Welcome to the International Emetophobia Society | The Web's Largest Meeting Place for People With Emetophobia.

Thread: ultimate fear

Unhappy ultimate fear

hi everyone
    stoked to see others out there that understands his fear

I remember being young and having the flu, asking my dad to pull over and as i got out i got sick. sad thing is my fear is so intense that i dont know if that was real or a dream!! I am 26yrs old and suffered food poisoning in April but managed to avoid throwing up. That made me realise that my system is so well trained because of this phobia. I am scared EVERYDAY....
    When my husband burps or coughs i can feel my heart race.... when i hear water running in the bathroom I am so worried that he is throwing up i call out to see if he is OK while planning my "escape" in the back of my head, if he is throwing up.
    I dont drink....
    never been on a cruise ship...
    take sleeping meds when driving long distance...
    make a run for it when our dogs gags....
    ANYTHING TO AVOID VOMITING!!!

all i want is a normal day...a day that does not revolve around fear.
    I want kids...my husband wants a big family as he is the only child....but my fear is holding us back!!!
    IT JUST SUCKS!!!!!!!!!! I NEED HELP....

Default Re: ultimate fear

Hiya

Can totally identify with everything you've mentioned and more no doubt! I believe it is possible to get over this fear though- not 100% perhaps but to have a day where the fear just isn't so huge. Over the past year or so I've done my best with bringing my fear, anxiety and little 'rituals' under control... All started with my brother (who I'm pretty certain is an emet also although won't admit it) saying 'there is no point in letting something so natural as fear of throwing up ruin your life. just say, "f*ck it" and try to ignore the n* feelings when they come.' He said a lot more than this- it was a long conversation with me.

It easy to say and much harder to deal with but small steps etc each day are helping me to just get one with my life! I do have those moments when everything reverts back to square one and I'm pretty sure I'll be fighting this fear for the rest of my life. I can manage it day to day now though...yet turn into a quivering wreck when the n* is really bad!

Just to say it can get better although unfortunately it's likely only you can make it happen!

Default Re: ultimate fear

Yes, this fear is as powerful as you make it. As of now, I'd seek out medical advice on dealing with your anxiety. Also, try researching vomiting, how it works, most common reasons for vomiting and so on. Though researching might get you anxious towards certain situations, it will decrease the amount of grip this devil has on you.