Welcome to the International Emetophobia Society | The Web's Largest Meeting Place for People With Emetophobia.

Default Stomach hurts now I'm freaking out!

My stomach started to hurt last night and kinda subsided. I woke up extra early today because I could not stop sneezing. Had a few cups of coffee and have been hungry all day but then my stomach started to hurt again. I was bored and got on the FDA website just to see the recent recalls. Well turns out the shredded lettuce I bought was on there for listeria. We ate some I believe Friday night with tacos. I looked up listeria and it causes v*. And it says symptoms can last 7-10 days. I'm freaked out about it. I didn't eat much just 1 taco but I ate the lettuce and I don't know how much you need to ingest to become ill with it. I'm freaking out right now and need advice.

Default Re: Stomach hurts now I'm freaking out!

The following general nutritional guidelines may be helpful in the case of food poisoning:
    •Drink plenty of fluids (to prevent dehydration).
    •Drink barley or rice water (to soothe inflamed stomach or intestine).
    •Probiotics, such as Lactobacillus acidophilus and Lactobacillus bulgaricus, can help restore the balance of good bacteria in the intestine. If you are traveling to an area where the food and water may be contaminated, in addition to taking the precautions above, taking probiotics both before and during your trip may help maintain intestinal health.
    •Apple cider vinegar is a traditional remedy that, although it has not been studied scientifically, may have some antimicrobial properties. Mix 2 tsp. in one cup warm water and drink several times a day.

For specific types of food poisoning:
    •Alpha-lipoic acid -- Several reports indicate that alpha-lipoic acid, an antioxidant commonly found in broccoli, spinach, and beef, may help treat Amanita (mushroom) poisoning, especially when combined with milk thistle (Silybum marianum). Seek medical treatment if you suspect mushroom poisoning. Do not self treat.
    •Vitamin A -- Studies on rats show that vitamin A offers some protection against salmonella. Rats infected with Salmonella appeared to eliminate the bacteria from their bodies faster when pretreated with vitamin A rather than with placebo, according to one study. They also gained more weight and had a greater immune response than rats given placebo.
    •Calcium phosphate -- One animal study suggests that rats receiving calcium phosphate supplements may be protected from Salmonella poisoning. Researchers think that calcium phosphate helps boost Lactobacillus, the good bacteria found in the intestine, which helps fight off Salmonella.

Supplements to avoid:
    •Fish oil -- In a study of mice infected with the bacteria Listeria, animals that regularly consumed diets rich in fish oil had significantly more bacteria in their spleens than animals that consumed diets rich in lard or soybean oil. Until researchers can determine what these results mean to humans, people with Listeria infection should avoid foods containing fish oil.

Following Up:

For a severe case of food poisoning, you may need to stay in the hospital to receive fluids and electrolytes, so health care providers can monitor your breathing. Doctors may need to insert a tube down the throat (intubate) or connect you to a machine to help with breathing. Dialysis may be required. Cathartics (substances that help the body remove waste), enemas, and lavage may help eliminate toxins.

Treatment:

Seek medical aid. Drink lots of fluids. At the first indication of possible food poisoning take several charcoal tablets.Activated charcoal is a wonderful remedy that everyone should have on hand. It adsorbs many poisons and toxins. Be aware that it will absorb drugs including Syrup of Ipecac that might be taken to induce vomiting in cases of food poisoning.
    Other natural treatments include a dropper full of alcohol-free goldenseal (a natural antibiotic) extract taken every four hours. Milk thistle and red clover aid in liver and blood cleansing.
    Garlic is a natural antibiotic and may help prevent bacterial growth.

Default Re: Stomach hurts now I'm freaking out!

I hope you are feeling better!