Welcome to the International Emetophobia Society | The Web's Largest Meeting Place for People With Emetophobia.

Unhappy Antibotics and fear of throwing up.....

Hi,
    I have a really bad infection- a UTI and I am terrified to take any of my meds. I've had it for about a month and just got meds last week for it. I was wondering if there is anything else I can take or anything to stop me from getting sick. I explained to the doc that I am an emetophobe but she said it didn't matter; that it wasn't a big deal.
    Also, I'm agoraphobic so I am staying in the house now because I can't stop peeing and feeling really weak.
    Any suggestions?? Thank you in advance *big hugs*

Default Re: Antibotics and fear of throwing up.....

I went through the same thing a while back and my doctor said I could take an antiemetic 1/2 hour before taking the antibiotic. That's what I did and didn't experience any nausea. As you know, it's important to get rid of the infection so please ask your doctor or pharmacist if it's okay to mix an antiemetic with whichever antibiotic you've been prescribed. Oh and I also made sure I had a little something in my stomach before taking the antibiotic. You can do this!

Thank you, I will call the pharmacy today (don't want to call doc- she keeps sending ambulance for my panic attacks/agoraphobia:/).
    What is an antiemetic, like pepto or something?? I tried eating crackers/cranberry juice and it takes like hours...I will try and post when I fig out what to do. I do have phrenazopyrid/ 200mg and it really doesn't help me stop peeing or feeling sick. The antibiotic is Cipro...I couldn't help myself from looking at the reviews and it was bad...want to change to another kind of antibotic but I already went in for a 15 min check- up and she won't change it. I will try...

I hate taking antibiotics too. I will usually drink lots of cranberry juice and also take cranberry tables. These are found in the vitamin section in the store. If I have to take an antibiotic I try to convince the doctor to give me the children's liquid version of it. It seems easier on the stomach/intestines. They won't always do this though...
    When I had my son it was an emergency c-section. they accidentially cut my bladder so I ended up with a cathater for 2 weeks. Anyhow they told me I would surley get a bladder infection and uti from the catheter. I was breastfeeding so I was determined NOT to catch either of these(you can't breastfeed on antibiotics) so I drank the cranberry juice and took the tablets. The doctor was amazed that I never got those infections...

Hi i have taken cipro many times and never v* from it. It did give me some d* tho. Its very important to take the meds with a uti. I waited to long one time and ended up with a kidney infection. I had horrible back pain and n* from it. Then i had to take two rounds of antibiotics and have a sonogram to see if the infect damaged my kidneys. It wasnt fun. Take the meds you will be ok and feel so much better when the uti is gone
    We are each our own devil and we make this world our own hell - oscar wilde

I had a 10 day of Amoxicillin in Feb for a sinus infection & was terrified of what it would do to my stomach but I was fine. I took extra probiotics (about 2-3 hours after I took the anitbiotic) and I think that's what helped

I called the doctor and she and nurse were angry and refused to give me anything for nausea. And they said even though I just got meds Friday, it's no good now.
    My parents got involved, made situation worse and now I've got to go to the hospital tonight.
    I am very confused and angry I don't know I hate hospitals the worse but looks like I'm going tonight.