Welcome to the International Emetophobia Society | The Web's Largest Meeting Place for People With Emetophobia.

Exclamation Help! Terrified to take Lexapro

Sitting here with my first dose of Lexapro (10mg) and I'm petrified that may have n* or that I may v* if I take it.
    Doctor said to take half a pill (so 5mg) for the first 3 days with food to counteract stomach upset.

I have Zofran on hand just in case.

I really need to get my anxiety under control, but the idea of taking this is sending me into a serious panic.

Anyone have experience with Lexapro? Help and encouragement are sincerely appreciated!

Default Re: Help! Terrified to take Lexapro

You should try taking a zofran an hr before ur meds. That may help.

Im sitting in the same boat with Klonopin. Tryi to figure out dosages and exactly how I'm supposed to feel if it's working!

Thanks so much for the reponse.

Do you happen to know if the Zofran still be effective if I take it after the Lexapro? Sorry, I'm new to the IBS/anxiety meds...

I'm supposed to take Klonopin at night as well. Hopefully one day I can be Rx free!

I'm on Lexapro. I was on it for a few years some time ago, and I've not had any n* at all with it. I really like it. I have depression and anxiety, and I was on Zoloft before this (because I had a baby a year ago, and I am breastfeeding), but I found it wasn't as helpful with anxiety. Lexapro has been great, and I can get the generic for so much cheaper.

One note: If you do ever decide to go off of it, taper very slowly. No n*, but I got some headaches and "brain zaps" when I tried to go off too fast.

Quote Originally Posted by lucyandfelix View Post
    I'm on Lexapro. I was on it for a few years some time ago, and I've not had any n* at all with it. I really like it. I have depression and anxiety, and I was on Zoloft before this (because I had a baby a year ago, and I am breastfeeding), but I found it wasn't as helpful with anxiety. Lexapro has been great, and I can get the generic for so much cheaper.

One note: If you do ever decide to go off of it, taper very slowly. No n*, but I got some headaches and "brain zaps" when I tried to go off too fast.
    Thanks so much for sharing your experience. I went ahead and took my first dose today. Feel a little "blah" but nothing that's not manageable.

I was on Lexapro two different times and was nauseous both times. It lasted only a week, and the second time I knew how to control it more. I know the pills are tiny, but I cut them into quarters and went up VERY slowly. I also had Zofran the second time, and that helped. That helped control the nausea much more. I never v* from them, and it did help me a lot when I was dealing with some really sad issues. It is worth trying, but I completely understand your panic.

You all have been extremely helpful. Thanks for your support and understanding!

I've been on Lexapro for quite a few years now and never had a problem with it. It won't make you sick, and you will feel much better once you are on it. Go for it!!

I have been on Lexapro twice and will have it always! I love it. I was n* at the beginning, but I started it slow doses and with food at first. But I had Zofran as well. My two magic pills as I call it!! I hope you are feeling good!!!

I first started Lexapro 6 years ago and had ZERO side effects. I weaned myself off of it last summer and then started getting bad panic attacks so I started taking it again. For some reason the second time around I had side effects (not sure if it was all just the pills or if it was my heightened anxiety). I never v** or anything but I did lose 5 pounds (which for me was a plus!) lol from lack of appetite and nausea. It was a different kind of nausea though, I never felt like I was going to v**. I did have a few days of super intense emotions and anxiety (which for some reason anxiety can be a side effect of starting Lexapro, which is ironic since it is given to help anxiety). Don't let this scare you though, I love Lexapro and I am panic attack free while on it! and the side effects only last about 10 days and haven't had any since.