. Just eat something small and keep a granola bar or some chips/crackers on hand in case you feel hungry while flying.

Thank you. I will definitley keep that in mind. Is there a better place to sit?
    Tumblr :

Facebook :

Youtube :

~

Front and/or middle of the plane is where you'll feel less turbulence ... I always chose an isle seat because my anxiety makes me pee a lot

I love flying!!! It's such a cool experience and it's very relaxing imo. Try to get a window seat if you can--if you're not afraid of heights that is! It really is not so bad and the overall flight is usually very smooth give or take a little turbulence. I hope you have fun!
    I wanna feel the change consume me,
    Feel the outside turning in.
    I wanna feel the metamorphosis and
    Cleansing I've endured within
    My shadow

Disclaimer: **I try and answer posts to the best of my knowledge but unfortunately, I am not a medical professional so take my advice/recommendations with a grain of salt.

While I'm not a fan of flying, I do it anyway....I'm okay on the plane and I'm always afraid somebody else is going to get sick on the plane. *knock on wood* I've never seen it happen near me.

I also don't get motion sickness. I do always get a ginger ale when they offer drinks just out of habit.

If you are worried, bring something to do like a crossword puzzle or even better, an Ipod or mp3 player that way all sounds of anything is canceled out...it relaxes me honestly. I fly to Florida once a year so that one hour on the plane should be nothing and it goes by so fast!

Good luck and I hope your first flying experience is a good one!

I was just on a plane like 2 weeks ago. I fly a lot, and often on really turbulent flights (I won't tell you which are most likely, as specifics on this site tend to do more harm than good). The only moment of panic for me was when the woman next to me pointed to this woman who'd been uncomfortable through the whole flight and asked "Did she just get sick?" I thought my heart had stopped for a moment, but I looked over and she was just grading papers and had her head down.

If you have to pee often, sit in the aisle. If you never have to pee on planes aim for a window. Obviously try to avoid a middle seat unless you're sitting next to someone you know. Sometimes they will offer the extended leg room sections for a VERY small fee (like $25) and if they do, you should take it. If the exit rows are still available, take those seats as they almost always have more legroom. Sometimes it's a LOT more, like more than first class. Over the wings is the least turbulence.

The Xanax will totally eliminate the anxiety. I took one once before a horrible flight (one of the most crowded travel days of the year, very long flight, all sorts of horrible things) and I didn't even feel any pangs of fear, I was as calm as if I'd been sitting in a lawn chair the whole time, seriously.

Jet lag isn't an illness, it's when your sleep schedule is off from a time difference.
    Last edited by person54321; 04-18-2012 at 10:30 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by person54321 View Post
    I was just on a plane like 2 weeks ago. I fly a lot, and often on really turbulent flights (I won't tell you which are most likely, as specifics on this site tend to do more harm than good). The only moment of panic for me was when the woman next to me pointed to this woman who'd been uncomfortable through the whole flight and asked "Did she just get sick?" I thought my heart had stopped for a moment, but I looked over and she was just grading papers and had her head down.

If you have to pee often, sit in the aisle. If you never have to pee on planes aim for a window. Obviously try to avoid a middle seat unless you're sitting next to someone you know. Sometimes they will offer the extended leg room sections for a VERY small fee (like $25) and if they do, you should take it. If the exit rows are still available, take those seats as they almost always have more legroom. Sometimes it's a LOT more, like more than first class. Over the wings is the least turbulence.

The Xanax will totally eliminate the anxiety. I took one once before a horrible flight (one of the most crowded travel days of the year, very long flight, all sorts of horrible things) and I didn't even feel any pangs of fear, I was as calm as if I'd been sitting in a lawn chair the whole time, seriously.

Jet lag isn't an illness, it's when your sleep schedule is off from a time difference.
    OMG this totally reminds me...several years ago my fam and I went to Vegas to see my grandparents and family on my mom's side. On the flight back I was stuck in the middle between my younger sister and this random dude. It was so awkward lolol..I kept drifting off to sleep only to be jolted awake by that falling sensation. That guy must've thought I was insane because my arms and legs were like flailing everywhere lmao.

Jet lag SUCKS. When we got home since Vegas was 3hrs behind Ohio, I wouldn't fall asleep until the ass crack of dawn and get up at like 4pm the next day. Haha I'm sure that's not that bad seeing as how I've never been out of the country.
    My shadow

Disclaimer: **I try and answer posts to the best of my knowledge but unfortunately, I am not a medical professional so take my advice/recommendations with a grain of salt.

Thanks guys! I feel alot more comfortable about getting on a plane now. I will be with someone I know and myone year old daughter. I hope that she preoccupies my mind. It always helps me if I worry about someone else other than focusing on myself. Glad your flights weren't terrifying for you! I am not scared of others v* just myself which is strange. So if someone else is sick on the plane, it will be fine for me. Just hopefully I don't get sick. I will eat crackers before the flight and drink Gingerale or Ice water. I will also take my Xanax. I feel a bit more comfortable now. Thank you all (:
    Tumblr :

Facebook :

Youtube :

~

LOL. It's ok, he probably just thought you were crazy. (just kidding)

My worst middle seat incident was going to New Zealand, so it was 12 hours. I was stuck between this guy who thought his leg room went diagonally into mine (about halfway) and fell asleep that way, and this very very overweight woman who really needed two seats. She kept throwing her arm in my lap and accidentally turning on her seat screen. The worst part was she was SO sweaty. I did not sleep well that flight...

I probably wont sleep at all during my flight. Lol
    Tumblr :

Facebook :

Youtube :

~

Eww that is awful and sounds unbelievably uncomfortable
    My shadow

I cannot tell you how many flights ive been on, but the nuber is HIGH. IVe been to Hawaii 3 times (11 hour flight each way), Europe too many times to count ( 8 hours each way) and all over USA. PEople getting sick on airplanes is rare, and when they due it is usually due to alcohol consumption. But they now limit how much someone can drink to avoid that. Youll be fine! Most planes now have a TV at each seat with games and movies and stuff, and Ill get so absorbed in them, the flight is over before I know it. Youll be fine! Flying is fun!!!!

Oh, and on a trip to Portland ( 5 hour flight) the guy next to me was too large to fit in his seat and I had his ass and leg in my seat the entire flight. That is probably the worse experience I ever had flying.

Hey ,

I would advise getting some Diazepam from your doctor and taking it about an hour before getting on the flight , it relaxes and calms you down and is completely safe to take along with the anti sickness tablets .... also there are thing's called sea bands which apply pressure around your wrist on the nausea point and they help an awful lot with motion sickness and Mints , a vicks stick and rescue remedy ..... with all of these things you will be fine and hopefully relaxed

Hope it all goes well.

sam
    xx

Thank you guys for all the replies (:
    Tumblr :

Facebook :

Youtube :

~

You will not vomit. If you are really bothered by the thought of using a "feel better" bag, try Bonine. It is better than Dramamine and won't make you sleepy. It is also sold as Dramamine II. I also doubt you'll have jet lag at all after a 4-hour flight, let alone jet lag bad enough to make you sick. You will be fine. You will like flying. You're going to earn your wings, and you will laugh at the "feel better" bag.

Doug
    To learn more about emetophobia, see

Quote Originally Posted by DeadxxInside92 View Post
    I love flying!!! It's such a cool experience and it's very relaxing imo. Try to get a window seat if you can--if you're not afraid of heights that is! It really is not so bad and the overall flight is usually very smooth give or take a little turbulence. I hope you have fun!
    Omg, me too! I LOVE flying so much, and I've never had anyone get sick near me on a plane.

To the OP, I don't find that the jet lag is too bad if you're only in the air for five hours. Certainly not enough to make you feel sick, and even more certainly not enough to make you vomit, just like Doug said. I've heard people say Bananas are good for before flying to keep your stomach full. Sip water as well, that always makes me feel better if I feel a little anxious. I usually try to get a window seat and I don't really feel claustrophobic. The only flight that ever made me a bit like that was a 12 hour one, and even then it wasn't bad at all.
    Come visit my history blog: