Welcome to the International Emetophobia Society | The Web's Largest Meeting Place for People With Emetophobia.

Question I think my 9 yr old daughter has Emetophobia

Hello.
    I have just registered after googling for some help and advice and ended up here. I have a 9 year old daughter who has had an irrational fear of vomit and vomiting herself. Today at school she was heard about another child who had been sick in the school grounds and had what can only be described as an anxiety attack. I am so concerned as her reaction has never been this extreme in the past. She has been pale and restless all evening and now cannot sleep as she is fearful she will vomit. She is not ill, her temp is normal....hence finally realising I need some help. Please can anyone help and/or advise. She barely ate this evening either.
    I can pin point an exact event as a toddler at nursery where this fear began. I will not go into detail as I am concious that anyone reading this on here will also have the same phobia. Is there any treatment or help you can recommend please.
    Thanks in advance.

Default Re: I think my 9 yr old daughter has Emetophobia

My 8 year old and i have emet too. The only thing you can tell her is that school will be out very soon for summer break. My kid is done after tomorrow. For some reason this bug is really hanging on going into june. As far as treatment you may have to seek a therapist.

I think asking your family doctor for advice/treatment would be the best step. I'm sure there would be some sort of counselling or therapy suitable for a 9-year-old that would be friendly and non-frightening. It's really great that you have picked up on it; I don't think all parents would realise what was going on. Are you generally happy with your GP and think that she/he would be good at dealing with the situation? You may also be able to go for a private counselling option if you were more confident about it, but I'd certainly see what's available on the NHS first. Perhaps in the meantime just reassuring her that she's unlikely to vomit just because another child at school did? And also taking her mind off it by talking about nice jolly things like the Jubilee celebrations and half-term etc, keeping very upbeat? And also the reassurance that vomiting is not dangerous, is over very quickly and can help people feel better, although I know it's not quite as simple as all that.

Sorry - I'm assuming you are British because you are Mum not Mom.

I was going to suggest that telling her about how stomach bugs are somewhat preventable by good hygiene, etc., and that you can't just catch them from being around an ill person, would be a good idea, but I suppose it may encourage obsessive hygiene. I know I was reassured to know how they spread and how I can try to protect myself, but that's from an adult perspective.

So sorry to hear your daughter is going through this at such a young age, but I also think that her youth will help her to be receptive to therapy. I'm sure, as I said, there's a form of cognitive-behavioural therapy aimed at children which would hopefully have a 'fun' sort of emphasis? Do let us know how you get on xxx

i remember being that age and having this phobia, i am now 30. its great that youve realized and acknowledge that this is a serious problem as it could lead to depression, ocd, anxiety disorder , or eating disorders. but you dont need to go through all that. until you can see a profesional i think you should try talking to her and letting her know that you understand this fear and are not trying to minimize it. because this fear is very real to us. im sure you know that what she needs most right now is your support. good luck .

I'm so sorry that your child is having a hard time. It's great that you've realised that you need help. Your first step is to see your GP. They will be able to suggest things for her. I'm going to assume they'd go straight to suggesting therapy since I wouldn't think they'd prescribe meds for a kid so young unless they'd tried therapy and it really wasn't working too well. I agree with talking to her. I remember the first time my mother spoke to me about my phobia and (she didn't mean to be mean) said to me, "You do realise this is a little silly, don't you?" Try not to make her feel silly, though I'm sure this is obvious. Make sure she knows that you understand and that she can come to talk to you about it if she needs to. Good luck, I hope that you and her both get the help you need!
    Come visit my history blog:
    To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.