Welcome to the International Emetophobia Society | The Web's Largest Meeting Place for People With Emetophobia.

Default New to this and need some support :( SV has hit my house... HARD! freaking out

Im sorry this is long, but please read!

Hey everyone my name is Dani i am 19 years old, i am so happy i found this site because i need some support. A little backround on my phobia.. ever since i can remember i have been a pretty severe emtaphobe..I remember being in like the 2nd grade freaking out because the boy next to me "didnt feel good". A year and and 4 months ago i actually got the SV from I dont know where or how because im so clean and wash my hands constantly.. everyone told me it would cure my fear but it only intsified it 10 x worse... it affects my every day life because i often avoid certain situations and when my friends and family convince me enough to go to the gathering or party i think about people being infected with the SV and start having anxiety.

My fear is me throwing up.. i cant stand the feeling before.. the feeling during just anything about it i am terrified. I am a control freak and you cant control where and when you will feel the need to V* I can see other people V* but only as long as i know i cant catch it.. example is if someone at college drank to much and starts V*ing.. i can handle it and i can help them... But if i hear someone has the SV on campus i FREAK OUT and look up on FB who thier friends are and what classes they have just to avoid it.

ANYWAY. So my situation right now...

Wendsday night my little sister age 13, had a friend sleepover.. that friend winded up V*ing AT MY HOUSE at 2 am in the morning ... when i woke up the next morning and heard the news i was almost in tears.. because i know what is to come (time for the panic & anxiety). My mom knows how much i freak out.. but dosen't understand that it is a ligitmate fear and anxiety.. she thinks im just over dramatic and dosent really take me seriously

SO... i stayed downstairs AWAY from my sister and away from upstairs.. not to my suprise.. Friday night (around 9pm) my little sister started V*ing.. again i haven't even been upstairs at this point becuase i just knew.. the next morning (saturday) my mom said she felt weak and tired and slept all day although never even felt sick to her stomach.. just weak and tired.. (mild case). THEN on Saturday night (1 am) my dad felt sick and was in the bathroom all night.. never threw up but felt sick.. Sunday, he actually threw up once. Today everyone is all better even all ate a family dinner which i did not attend because im so scared ... I still have not went upstairs where all the V*ing happend, but my dad likes to stay downstairs where my room is and he wont stay upstairs no matter how much i tell him how scared i am to get sick. my parents get annoyed when i ask them these kind of things they always tell me "if you get it, you get it.. its not the end of the world" they dont understand!

So for the past 6 days ive eaten out everyday for lunch and dinner... and pretty much only come home to sleep... i keep myself busy during the day (work, shopping, rollerblading, hanging with friends) anything to stay away from my house and all the germs inside..

My mom told me she cleaned everything with Lysol III which i read the can it kills Rota&Noro viruses but i just feel like its not enough to let me go upsetairs and enjoy my family's company yet i feel like my parents are taking it personally... my mom said "we miss having you around the house" today and that got me sad because they know im avoiding them bc of the SV.

My question is what should i do since my dad wont stay upstairs? Do you think upstairs is safe yet? if not how long should i avoid it? and my grandmother is flying in from Florida on Friday.. i warned my parents that virus could still be in the house and get her sick.. but they keep telling me theres nothing they can do other than to clean everything :'( They don't beleive me that she can still get it even though they have been feeling bettter for 5 days... im so scared that ill get it still and that if my grandmother gets it, it will start this whole cycle of living in my car and at friends houses for a week, and all the worrying and anxiety.

please help & again im sorry this is so long!

Default Re: New to this and need some support :( SV has hit my house... HARD! freaking out

Hey! I completely understand your fear!! Honestly, I think you're in the clear though - if it's been 6 days and everyone is feeling better I'm sure you'll be fine

Default Re: New to this and need some support :( SV has hit my house... HARD! freaking out

I'm sorry that this happened I think you can go back to the house though. It's not spread through the air or anything, the only way you can catch it is by ingesting fecal or vomit particles (gross, i know). At this point, if your family has cleaned correctly, the only way they can spread it is by not washing their hands after using the bathroom. Talk to them and tell them to please do that consistently! Also, YOU should wash your hands before eating and after using the bathroom, that's the best defense.

If you're worried about how they cleaned. Use Clorox Cleanup with Bleach, or even better, a bleach and water mixture (the proper ratio is on the CDC website). It's not too likely that you'll get it now though!
    PM me for contact info such as skype, email, or facebook. Thanks!

Thanks so much guys, today everyone is still feeling good.. im still avoiding upstairs my brain wont let me lmao its terrible i feel like the second i go upstaris ill pick it up somewhere... ill keep you guys posted thanks again

I sounds like it hit everyone pretty darn quick, so it you were to get it, then you would have had it by now.

You are not alone!! I was all freaked when my husband came down with it and we only have one bathroom. Remember, the only way to get it is to ingest it. So, either getting it on your hands and then placing your hand in your mouth or being RIGHT next to someone who was sick and "inhaling" the particles. I went to town with Lysol and bleached everything. If it makes you feel better (which I had to do), get some gloves on and do the cleaning yourself. You know that you have hit the places that need to be cleaned. Deep breaths and i think you should be totally ok! It is "catchable" for three days after, but they could still "shed" it in their poo up to two weeks after. But this if they don't wash their hands after using the bathroom. Just make sure yours are and you should be fine!

Thanks i know! i just feel like my parents dont take it seriously.. they keep telling me they feel better so its all over i dont have to worry.. they dont understand that they still shed the germs . But of course ill do my best hand washing and cleaning whatever is possible

oh my gosh that sounds like a nightmare O_O i'm so sorry that it hit your house! but i know from experience that some pretty extensive cleaning with lysol can kill the virus; my brother was v*ing and my mom knew i was scared so she lysoled and no one else caught it.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

my mom tells me the same -if you get it,you get it.it's not the end of the world. They just don't understand us!
    I now how you feel,but I suppouse you didn't get sick last summer when I was with my family on vacation,my brother got sick! I was terrified. I started to cry and I was expecting being sick every minute. That ruined my vacation. He threw up once that nigh but he had fever so I was scared. I thought my parents would get sick and I was suspicious about the food mom prepared..but nothing happend,luckily.
    I supose you didn't get sick and I'm glad for you.