Welcome to the International Emetophobia Society | The Web's Largest Meeting Place for People With Emetophobia.

Default Thinking of getting pregnant-morning sickness???

I've been recently thinking about getting pregnant. But I haven't all these years because of my emetophobia. I'm terrified of morning sickness the most. Any tips on getting through this? Avoiding it? Meds that are safe? Would talk to my doctor anyway.

And what about throwing up during labor? How common is that? How can you avoid that?

And how do you handle it when your kids get sick or you catch something from your kids?

Please, anyone give me some input. I don't want to pass up on something that could be the best thing in my life because of my phobia.

Default Re: Thinking of getting pregnant-morning sickness???

I was terribly afraid of morning sickness too, I won't lie, it wasn't fun. My second pregnancy was far worse than my first, every pregnancy is different and just because you're pregnant doesn't mean you're going to get it. I never v* from morning sickness. I took ginger pills, zofran and sucked on sour candies.

V* during labor is quite common and happens for a variety of reasons. With my first the IV drugs nauseated me, with my second the BP fell and I thought I was going to be ill but wasn't. Tell the nursing staff your fears, they can help.

As for when my babies get sick, I handle it well. Usually it's from simple things like crying too hard or over eating. The only V* big we've had I gave to everyone!

Hi i didnt v* while preg but i had some n* till 17 weeks. I just ate buttered rolls and crackers. Made sure i always had food in my belly. Letting yourself get very hungry while pregnant =N*. i had an emergancy c section and never v*. Even took the percocett the gave me for pain with no prob. When my little got sick i handeled well. Was able to comfort him with no prob. I didn't get it from him like lilwng said i gave it to him! Dont pass up being a mom. Its the best thing that ever happened to me. It has made my emet better. I am to busy to constantly think of v*. He lives life to the fullest and i learn from him.
    We are each our own devil and we make this world our own hell - oscar wilde

I never got morning sickness while pregnant. Had some n* first trimester and some food / smell aversions (it was during Thanksgiving & the smell of turkey killed me-- go figure!), but no v*. I, too, was scared of v* during delivery, but my dr knew my issues and had the IV Zofran pumping the whole time . Motherhood is the most challenging AND most rewarding thing I have ever experienced. Don't let emet take it from you if it's something you really want. It's amazing!!

Any anti-emet meds that are safe to take during pregnancy? Would def. talk to my doctor anyway but just curious. Is Zofran an anti-nausea med?

Zofran worked great for me when I needed it. You just have to watch for constipation because it is a side effect and pregnancy already causes that. I never v* with pregnancy even though I had a lot of n*. During labor with my daughter, I was starving and wanted food. During labor with my son, I was n*. I told them, and they gave me zofran or phenergan, and I never v*. They are great at making you as comfortable as possible.
    As far as sv, I have usually only gotten d* even when they have been v*. I guess adults tend to fight things off better than kids.

I would love to experience pregnancy. I'm so used to grabbing a compazine when I feel n* and it goes away. I don't know how I'd handle all day nausea. I may not v* as I tend to fight it so hard and nothing ever comes up even if I feel sick. I should discuss all my options with my doctor. She knows about my phobia. I'm just so use to grabbing a pill when I need one.

yer just keep something in your stomach at all times and eat plain crackers or plain biscuits when feeling a bit n* and sip water and quite a lot of people don't v* when they get morning sickness and during labor talk to your nurse or midwife and they can give you stuff i got stuff prepared if i felt sick during labor but didn't have to take it but your mind is also concentrating on other things during labor and handling them after when ill is not as bad as you think as it is like a parents instinct to care for your child

I didn't vomit during my pregnancy although I was naseous for the first two months but nothing worse than what I feel with anxiety nausea. I found that if I was on an empty stomach, the nausea got worse, and I couldn't handle a full meal. But if I ate a little but often, my tummy was a lot better. I had a long labour but didn't vomit or feel naseous or anything like that. When my child gets sick, I panic of course because I'm emetophobic BUT because I never want my child to be emetophobic, I'm very careful not to do anything that might make her learn emetophobia from me, so while I'm freaking out on the inside, on the outside I appear calm cool and collected and I take care of my child and do what a mom should do when their child is sick. I think when you're a parent, you put your fears aside and put your child first. So you do what you have to do even if you're terrified. Having said that, I have never caught anything any time my child was sick - probably because as an adult, I have immunity to all those childhood viruses and such. Being a parent is AMAZING and worth every fear and every time I've had to clean up vomit. If you really want a child, don't let this fear rob you of that. You can do it!!!!

Thanks so much for all your comments. I think I could make it through the first trimester with everything I've read. I do worry about the kids being sick when growing up, if I could handle it, cleaning up the v*. I certainly don't want them to feel ashamed or get the phobia from me. I'm still thinking about it and will start prenatal vitamins and put my husband in boxers just in case we do decide to start a family. Best to be prepared!!