Welcome to the International Emetophobia Society | The Web's Largest Meeting Place for People With Emetophobia.

Thread: im new here..

hey, this is my first time on this site, and im so happy/shocked that i discovered this resource...

ive been an emetophobe for all my life, and hadnt puked in like 13 years..until last february, i got a stomache bug or something and puked ALOT. it traumatized the hell out of me...anyway

since then, every slight twinge of pain in my stomache makes me think im gonna puke, which then makes me really anxious, which then makes my stomache hurt....its a vicious cycle. so for the past year, pretty much i have felt like crap (stomache-wise) about 75-80% of the time...its definitely started affecting my life and happiness... throwing up and how my stomach feels is ALWAYS on my mind...ironically though, despite all these ridiculous stomach issues, i have not once thrown up. weird.

if anyone has any words of wisdom, knows what im going through, or any encouragement i will bow down and kiss your feet....seeing as all my friends, parents and even my therapist seem to be getting frustrated with me...THANK YOU

Hey welcome! This site rocks by the way, you'll get loads of support here. I think the paranoia about stomach twinges and stuff is just our basic emet stuff. Theres a whole lot ofcrap that happens when you have this phobia. You just have to try telling yourself, hey I didn't v* last time that happened. Or the last. Or the last. And hopefully it will help.

Yeah I'm new here too. I have the same problem. I always think that once my stomach is hurting then it's all over and I'm going to V*. But I just have to calm myself down and keep telling myself that things are going to be okay.

~Monica

This phobia is so hard to deal with especially when your anxiety level is through the roof. I have had this for 31 years now, time goes by so quick. I have my pills for my stomach to ease the nausea, pills to calm me down but I take a herbal remedy first and if that doesn't work than I will take my pills. O take deep breaths, drink some chamomile tea or ginger tea and pray really hard!! The times that are the hardest for me is when my son is puking,: if all of a sudden I am somewhere and someone has puked. I find that people who are close to me such as family and friends don't understand this phobia but when they see me all freaked out they feel sorry for me. They do become frustrated with me because I tend to stay in my apt, not go out too much. I understand how your family friends and your therapist become frustrated. How long have you been seeing your therapist? If my therapist showed any signs of frustration I would be looking for some one else. I have come to realize that I will have this until the day I die, I just figure out how to calm myself down, sometimes it works and sometimes it doesn't. You will find this site helpful and I become friends with them.

whoaaaa....thank you guys for responding so fast!!! i genuinely feel happy that im surrounded by people like me in this site...

well, i've been seeing my therapist for about 3 years...its not so much shes getting frustrated...maybe its more just that she doesnt seem to have anything new to say. so maybe its me getting frustrated with her... i guess it could be worth it to look for someone else..

in the meantime...i actually have gotten pretty into understading the biology and medical aspects of stomach issues...sometimes when im bored, i look in my parent's old med. school books and learn about diagnoses and treatments and all kinds of random stuff... somehow it makes me feel better to understand more...

i also have done enough research to know that ginger is supposedly really good for stomache issues...so now, if chamomile tea doesnt help i take 250 mg. of pure ginger root powder(they sell it at healthfood stores)...sometimes it helps and sometimes it does nothing, but again...it somehow helps me to know that im doing something, anything to make the pain go away....