Welcome to the International Emetophobia Society | The Web's Largest Meeting Place for People With Emetophobia.

Thread: Quick Treatment

Default Quick Treatment

I'm traveling out of the country for a mission trip in about a month. I'm only 15 and my mom has been meaning to call a therapist for me for a long time, but she just got around to it. The only opening is two months from now, after I'll be back from my trip. This trip is may include a long airplane ride, many dirty children and people, possible contaminated water, possible food poisoning, altitude sickness, and poisonous bugs. I was really hoping to get some professional help before I went, but now I know this is not possible. My mom doesn't understand my fear and is not helpful to talk to. And to make things worse, my emetophobia has been a lot worse recently, and has flared up at random times. I'm on lexapro and it helps control my severe symptoms (such as thoughts of suicide), but I am really worried about my trip. What is somethings I should be doing to prepare for what I may experience on this trip? Has anyone had any success with any self-therapy methods, or even just little tricks to help my calm myself down?
    Thanks so much.

Default Re: Quick Treatment

I used self hypnosis relaxation tracks and found comfort in those. I too did many mission trips when I was younger. Are you going with a group of people you know? If so, perhaps you can open up to one or two of them and find comfort and strength in those people.

Edit: Can I ask where you're going? We always stayed in the US, but still traveled far from home :P
    Last edited by asianeko; 05-21-2012 at 11:30 PM.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

You may find these links helpful!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Default Re: Quick Treatment

I heard unisom (OTC sleeping pills) help with anxiety. Get some Dramamine and sea bands. To be honest I think sea bands are just the placebo effect but I use them anyways, they help me calm. You're young enjoy your trip but I would definately watch what you eat and drink and don't stress too much on the bugs, just watch your step. Remember they're more afraid of you. But definately try those OTC pills. I took them when I was pregnant and it was ok but I think I had to take the unisom with vitamin b50 for nausea. Good luck!