Welcome to the International Emetophobia Society | The Web's Largest Meeting Place for People With Emetophobia.

Hi I'm new here and I'm glad to find there are other people like me out there. It makes me feel better to know I'm not alone in suffering from Emetophobia. Anyway I had a question:

I watch ER, it's one of my favorite shows but when they show someone V*ing on that show it doesn't really bother me...it used to but not anymore...does that mean I'm slowly getting over my phobia? What do you all think?

~Monica

Hello,ER is one of my must see shows also, but vomiting scenes I have a little trouble with. Majority of my fears are catching sv's, or dealing with my kid's vomiting,, especially when it's contagious. I think your phobia is not assevere as some of us, but that's a good start

Hii~ Welcome to the site! Anyway to answer your question, the phobia varies from person to person. You just got used to it since it is your favorite show i guess, but that's good. =]
    <font color=PINK><center>Believe in Yourself</center></font>

I don't watch ER but there have been vomiting on many shows that I watch and I hate it. When you least expect it and it happens its like holy cow didn't see that coming!! Wing is right this phobia varies person to person. It is good that it doesn't bother you.

When it comes to TV and Movies I can handle the V. When it comes to ME doing the act it scares the CRAP out of me. I guess I can handle it when I know it's fake but as soon as I think I'm going to V I totally freak out and start having a panic attack. Thanks for all the replies though!

~Monica
    David Duchovny I want you to love me
    To kiss and to hug me, debrief and debug me
    David Duchovny I know you could love me
    I\'m sweet and I\'m cuddly-I\'m gonna kill Scully!

I agree with the above posters. I would also like to add that I too have been able to adjust to seeing v* on TV and in movies. It makes me flinch a bit now, but when I see it, I try to force myself to keep my eyes open, because I know the only way to beat a phobia is to face it. The bulk of my fear is actually doing it myself.

I used to avoid such scenes altogether. My friends used to watch Stand By Me quite a bit at sleepovers when we were kids, and I would always leave the room for the big v* scene.

Vomit scenes on TV don't bother me at all either unless they're real (I watched Super Size Me the other day and the guy in it vomits for real - I had to put my fingers in my ears!) I suppose when it's just a programme my conscience knows it's not real so it's nothing to be bothered about.

When I first had cats and they vomitted I'd run out of the room and let somebody else clean it up but now it doesn't bother me one bit.

I suppose it's all down to exposure therapy [img]smileys/smilies_04.gif[/img]
    Nikki

I have gotten to where I can watch "V" scenes on TV and in movies, I guess because I know that it is not real life and it isnt something I could catch. Used to, I couldnt stand to see anyone "V" didnt matter, who, what, when, or where .........