Welcome to the International Emetophobia Society | The Web's Largest Meeting Place for People With Emetophobia.

Unhappy Does anyone else do this?

When I feel sick, I start having anxiety and extremely bad panic attacks. Which I am sure a lot of us can relate to but, how do you deal with the anxiety and panic? For some reason when i have anxiety or i start to panic I tend to start scratching myself until i bleed.It doesn't hurt while i am doing it, but it hurts after and i hate making odd excuses for scratched on my forehead. (My forehead is usual where i go first and do the most damage.) I don't feel like this is a normal reaction to panic or anxiety. I guess my question is, does anyone else do this? Or do anything similar?

Default Re: Does anyone else do this?

I pick at my nails

Id usually pinch myself. Especially my sides or in my stomach somewhere. I would also dig my nails into my side and stomach. It would just distract me from the panic I was feeling. Pain directed toward elsewhere kept my mind off of it for a split second. Haven't done it in a while though

Self-harm is not healthy at all. You need to talk to a therapist about this. I used to self-harm as a teenage (I'm 29) and eventually just realized it wasn't worth it, especially when you're older and have scars. You need to try to distract yourself in other ways. When I'm really n* and feel like I'm going to v*, I will play solitare (with actual cards), or I will force myself outside for a walk, or I will call someone and just talk about anything but how I feel. I can't sit in front of the tv & be distracted, I have to do something. Lately, if I feel any anxiety over anything I start playing soduko because you really have to concentrate on that and eventually I calm down.

i'm also a pincher....also twist and play with my hair......knitting and word/number puzzles are helpful too.......anything to get your mind off of it....you're not alone
    how i feel about emet
    To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

I run aroud all over the house, go outside, I cry, I scream, I cut myself.

Once I am in that panic, I can't turn my mind away from it and it really f**ks me up. Bad. It is like trying to run from your own thoughts it's horrible.
    Tumblr :
    To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Facebook :

Youtube :

~No matter where life takes me, find me with a smile.
    ~

picks my nails.. i just rip them off... i have no nails lol

My parents used to play cards with me and it worked for a while, but then it stopped working. Then i tried talking to people, but it gets so bad i physically can not talk. I have mentioned it to my therapist ( which i havnt seen in over a year) and she just kind of shrugged it off? I agree that i do need to find other ways to cope with anxiety i just have to find something that really distracts me.

Quote Originally Posted by olschesky View Post
    i'm also a pincher....also twist and play with my hair......knitting and word/number puzzles are helpful too.......anything to get your mind off of it....you're not alone
    I didnt want to mention this because i am a but embarased but i have pulled almost a quarter of my hair out during panic attacks. But thank you for ensuring me that i am not the only one and for your suggestions.

Quote Originally Posted by Murder-my-soul View Post
    I run aroud all over the house, go outside, I cry, I scream, I cut myself.

Once I am in that panic, I can't turn my mind away from it and it really f**ks me up. Bad. It is like trying to run from your own thoughts it's horrible.
    I completely agree. Its like i would do anything to make it stop.

Quote Originally Posted by Amber Williams View Post
    picks my nails.. i just rip them off... i have no nails lol
    OUCH that sounds like it hurts! well if it makes you feel any better i look like i shaved the bottom half of my head from pulling my hair out.

I just get angry, which sometimes leads to broken possessions, including my wry growing pinky >.>

When I start panicking/have anxiety symptoms (coupled with anger I would say) I think I may be more prone at picking at my skin, which is why I hide it so much when I go outside. It's embarrassing. Yeah my sis is trichotillomaniac (hair picker). We both have OCD which is very related to it.

I also pinch myself..I also shake so badly! :/