Welcome to the International Emetophobia Society | The Web's Largest Meeting Place for People With Emetophobia.

Thread: I can't eat :(

Unhappy I can't eat :(

I can't eat because of constant nausea caused by panicking that I am going to be sick.
    Everytime I try and put the food in my mouth I sweat and begin to gag. It take me about an hour to finish a meal, that's even if I finish it!
    I don't know what to do. What can I do?
    I'm prescribed fortisip supplements because i'm underweight, but I can't live on those.
    I've also starting taking sertraline 50mg. Anyone know if this 'works'?

(Sorry if i've used any triggering words, first post..)

Thank you

Default Re: I can't eat :(

Would you be able to take a couple of bites of something often all day long instead of trying to eat a full meal in one sitting? Could you maybe manage that? By eating tiny amounts all day long you tend to eat enough by the end of the day, and it also desensitizes you so that you can manage a full meal in the near future.

Don't worry about words, there is no rule here that you need to abbreviate things, it's all preference.

As far as being unable to eat, have you tried talking to your doctor about it? Bring up your fear, and then tell him what happens when you try to eat.
    Are you able to drink? Maybe you can start with some fruit smoothies that you make my blending some fresh fruits and yogurt. If that sounds good to you I can find some recipes.

I agree with Out as well, perhaps try eating teeny bits of food. Are there any foods you crave or really love? Maybe that can be a motivator!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

You may find these links helpful!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

I've been trying to eat small amounts at a time. Sometimes it works, sometimes it doesn't.
    Yeh ive spoke to the doctor, i've been referred for emetophobia and anxiety therapy. Anxiety treatment will be in about 3-4 months, but the waiting list for emetophobia is longer.
    I had a panic attack not so long ago today, and it lasted for about 15 minutes. I was in the last stage of nausea, and I actually retched (Nothing came up thankfully! Scary though!)
    Drinks are ok - usually. I saw a dietitan and I told her I want a meal plan containing only drinks/liquid. She said that isn't possible, or rather it is but only by blending my food. Which she doesn't condone because food is 'safe'. Rationally I know this but i'm just so terrified of vomiting! Argh!
    Some fruit smoothie recipes sounds good..

I can empathise with you Sophie I too went through this and I think you've been given some really good advice so far. I also started off by writing a list of all my favourite foods, and I would not try to eat a full meal. I had my own 'special plate' which was smaller than a full size dinner plate, and would just have small portions, so I wouldn't feel daunted by a big meal, and if I managed to eat that would feel I had achieved something. It is true that its easier to manage more liquid foods like smoothies and yoghurts when you feel this way, or maybe ice cream. Don't try to force yourself, wait until you feel hungry and have some appetite. Maybe you could try soup? if you felt like something more savoury? as a change.There's nothing wrong with Fortisip if that's all you can manage, just try introducing other foods gradually, at your own pace.

I sympathize with you. I'm having the same problem. As soon as I put anything in my mouth my stomach starts to go crazy and then so do I. I haven't eaten in a week and barely drinking any liquids, I try to drink because I start to feel weak, sore, and dizzy. So then I panic some more but I think logically it's from not eating but I can't bring myself to eat. I hope you find an answer and feel better. Sorry I'm not much help, but I do relate.

Quote Originally Posted by sophie1992 View Post
    I've been trying to eat small amounts at a time. Sometimes it works, sometimes it doesn't.
    Yeh ive spoke to the doctor, i've been referred for emetophobia and anxiety therapy. Anxiety treatment will be in about 3-4 months, but the waiting list for emetophobia is longer.
    I had a panic attack not so long ago today, and it lasted for about 15 minutes. I was in the last stage of nausea, and I actually retched (Nothing came up thankfully! Scary though!)
    Drinks are ok - usually. I saw a dietitan and I told her I want a meal plan containing only drinks/liquid. She said that isn't possible, or rather it is but only by blending my food. Which she doesn't condone because food is 'safe'. Rationally I know this but i'm just so terrified of vomiting! Argh!
    Some fruit smoothie recipes sounds good..
    Perhaps if you blended your food (Though it doesn't usually taste as awesome all mixed up!) and ate for a day or two like that until you felt safe transitioning? That way you're getting the food, and training yourself to know it's safe. Then you can eat those same foods not blended

You may find these links helpful!

Hope you've eaten something. I've ate twice these past couple of days and both times made me feel horrible. I didn't eat anything that healthy either but it still didn't help. Hope you're trying. I've mostly been living on nutrition shakes and they help. Just not right now. But you gotta put something in your system.

I have the same problems with food so remember you are not alone.
    I haven't eaten a meal in years, I survive on snacking of biscuits, crackers and the odd bowl of cereal here and there.. Over the past few weeks though it has really started to affect my health. I am going to the doctors on Tuesday in the hopes that he will prescribe me some nutritional drinks.

A lot of people have told me to just start small. A bite of something here and there and then try to add more as you go along.. I know how hard this is.. In theory it sounds easy, just a little bit at a time but in practice it's a lot harder!

Sorry I don't have any great advice but I just wanted you to know that you're not alone xx