Welcome to the International Emetophobia Society | The Web's Largest Meeting Place for People With Emetophobia.

Smile Time to kill this phobia!

Okay, I've decided to take back my life! But I need help. I will taper away from my meds, but I need some... advice on withdrawal. Mirtazapine withdrawal is scaring me as much as my Promethazine. How do I cope with added stress and nausea/vomiting? My sleeping will become screwed, badly from withdrawal. I've felt no response from Mirtazapine other than ire, so the slowed bowels aren't helping the issue. How should I start my fight against this fear? (I refuse to waste time on any more meds)

Default Re: Time to kill this phobia!

I think as far as weaning yourself off of the medication, that is a doctor question. They know your body better than we do

Also, there is no shame in medication helping take out the phobia!!! If that is your sole reason for coming off them, rethink it :P No matter what though, definitely talk to your doctor. Get multiple opinions from doctors if you think it's needed

The links in my sig show how I started combating emetophobia, and some of them have useful tips I wish I had known when I started. Hopefully they can help you out! Calm breathing was essential for me.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

You may find these links helpful!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

I think you should always taper off medication under the supervision of a doctor. I also think that deciding that enough is enough with this phobia is a first very important step, so you're already well on your way to recovery. Expect that it won't be easy, expect setbacks, but don't give up. Be ready to deal with some real uncomfortable feelings but don't give into them right away. I learned in therapy that if you make yourself stay with your fear without running away (or taking a pill), the more you do that, the more you chip away at the phobia. It works... but it's hard!! I guess if it was easy, we wouldn't have this damn phobia, would we? lol

My Psych prescribed me Seroquel a month back, but I want to be drug free and I think he's fucking not telling me something. Anyways, yes, I'll talk to my Psych about waining off from Remeron. He was going to switch anti-depressants because Remeron did nothing. Anxiety, I can deal with if nausea isn't present. But the only setback I'm fearful of is Vomiting. I know my mind. Instead of a setback, it will click the reset button xD And yes, I'll check the links out.

Maybe you can try non-medicinal ways of treating nausea as you wean off the drugs and work on your phobia. I use a combination of ginger (ginger Gravol to be exact) and Seabands wrist bands. Ginger tea is also good, peppermint tea, chamomile tea. Sometimes something as simple as popping a mint in my mouth helps.

I'll probably always keep Promethazine or other anti-emetics for scary situations, but I'll definitely look into natural stuff ^^