Welcome to the International Emetophobia Society | The Web's Largest Meeting Place for People With Emetophobia.

Default Hospital update plus antibiotics .. Help!

So I went to the ER at the Children's Hospital yesterday, because of what we thought was a torn ligament. They did an X-ray and blood tests and found nothin so we came back today and had an ultrasound. Apparently I have a cellulitis infection, so they are putting me on an antibiotic for 7 days called "Cephalexin" (brand name, Keflex) the side effects say 'common' side effects are n*, v* & d*... I'm so scared to start taking them tonight
    I'm on 1000 mg twice a day :/ help please! Has anyone had experience with these medications? Also, should I perhaps take a Gravol or Ativan as an anti-emetic?

Default Re: Hospital update plus antibiotics .. Help!

I have heard of it before, but I haven't taken it. But I am famous for taking meds that have n and v as side effects but have never gotten sick from them! The way I protect myself is (as long as it doesn't say to take without food or not with a certain kind of food) I have a snack and take it afterwards. Yogurt is a big one I will take it with! Good luck and I am sorry about your infection! Get better!!!

Quote Originally Posted by JellyBn83 View Post
    I have heard of it before, but I haven't taken it. But I am famous for taking meds that have n and v as side effects but have never gotten sick from them! The way I protect myself is (as long as it doesn't say to take without food or not with a certain kind of food) I have a snack and take it afterwards. Yogurt is a big one I will take it with! Good luck and I am sorry about your infection! Get better!!!
    The pharmacist said with or without food is fine, and that it may reduce my chance of side effects. I really hope it is true! I might have some toast or yogurt before my pill tonight!!

I have never had a issue on it- eat some yogurt every day while youre on it

Quote Originally Posted by Mousey View Post
    I have never had a issue on it- eat some yogurt every day while youre on it
    Gonna get my mom to go to the store tonight! I'm still really scared though. I might get her to pick up some probiotics while we're at it. I was on Amoxicillan for a UTI when I was 10 (5 years ago) and didn't have any issues with it.
    Last edited by ♥Lizzie; 06-25-2012 at 08:14 PM.

The thing that you have to remember with antibiotics is that some people are sensitive to them, and those are the people who get the side effects. If even a few people report nausea and vomiting from the medication, they're obligated to put it with the side effects because it CAN happen. The common side effects generally only happen to those people who are sensitive whose bodies don't react the best to it. Yoghurt or probiotics are a good idea to keep your body balanced while you're on them, and eating something before you take your pill (I usually go with a piece of toast, or a small sandwich) should help you as well! I hope you get better soon!
    Come visit my history blog:
    To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Well.. Here goes nothing. I just took my first dose. My mom also made me take half a Gravol cause I was beginning to have a panic attack.

I say you try it out.. start small and work your way up most of the times the sideeffects are minimul and most people never get those side effects at all.. they just have to put it on the label for the very few who might get the side effects. If you start to feel sick STOP the medication and let the DR know they will most likley have an alternative for you... best wishes

I jus took my second dose - I don't know whether it's all in my head or if I'm actually experiencing side effects, but I'm feeling slightly nauseous.. Although it might be just my anxiety working up?

DANIIX333 is right. They have to report possible side effects from people that noted the effects even if it was 1 in a 1000. People have been given placebos and told side effects and have reported those side effects even though it was nothing more than a sugar pill. Like I told the girl on Macrobid. It sounds contradictory but having a meal in your stomach lessens any stomach problems, its the having no food in your stomach that will cause the medication to irritate the stomach. It is one of the milder medications you could take as far as being easy on the stomach as well.
    You are best not to read the medication reports. I know I had to stop reading them or I worked myself up.
    Dance like no one is watching. Sing like no one is listening. Love like you\'ve never been hurt and live like it\'s heaven on Earth.

I have made sure to take my pills with a meal and have had a few cups of yogurt as well.
    I don't know what's happening now, but I'm lying on my couch, really really tired but restless and jittery, kind of "unable to relax." I feel slightly headachy, and wobbly, a bit nauseous (however I am having my 'anxiety lump in my throat' as well.

The headache might have been from bad posture while on my laptop? I had it with me on the couch. Otherwise idk what's wrong ): I would take a gravol or Ativan but I have training for my summer job tonight and I'm not allowed to miss it. (they both make me super drowsy and make me sleep for a LONG time. Help!

I had a bad reaction to Keflex... three days after taking it I broke out in a rash from head to toe and it itched SO BAD! But that was it... they told me to stop taking it and put me on something else. Nothing gastrointestinal though.

Honestly the only time I have ever heard of someone puking from antibiotics was when they took them on an empty stomach and the medicine indicated it had to be taken with food!!! Once they ate they felt a lot better