Welcome to the International Emetophobia Society | The Web's Largest Meeting Place for People With Emetophobia.

Question Does rescue remedy work for daily anxiety?

I have brought spray rescue remedy as my anxiety is bad on a daily basis and I don't want pills, just something natural like rescue remedy. But, does anyone here use it? Is it effective for daily general anxiety or is it better for "bad" moments only?

Default Re: Does rescue remedy work for daily anxiety?

Every day anxiety I think. They actually make rescue remedy gum and throat lozenges that taste yummy,I use those instead of spray.

I havenever heard of that but sounds interesting.

I've tried it. Honestly, I don't think it has ever helped me. I used the drops, 5 on my tongue for every 15 minutes while feeling anxious. There is very little clinical support concerning rescue remedy - but I have read people who swear by it.

Studies done on valerian root have been more significant. It has a sedative effect which will help quell anxiety. I would take it but it interacts with lexapro which I'm on.

Rescue remedy will not hurt you. Keep in mind it's 27% alcohol - the positive testimonials I've read about it say that alcohol targets GABA receptors in your brain. These are also what are targeted by benzos (xanax, klonopin, ativan, etc). Because of the alcohol in rescue remedy, it has the potential to have a similar effect - BUT at such an incredibly small dose (despite being 27% alcohol, you could probably drink the whole bottle and not feel the slightest bit drunk) I doubt there is much science to back up that claim.

In your case Hay (and I'd be more than willing to talk to you more about this) - I'm not sure if rescue remedy will be enough to soothe the extreme anxiety you feel. It's meant more as a supplement to promote "calmness" throughout the day. I would potentially invest in some valerian root - or really consider medication because it really does work well for some people (although I totally respect your decision to avoid it). Again though, rescue remedy will not hurt you.