Welcome to the International Emetophobia Society | The Web's Largest Meeting Place for People With Emetophobia.

Question Prevention?? Is there anything you can take?

Hi,

Just curious whether there is anything you can take, herbal or otherwise that has actually helped. My son and I were at a friends house yesterday and about 2 hours after we left his son started v* - 5 times and of course we are freaking out and I was just wondering if there is anything out there that I can give to my son and I to help reduce the risks of us catching this virus he obviously has. Any suggestions? Im desperate to try anything lol!!

Default Re: Prevention?? Is there anything you can take?

I don't know of anything preventative, but once you start feeling nauseated, take Pepto-Bismol and have Gravol/Dramamine ready. Pepto-Bismol is strong enough at suppressing the vomiting center in the brain that it can counteract a small dose of syrup of ipecac. Gravol/Dramamine can not only prevent vomiting from motion sickness but from ordinary illness too.

I keep Gravol suppositories on hand in case I ever have a really bad nausea that means my stomach has stopped digesting (in which case a pill would be useless.) I've never used the suppositories.

Doug
    To learn more about emetophobia, see
    To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

ok so sorry to sound dumb Doug but im from Australia so im not sure what most of those things are lol. Should I just google them?

Are you asking what Gravol suppositories are or what a suppository is?

hahah thats funny no, I know what suppositories are. I didn't know what Pepto-Bismol and have Gravol/Dramamine were.

Pepto-Bismol's generic name is bismuth subsalicyclate. Gravol/Dramamine's generic name is dimenhydrinate.
    To learn more about emetophobia, see

yeah thank you. I googled them but we don't have them here, but im pretty sure we have some things that are pretty much the same but with different names. Im more concerned with what there possibly is that you can take that could possibly help prevent catching the v* wog in the first place as its obviously a virus of sorts. He v* 5 times and is fine today but still!

do probiotics prevent v* viruses? I seriously need some piece of mind here ;( I want to sleep tonight!

I've heard some good things about tummy tuneups - it's a very strong probiotics. I just ordered some the other day off amazon.com but I haven't tried them yet. I guess they're more beneficial when you're having tummy troubles or are at risk of developing tummy troubles (like being exposed to the sv* or eating something that was bad.) I take a regular probiotic (the phillips brand) once or twice a day along with vitamin c to boost my immune system. I also exercise everyday at least 20-30 minutes (usually I walk on the treadmill or outside) but the better your immune system the better chance that if you do get the sv*, the symptoms won't be as severe. At least that's what I've heard.

Probiotics are good for general stomach health, but I'm pretty sure they don't help at all to prevent the stomach virus. Rather than trying to stop the virus, why not try and target the anxiety it's causing you. There's a product available in health food stores (yes, in Australia) called Rescue Remedy. If you haven't tried it already, give it a go.
    Come visit my history blog:

yeah I have heard of it and used it over the years. Thanks. Its the "2nd" day so im at my peak waiting to see if my son will get it and then possibly me so it has to be by far the worse of all the days. He is stressing too because he feels sick - no doubt from my excessive worry about him or I catching it. Poor little buggar. Fingers crossed and let it all be in our neurotic heads lol

Pepto bismol has less efficacy than dopamine, serotonin, and 5HT3 antagonists in the treatment of NoV. Pepto bismol (generic name: bismuth subsalicyclate) are primarily used as anti-motility agents in diarrhea. Recent studies have found that antimicrobials are more effective in the treatment of community acquired gastroenteritis (British Family Medicine). Pepto bismol is NOT an antimicrobial. If you'd like I can send you a link to the article.

Also, there is no specific drug that stops vomiting. There are numerous chemeoreceptor zones in the brain and not all vomiting pathways have been identified, therefore, no drug or method is a surefire way to stop vomiting. You can believe what you must about breathing techniques, pepto bismol; but the truth is there is there is not one tested and true method to stop vomiting in it's tracks.

The best drugs to use while you have gastroenteritis is a dopamine, serotonin and 5HT3 antagonist. Dopamine antagonist anti-emetics would be Reglan, Zofran, Compazine. Zofran is also a 5ht3 antagonist, but the cost for 5ht3 anti-emetics range from "$17-195 per pill. Reglan is a serotonin antagonist.

"Intestinal irritation is a frequent cause of nausea. Agents such as Norwalk virus, rotavirus, and Salmonella species cause 1.2 intestinal infections per person per year.14 Medications such as aspirin and ferrous sulfate can cause nausea through visceral stimulation. Because visceral fibers are mediated primarily by serotonin, 5-HT3 antagonists are effective in the treatment of these disorders.14 Anecdotal reports also indicate significant success for treatment with dopamine antagonists, which may be more cost-effective first-line agents than serotonin antagonists (http://www.aafp.org/afp/2004/0301/p1169.html)."

In short: your best bet is to get a script from your doctor for any of the above mentioned. However, the BEST prevention of stomach flu is washing your hands and practicing good hygiene.

It sucks, it's unpleasant, and there are tons of other things I can imagine I would rather do. However, the fear is worse than the actual act. Keep reminding yourself that it's a natural process and you don't have to live in a shroud of anxiety.
    Last edited by lizzo; 04-23-2012 at 01:59 AM.
    Taking a sabbatical from IES, moving on, and making concrete changes to live my life without fear.
    Friends know where to reach me.
    So long, and thanks for all the fish.