Welcome to the International Emetophobia Society | The Web's Largest Meeting Place for People With Emetophobia.

Default Cross contamination (sorry to post again!)

Sorry to bother everyone again (I posted earlier about something different) but I just have a query about cross-contamination.

I went to a BBQ this evening at my fiancé's parents (the weather here is LUSH!) but I thought I saw my father in law to be use the same tongs for cooked and uncooked meat. Now I MIGHT be wrong (I'm sure you all know what an emet mind is like!) but I thought he picked up some BBQ pork frmo a packet with some tongs and then turned used that for turning over meat and what not that was cooking on the BBQ.

I didn't have any of the pork. I'm mega fussy about meat so only had beef related products. But now I'm worried that I'll get something, even though my OH said it's unlikely he did that. I don't want this waiting game as I'm off to bed soon, and I feel stressed enough as it is (see my other post) but my stomach is hurting and I'm feeling so anxious it's horrible.

Default Re: Cross contamination (sorry to post again!)

It is unlikely he did this, but even if he did I have to admit that I have seen people do this multiple times and they have never been sick. It's definitely not the best practice, but not ultimately dooming either. I would be more worried if he did it with chicken, as thats the "danger" meat when it comes to salmonella. Don't worry! You're probably just anxious. Eating at bbq's is a pretty big feat for an emet!

I also went to a bbq today by the way. It was wonderful! But I caught myself inspecting the meat :P I'm always that weirdo asking for mine literally burnt on the grill!
    PM me for contact info such as skype, email, or facebook. Thanks!

Default Re: Cross contamination (sorry to post again!)

It wouldn't matter if he used the same tongs to turn meat that was still on the BBQ cooking because the raw juices from the pork would cook. It's only after it's cooked that you're not supposed to use the same tongs to plate it.