Welcome to the International Emetophobia Society | The Web's Largest Meeting Place for People With Emetophobia.

Thread: Cannot Eat

Default Cannot Eat

Hi,

I've suffered with this phobia for as long as I can remember.. It has gotten progressively worse as the years have gone on to the point where I can hardly eat because of the fear.. In my eyes if the worst was to happen then I would rather have an empty stomach. Also anytime that I do manage to eat something I am sure that because I have food in my stomach then it will cause me to be *S*

It is affecting my health badly. I am severly underweight, I have no energy or motivation. I think I may be lacking in iron because I have all the symptoms of anemia.. I know that I need to eat but I am just so scared. Just the thought of eating the smallest thing causes me to have massive panic attacks.

I've been to countless doctors but none of them take my problem seriously and most of them have never even heard of this phobia.

Has anyone here suffered with not being able to eat and overcame it? How did you manage it?

Thank you in advance for any help or advice xx

Default Re: Cannot Eat

Yeah I went through a phase of not eating, but not worry you, it can still make you vomit on empty stomach, as it can upset the stomach acid, try and eat stuff that is easy to indigest, and small amount, but you need to eat to build at your amune system, remember small amount but often then you feel a lot better, trust me I have been there.

Ive been there too. I was done to 88 lbs and im 5'3". I started realizing how bad it was when i looked at a pic of myself and i saw how skinny. I started with food i was confortable with , grilled cheeses, bagels, stuff like that. When i realized it wasnt making me sick and i felt better over all i started eating more things. I got preg ate everything in sight, gained 40 lbs and have kept on 20. Man do i look better lol. You can overcome it. Do it in baby steps
    We are each our own devil and we make this world our own hell - oscar wilde

I used to have trouble eating. Okay, I still have a little trouble, but it is getting better. Eating healthy foods, like fruits and vegetables reassure me that I won't be sick most of the time, and it helps to eat things that you have prepared. I understand the whole, this food might not be safe, thing. Also, taking probiotics helps me get over my fear, too.

I used to not be able to eat at all-- was even hospitalized for anorexia for a month about 10 years ago. I totally understand the fear. Now, I am a healthy weight and focus on "food for fuel," meaning even though I may not ENJOY eating and am afraid sometimes, I know I have to eat to fuel my body, as well as the all-important immune system . Eating out is another story... I do my best to step out of my comfort zone and do it anyway, as I have a toddler and don't want to hinder her because of my fear. I just cannot stop the thoughts in my head, thinking about every detail. I don't really cook, because I tend to stick to my "safe foods," and also the thought of meal preparation is just soooo overwhelming for me. Again, something I want to work on, both for my husband and daughter and also so as not to let this damn phobia win! Baby steps, though, right? When I eat at other peole's houses (very rarely lately), I use little tricks, like nuking my plate in the microwave to "kill germs," lol, which is kinda crazy, I know. I also weight train in the gym which helps me to focus on health, strength, AND helps with my appetite . I mean, what's the point of working to build lean muscle if I'm not feeding them properly? Anyway, sorry so long. Just wanted to let you know I have been there and it was a long & difficult road out, but the hope is it can be done!! A nutritionist helped me a ton, too!!

i actually started limiting my diet deliberatly to avoid getting sick when i was about 11. at first it was just limiting junk food, but it got out of hand, my head made me think eating too much of any food would get me sick! sooo at 13 i was 4'10" and 28kg. really tiny and sick. when i was told how sick i was, i slowly started eating more more and now at 16 i'm 5'2" and 45kg. still a bit small, but healthy wieght for my height. anyway, the weird thing is, after those couple of yers of focusing on healthy foods, i realised i found it intersting, and am planning on being a nutritionist after i finsih school! although, at the moment i have a new food battle- various stomach problems have started popping up, causing more nausea, which is pretty gross. but am still looking forward to studying nutririon. and getting better from these stomach issues! maybe even see a nutritionist or dietician, as they will be more likely to get emet than doctors, and be able to help you with eating.