Welcome to the International Emetophobia Society | The Web's Largest Meeting Place for People With Emetophobia.

Question Should I get a cat?

I would really love to get a cat, but I'm afraid that my phobia will get the better of me.

Cats are known to cough up hairballs, and they can get sick and go blargh because of it. I've never lived together with a cat, so I don't really know what it's like to live with hairballs. Do they get sick regularly, and would it perhaps be too much for someone who's often worried about sickness? I also wonder if it is possible to prevent a cat from getting any hairballs at all or if that's impossible.

I'm really on the fence about buying a cat. I would hate to be anxious about my kitty.

Default Re: Should I get a cat?

Hair balls for cats are really not that common in from my experience. You can get a food that helps prevent it, and also help out the kitty while they are shedding.
    Keep in mind that cats can get sick for various reasons though. It's usually not all that often, but it does happen. The good thing is, that you can't catch it, and it's not nearly as gross dealing with it!

I have a ginormous 10 yr old cat that I had to take in for my girlfriend. He hangs out in the bathroom most of the day cuz he doesn't like my dogs and he's too fat to run from them!

Alright, thanks! That puts me a bit at ease. I guess it could differ from the various breeds and stuff, but I have decided to get a short haired cat. That might help a bit. If the cat should get sick for any reason, then I guess that's just something I'll have to cope with.
    Funny how your cat stays in the bathroom of all places. )

Yeah hey! He weighs about 30 pounds and hangs out in the bathtub or under the sink. He wanders around more at night when the dogs are in my room with me.
    I have to warn anyone who uses the bathroom because he comes out when he hears someone. Usually he scares the crap outta them! Lol

Haha! That's a part of why I want a cat, they can be so silly!
    Hopefully I'll be ready for a kitten soon. I guess I could ask the ones selling them about the hair and vomiting too.

I have two cats. One of them very rarely v*s or gets hairballs, and the other one does maybe a couple of times a month. FWIW, it doesn't bother me at ALL. I find it neither as gross or threatening as a human v*ing--maybe it's because they're like my babies? Worst case scenario, you cover your ears and look away, then carefully through a cloth over it so you don't really have to see it (it doesn't actually smell bad). Cat poo is much grosser!

My cat almost never vomits ...only when he over eats. My biggest concern is him getting on top of counters and pillows (I am a germaphobe)
    Cats are amazing! Even though he stresses me out sometimes...I would never get rid of him.

i have 2 cats and love them dearly......they rarely v or have hairballs.....maybe i'm got 2 lucky ones ......but animal sick doesn't really bother me cause i know i can't catch it. they also get on my kitchen counters at time and walk around....never caught anything from that

pets are a great distraction and have a calming effect on me......so great for an emet much lower maintenance than a dog.....no walking them in the rain/snow etc.......mine use a litterbox and never go outside.......litterboxes are easy to scoop than picking up dog poo in the yard.....ick...lol

get a cat.....or two.....they are very therapeutic
    how i feel about emet
    To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

I have had three cats (two currently), and only one of them got regular hairballs. However it's nothing like human sick at all, it basically just looks like cat food (sorry if that bothers you) and is easy to clean up. I've never caught anything from my cat.

Like olschesky my cats have had extremely calming effets on me! They cuddle with me when I feel upset and are so silly and active and adorable. Go for it!
    PM me for contact info such as skype, email, or facebook. Thanks!

I would love to have a cat or a small dog but this phobia won't let me because I'm afraid to even touch an animal let alone live with one. Having said that, my friends who have pets have never gotten sick from them and now that I think of it, I've never seen any of them (the animals) vomit.

You really can't get sick from a cat. The only thing I know of that can be passed is toxoplasmosis, and that's a mild respiratory virus (not to mention basically impossible to get as long as you scoop the litter every day).

My bf has two cats. I live in his house. I have two dogs. One of his cats throws up almost on a daily basis and it makes me gag to go near it, but then, I'm not really a cat person at all. I can, however, be right there for my dogs when they are sick without batting an eyelash. I will add that my bf's cats are on the hariball foot, and the one still gets sick all the time..blurg

I have a long haired cat and he does get hair balls a lot, but it really just looks like hair. Not scary at all to me! I have four dogs and when one of them gets sick it does gross me out but it's not scary.

There are SO many ways to prevent hairballs! Furminator treatments, regular brushing, a good diet, etc. A smooth coated cat help reduce the risk as well

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

You may find these links helpful!

Good quality breeding + Good quality raising = healthy cat. My cousins cat vomited once, I hated that cat forever since.

LOVE MY CAT! When I used to get really bad panic attacks, I found cuddling her really calmed me down. Weird but true.

When my cat barfs, there's really no puke, it's like she's just coughing up her food. There's no scent, I can easily clean it up without worrying. Always keep in mind that animal vomit is NOT in anyway contagious. I used to think that my dogs vomit was contagious and I'd freak out. Cat's only vomit when they have foods that upset their stomach, like my cats food was upsetting her stomach we learned and we switched, and it hasn't happened since.

Att våga är att tappa fotfästet en stund, att inte våga är att förlora sig själv."
    "To dare is to lose your foothold for a moment, to not dare is to lose yourself."

Quote Originally Posted by MarrickFait View Post
    Good quality breeding + Good quality raising = healthy cat. My cousins cat vomited once, I hated that cat forever since.
    I agree with the second part, but "mutt" cats are at least as healthy as the $800 purebred kind! Shelter cats rule!

Quote Originally Posted by lucyandfelix View Post
    I agree with the second part, but "mutt" cats are at least as healthy as the $800 purebred kind! Shelter cats rule!

I agree. You don't need a purebred to have a healthy pet. Purebreds actually have just as many problems as they are prone to certain disease. Yes, good breeding can minimize that risk but not eliminate it.

No matter what cat you get, be prepared for the chance that it may not be perfectly healthy in every way, but there is a lot you can do to prevent or treat problems

You may find these links helpful!

It might help with anxiety to get one, there is evidence to show that stoking an animal has calming effects. I am getting two house rabbits in a couple of weeks so I'm hoping that I will see an improvement in my anxiety as well as rehoming two lovely rescue rabbits! :-)

Huuuuge cat lover here!!! I have three, and love them to pieces. Yes, one of my cats gets sick sometimes (she's older) and I can't always clean it up (hubby does). But there is sooo many positive aspects of cats. They are sooo loving, calming, like others said, fairly easy to care for, and will bring you so much joy. I would definitely get a shelter cat, or kitten. And really, having 2 is better so they will have company. But if that's too much, start with one. Kittens are adorable but much more work...they play and run like crazy and often scratch and climb, etc. Are you familiar with cats or ever had one? Do you live with others who can help take care of it? It is definitely a long commitment. Good luck and let us know!

I have had cats of all kinds all my life.

Well, they don't hack up hairballs as much as one would think. Plus if they do, it's nothing contagious and it's over quickly. Frequently brushing their coats will help them not to get hairballs.

It's not gross when they do, no smell and hardly a mess and I would rather clean up cat chow chow than any other animals. They don't do it often!
    Tumblr :

Facebook :

Youtube :

~No matter where life takes me, find me with a smile.
    ~

I had a cat that was always coughing up hairballs. fortunately I don`t have much of aproblem with animals vting, & just cleaned up after him, unfortunately I can`t get the stains out of the carpet, despite having it steam cleaned.