Welcome to the International Emetophobia Society | The Web's Largest Meeting Place for People With Emetophobia.

Default When Did Vomiting Become "Fun" ????

So as part of my therapy, I'm watching Youtube videos of people vomiting and I cannot believe the number of people who do the Ipecac Challenge, The Cinnamon Challenge, The Banana and 7up Challenge, The Milk Jug Challenge.... and every other "challenge" imaginable in order to vomit FOR FUN! There is one video (I won't post it) where 4 guys are sitting on a bench in a backyard with buckets in front of them, each drink a FULL GLASS of ipecac after one of them announces "We like to party!!!!!" (puking is partying???) and then they each proceed to vomit violently, repeatedly, one by one, while the others laugh and cheer them on. I don't get it. I am painfully aware that emetophobia is an irrational fear and so the way I react (and most of you react) to vomiting is not normal, but when did vomiting become "fun" and a recreational thing normal people do to "party" ?? Did I miss the memo? I really don't get it. Has my extreme irrational fear of vomiting made me so out of touch with reality that I just don't see why ANYONE would WANT to vomit, least of all for the fun of it? And it isn't just one or two nut jobs, there's a hell of a lot of people who do this!!! So it makes me think that vomiting really can't be that bad at all, otherwise why would sooooooooo many people video themselves vomiting ON PURPOSE and then post it online for the world to see while everyone laughs and laughs and laughs like they're having the time of their life. What am I missing? And why can't I think of vomiting like that? I don't know if I'm angry, confused, or just jealous!

Default Re: When Did Vomiting Become "Fun" ????

ow my word thats madness..things some people do..even none emets wouldnt do that unless your mad..its bad for you to v* to much so i dont know why they think its fun..people with eating disorders reck there insides..so thats the same with the rest of us..your bodys only made to v* when it needs to..well so they say) but to v* for the fun of it after a while will reck your in sides..they are mad..they must not have done there research..

I don't think most of these think it's "fun", just that it's humorous to a lot of people, hence why it's also in tons of movies and TV shows. Then some people in any group of friends will be "the funny ones" and will want to go to any extreme to make their group laugh. Plus the fact that these people don't see v* as being as extreme as we do.

Also, with the milk/cinnamon ones, since they are "challenges" I'm assuming part of the aim is to beat the challenge. Probably some of these people look at whatever it is and think "of course I can ingest this, I've ingested way more" (or way worse, if it's something gross).
    emetophobia shmemetophobia! -
    To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

I think lots of people do the Cinnamon Challenge not realizing that vomiting is fairly common with it. I have a few friends who have done it without a problem. I won't lie, the little dragonesque poof of cinnamon cracks me up.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

You may find these links helpful!

You are soooo right! I am doing exposure as well and can't believe the stuff people videotape! I saw a milk challenge the kid did for $5!!! And there was a little girl about 8 watching him and laughing too!! My therapist laughs because I get so angry when he shows me these...how utterly stupid. But hey, if it can help us in ANY way to overcome this fear, then it's better for us!!

I dont know...it's strange I think. Vomiting should be a private thing unless you really can't help it, but it's sorts like poopin your pants in my eyes. You wouldnt poo your drawers for a laugh right? Lol

Quote Originally Posted by Erica1649 View Post
    I dont know...it's strange I think. Vomiting should be a private thing unless you really can't help it, but it's sorts like poopin your pants in my eyes. You wouldnt poo your drawers for a laugh right? Lol
    Exactly!! LOL!

Cinnamon challenge is funny. It isn't usually vomitus coming out, so I'm not timid, laughing at them. Bannana and Sprite, 7up, or whatever actually tells me why I get SO NAUSEATED when I eat a banana or two and drink Sprite for a quick snack. But I do think the people who try the Ipecac challenge are idiots. Pure idiots. 99% of people who ingest that vomit, and that's a literal statistic. A really friggen funny challenge is the Ghost Chilli.

Oh god im a 14 year old emet so as you can imagene all of the people in my class think that all these 'chalanges' are halarious and all end up doing them on the field while i run away as far as i can so im out of ear shot, and way way way ot ouf sight (out of sight, out of mind right haha) I basicly think they are all insane. HOW COULD IT EVER BE FUN?! Oh honestly the people i have to put of with every day haha

Thanks everybody for sharing your opinion on this. I did some of my "therapy" as soon as I woke up this morning and saw a mom driving while her son was videotaping her. This woman clearly has a very weak stomach and easily triggered gag reflex. Well, her son is upset because of the way she's driving (she appears to be driving fine to me) so he thinks it's "fun" to make his mom gag while she's driving, so he starts talking about an issue that she's very sensitive to. As soon as he begins to mention it, she gags. And he laughs And he talks about it some more, and she retches and tells him to stop or else she's going to vomit, and he laughs some more and keeps talking more.... and on and on. All the while I'm thinking, OMG if that woman begins to vomit while driving they could get into an accident! Apparently the son didn't think this because he was laughing his head off. So apparently not only is oneself vomiting on purpose fun or entertaining, but apparently making others sick is hilarious too! Ugh.

I can't explain why others torment gives certain people pleasure, perhaps it's the reactions they give? I cry with laughter when people fall, but die when fat people fall. Time for ze research!

Anyone remember that scene in Bridesmaids where all of the girls get food poisoning while shopping for dresses? I watched it in a full theatre and it was HILARIOUS to almost everyone in there. Vomiting really is comedic to a lot of people. And this included d* as well. I myself even cracked up laughing. If you've never watched that scene, I recommend viewing it a few times, because it truly shows that getting sick can happen to anyone and it's not all that terrible. It's helped me a little at least.

Out of Order,

Your post intersects with so many topics we've discussed around here. We have to start by remembering that we're not emetonormal. We think about vomiting a lot differently from most people. Most people are more averse to nausea than to vomiting. That's why most people puke within half an hour of feeling nauseated: They'd rather vomit than deal with nausea.

People who do milk challenges, cinnamon challenges, etc., are not emetonormal either, but they're closer than we are. They generally dislike vomiting but have decided that the worst part is the nausea, and with a challenge, not only is there no nausea, but you get to decide what it will taste like. So they agree to throw up milk or cinnamon or wasabi or what have you for the sake of the party or the fun of it. The fun they get being in a circle of friends outweighs the discomfort they feel of a few seconds of puking.

Your amazement at somebody puking for $5 relates to a poll I did on here about how much money people would have to be paid to vomit. Almost half of emets say they wouldn't puke even for a million dollars. Of those who will, most want a million. In the real world, most people puke every year and they do it for nothing. So somebody in that video got $5 for something that is no big deal to them that they will probably do again in the next few months anyway. http://www.emetophobia.org/showthrea...How-much-money

I should also point out that some of the videotaped vomiting is done by people with emetophilia, who get a sexual turn on from watching people vomit, thinking about people vomiting, or in these cases, making people vomit. We've discussed emetophilia on IES many times. See some of those discussions here: http://www.emetophobia.org/tags.php?tag=emetophilia

I think the bottom line is that for most people vomiting is on about the same level as scraping your knee is for us. I would have no problem getting a scraped knee through some physical activity and letting someone record me cleaning it up and putting a bandage on it. But there are people with a phobia about blood or knee scrapes who would be absolutely aghast. For most people, vomiting is just something they do occasionally. It's not something earth-shattering for them.

Doug
    To learn more about emetophobia, see

I don't get it either, but I've never been of the mindset that finds any bodily function funny. Even as a kid, when someone would belch or pass gas and other kids would laugh, and I would be like

To me it was just gross/annoying, and a lot of people find those two traits amusing. I will never in my lifetime understand, but they will never understand my emet in their lifetime either so I guess we're square, lol.
    "This is impossible."
    "Only if you believe it is."

"I stood yesterday. I can stand today."

I envy those people. I did do the cinnamon challenge and it did not make me v* whatsoever. Lol. I watched those videos as well when trying to get over this phobia. Long term though, it did help me with my fear of others but not the fear for myself. Haha. I know v* is not bad I did it 4 years ago and it made me feel better. I am just scared that I will do it in Public.
    Tumblr :

Facebook :

Youtube :

~No matter where life takes me, find me with a smile.
    ~

So one of my staff members has pictures of a hot dog eating challenge on her fb page. I was lookin through and there was one of it on the ground. I had a feeling something would be there and I made myself brave to look through the pictures. I even commented on the picture...ewwwwww and that was it. It didn't make me feel anxious surprisingly....hooray? But still grossed me out.

This goes back to the original posters question. There is nothing fun about vomit especially when it can be avoided you know :-:

Hello there! I have wondered the same thing actually. One of my friends told me that her and I would do the milk challenge one day and I'm just like "Nooooo thanks." I have debated on the cinnamon challenge because the only thing I really worry about with that is suffocating. For myself, I don't care as much about vomiting when it comes to alcohol and stuff. Sounds weird but I just don't because I feel as though I can sort of stop myself from doing it. Also, I feel as though I won't care if I do actually vomit because my mind will be so clouded by the alcohol I feel as though it won't make me as scared of doing it. I was drinking after someone who threw up once and while I normally would have flipped out over it, I didn't care as much because I had alcohol in my system.
    As for people thinking that vomiting is funny, for some people it can be. My dad thinks that nasty stuff like that is hilarious (I think it's mostly a guy thing). My ametophobia has gotten better because I'm actually able to see vomit and be around it without freaking out. I have even shared a laugh about it before as long as it's not something serious.
    To answer your last question in a nutshell, there's nothing wrong with thinking that throwing up is not fun or funny. There are plenty of people that aren't emetophobic that think that stuff like the milk challenge is ridiculous and gross.