Welcome to the International Emetophobia Society | The Web's Largest Meeting Place for People With Emetophobia.

Default Need More Reassurance ...

Ok so I posted a few days ago about how my Boss had the sv* on Sunday night (or she thinks she did - she v* for 4-5 hours then stopped, and no d*) and she came to work on Tuesday ... so she had not been sick for more than 24 hours when she came back to work.

Anyways - today is Thursday and I'm still freaking out a little that I may have been exposed but I wasn't really near her all day and made sure to wash my hands, etc. I also disinfected my desk with clorox wipes tuesday, wed and today. We'll see :-/

So this morning, a girl I work work had a really nasty cough when she woke up. She came to work and then went to the doc around 9:30, called us around 10:30 and said she had some sort of virus and was staying home today and tomorrow. Ok, a cough I can handle, respitory infection I can handle.

So, a guy I work with who thinks he knows *everything* said today that the girl with the cough said her doctor told her that the virus she has is the same virus that's causing the sv* that's kind of going around. I had to disagree because I thought that a sv* & a respitory virus were 2 different viruses.

Thoughts??

I'm trying not to panic

Default Re: Need More Reassurance ...

First off, just because you were around someone who had the bug does NOT mean you are going to get it! I can tell you that as my husband had the bug last month and we only have one bathroom and I came out of it fine (minus my major panic and anxiety through the roof!). I just made sure to wash my hands and I bleached the poop out of my bathroom (no pun intended). But I know how scary it can be thinking that since the person who had it is in the same area as you. Out of the 10 women I work with, half of them had it and I still came out ok. Just keep up with the hand washing and cleaning your desk (I still every day wipe down my desk with wipes that say it kills noro) and keep your hands out of your mouth, eyes and nose and you will be fine.

As for the sv* and the cough? I have not heard that at all! I have heard of people who have had a nasty cold which causes them to cough really hard that causes them to get sick. I have heard that kids have gotten sick because of having too much mucus in their tummy. I know when I have a cold and I don't have enough food in my tummy I will feel iffy due to the post nasal drip. But I have never heard a sv* and cold that go hand in hand.

I know that over here in New England, there is a nasty cold going around that will knock people down hard, but has nothing to do with the tummy. I think this guy is a little misinformed. I hope that helps.

Thanks Jelly - that does help. He doesn't know about my phobia and all the research I've done on the sv* so he probably thinks I have no idea - haha

She just had a cough, no stomach troubles, and stayed home because the doc said it's been going around - I'm in NY so I'm not too far away from you. I still don't want to get a cold but I'd rather take that the the sv* if I had the choice!

I'm not sure if my wipes kill noro but I know they're better than nothing

Ya, I have one of those guys here at my work that is a big "know it all" but he really has NO idea about ANYTHING!!!!

Ya, with it being a cough/cold, it is airborne, so it is highly contagious. I know docs here at work (I work in a large hospital) are telling people to stay home if they are coughing/cold or to wear a mask. She might have a fever. If we have a fever over 100, we are required to stay home until we are fever free for 24 hours.

I buy my at Walmart. Look at the back, it states it is effective against Norwalk Virus and Rotavirus. They are called Redi Wipes. The one I have is in a green tub.

Thanks - I'm going to Walmart this weekend and will have to look for them!

Hell, I'm new here. From England and its currently 2.50am. Awake and trying not to bother my boyfriend as he needs sleep but I'm freaking out about the virus. My sister and brother in law had it and I had to rescue their 3 month ok boy. So was eexposed to it on Tuesday for a brief moment while I fed him and got him ready to take to my house. They are both okay now and the kids didn't get it. However, my mum has it now and im freaking. Hers wasn't as bad as theirs. But as she was I'll last night around this time I have naturally woke up terrified and panicking and have bowel pains. She was very clean as she knows my fear. Not eaten much all day and have a job interview tomorrow to add to matters.
    Got to tell myself..im fine..right?

I hope you are doing ok. As long as you are keeping you hands washed and out of your mouth eyes and nose you will be fine. Remember, the only way to get it is to ingest it. Being around someone who has it doesn't mean anything. The only way to be around someone who has it and start to worry is when they are getting sick. And even then your chances are some what low. Keep breathing! You are not doomed to get it. My hubby had it a month ago and we only have one bathroom and he had it bad, but I never got it!!!

Agree with JellyBN83 I also experienced this over christmas my daughter and husband caught it in varying degrees with my daughter being the worst my systems were just feeling s* and tired and obviously very anxious but was fine you are not doomed to get it by any means handwashing and bleaching will help hope you are ok

Hope you are doing ok!!!