Welcome to the International Emetophobia Society | The Web's Largest Meeting Place for People With Emetophobia.

Unhappy The Emetophobia recovery system..

Hi, i have just finished reading up on The Emetophobia Recovery system and it seems something which will fix me.. Ive suffered for extreme Emetophobia leading to agoraphobia, depression and social anxiety disorder, i have hardly left my house of the past 2 years, all i can manage is small drive in the car or a dog walk, i cant even eat dinner at the table with my parents. I need to get this sorted, its driving me crazy and i want my life back, i want friends again, i want a life worth living.
    I know all my problems stem from Emetophobia and even though my doctor is pushing for me to sort out my anxiety, that wont work i know nothing will make my anxiety or fear go until i get rid of this phobia!

So... here's the thing, will this help? does it work? is it trusted? my mum is really sceptical about it and i know she wont part with the money until she knows is 1005 legit and will actually help me. I have tried CBT but couldn't do it because i cant leave the house, i tried hypnotherapy but didn't go back because i could've leave the house... i think this is the only way, please, will this help? is it trustworthy? i really need some advice on this. it seems brill reading about it but how do i know if this is all 100%.
    If anyone has tried it, or knows about it, or just anything you can tell me about...

Thankyou so much for taking the time to read this, any help will be much appreciated.

Default Re: The Emetophobia recovery system..

The thing is, the anxiety is what causes you to have the phobia. You can have anxiety without a phobia but you can't have a phobia without anxiety. Trust your doctor. Sorting out the anxiety will greatly help you to deal with your emetophobia.
    Come visit my history blog:
    To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

I don't think I've read a post where anyone has said they were "cured" using the Emetophobia Recovery System. So I don't know if it will work for you or not. I too am skeptical of programs that promise a cure. I think, like Kaydee said, that you have to work on your anxiety, the old fashioned way, and then your emetophobia will lessen. I don't think anyone completely overcomes this fear for the simple reason that EVERYONE hates vomiting and doesn't want to do it - even people without this phobia. But I do believe we can reach a point where this fear doesn't take over our life. That's just my opinion. Maybe if someone has been cured using this program, they can post about it.

Quote Originally Posted by out_of_order View Post
    I don't think I've read a post where anyone has said they were "cured" using the Emetophobia Recovery System. So I don't know if it will work for you or not. I too am skeptical of programs that promise a cure. I think, like Kaydee said, that you have to work on your anxiety, the old fashioned way, and then your emetophobia will lessen. I don't think anyone completely overcomes this fear for the simple reason that EVERYONE hates vomiting and doesn't want to do it - even people without this phobia. But I do believe we can reach a point where this fear doesn't take over our life. That's just my opinion. Maybe if someone has been cured using this program, they can post about it.
    Yes! This is mostly what my therapist used to tell me. Everyone hates vomiting or seeing someone else vomit, it's just we emets take that dislike and run with it until we're so afraid it takes over our lives. People who do this kind of thing (not purposefully, of course) are generally anxiety sufferers already, or prone to it.
    Come visit my history blog:

It's really hard to say what will work for you. Have you tried any anti-depressants to combat anxiety? Are you suffering from any gastric disorders?

Quote Originally Posted by KaydeeJayde View Post
    The thing is, the anxiety is what causes you to have the phobia. You can have anxiety without a phobia but you can't have a phobia without anxiety. Trust your doctor. Sorting out the anxiety will greatly help you to deal with your emetophobia.
    Right! Well put.

I've read some good things about the program here. It sort of makes sense that people that have been helped by it wouldn't be in forums about emet anymore so I don't think there's going to be posts about those experiences.

The thing is, you're not going to be cured over night. I'm currently reading it and going through the steps and exercises. This is something you have to work hard at. You have to think positively. You WILL beat this. You and I can beat it together. I have good vibes from this recovery system. I have read many reviews giving it a thumbs up and truly what he talks about makes sense. You just gotta keep your head up high and keep at it. Do not give up. You will have your bad days with your phobia and your anxiety, that is bound to happen, but it gives you more chance to learn something about yourself and to see what went wrong and how you can fix it the next time around.

The great thing about the ERS is that it's guaranteed meaning if you aren't satisfied with it you can get your money back. The guy who wrote it owns this site and I've cyber-talked with him lots. So you can give it a try but if it's not for you then you can send it back.
    For more info about emetophobia and treatment:

DISCLAIMER ~ Any advice I give on this forum is well-intentioned and given as to a peer or friend or for educational purposes. It does not in any way constitute psychotherapeutic or medical advice. Please discuss anything you may learn from my posts with your doctor and psychotherapist prior to making any decisions or changes or taking any actions.