Welcome to the International Emetophobia Society | The Web's Largest Meeting Place for People With Emetophobia.

Default Family problems?

hey - I'm a fourteen-year-old emet. I was wondering if any other teens felt like their parents and family are trying to help but only make it worse?

Last time I was in a panic attack my mom tried to make me eat something to feel better. I know she wants to help, but all I could think of was how much worse that made it.
    Also, this phobia puts alot of strain on my family... my little sister once yelled that it was so FRUSTRATING that I wouldn't calm down and ran out of the room. I felt incredibly guilty, but no less scared with no way to make her feel better.
    Anyone else have similar problems? I feel very isolated...

Default Re: Family problems?

I'm a fourteen year old emet too and my family makes things horrible. today my brother knew i was in the room next to him so he made very violent v*ing sounds at me. my sister downloaded a soundtrack of someone getting ill and she plays it at me. my other brother just teases me all the time :/ yeah lifes pretty tough most of the time, i feel your pain

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

I'm fourteen as well!

My mom does not help at all, she thinks it's a dumb fear and blatantly tells me that. My dad has never said anything, but he hasn't thrown up since he was 15 and he's 49. We suffer from the same stomach issues - I feel like he's a "closeted emet". He won't take care of my little sister or my step-mom when they're ill, and would never take care of my mom when it came to that either. He'd leave the house. I'm very suspicious now! But he's the type of person who would NEVER admit to any type of anxiety or fear.

katherines6 sorry about your sister, that's really disrespectful. Really, really low. I'm sorry.
    My brother is the most supportive - he suffers from anxiety as well, as does my mom, but she just refuses to be sympathetic. My brother has always calmed me down, taken me outside, bought me anti-emetics and mints, always been super nice. He has an intense fear of death - as do I, and a lot of people. He helps me all that he can. My friends don't really understand though; some people brush it off, others make gagging noises, and say things like, "If I puke, it'll be all over you!" since I don't get into the extremes about how panicked I get.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
    Att våga är att tappa fotfästet en stund, att inte våga är att förlora sig själv."
    "To dare is to lose your foothold for a moment, to not dare is to lose yourself."

i know exactly how you all feel! i am 16 and have a 8 month daughter (i was raped) and i feel constantly that my family don't understand parlty because i am terrified of talking about it but i have 6 nearly 7 siblings and most of them are nice about it but they do make fun of me sometimes and get really frustrated with me which makes me really angry too and used to lead on to a massive breakdown from me but now i have a baby i cant exactly storm of when ever i want. but at school my friends and random people make gaggign noises because they think it is funny but it is definately not funny for me! but if any of you need to talk i am here i have been through a lot with the rape, anxiety, fear of talking and pregnancy

thank you all for responding! It's so nice to know that I'm not the only one who feels misunderstood.**